After Life Page 3

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 17th May 2019, 10:27 AM

Is it likely to be released on DVD? I gave the free trial of Netflix a go but it's too bandwidth heavy for my metered connection, even on low quality.

If you've got a multi-region DVD player, it is available on Region 1 on Ebay on an Emmy Consideration DVD. I ordered one to add to my collection, it's a nicely packaged box.

I doubt it'll ever get an official UK DVD release, if I'm honest.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 17th May 2019, 10:27 AM

Is it likely to be released on DVD? I gave the free trial of Netflix a go but it's too bandwidth heavy for my metered connection, even on low quality.

Do you still have the Netflix trial running? I can't download the series on my laptop browser version, but I just tried to download an episode on to my iPhone and it was happy to let me...so I would guess any mobile device would allow it. SO...even if your wi-fi isn't that great, you could still wait for it to download, then watch the entire series, offline, straight from the saved video files? Episodes are downloaded separately, so you could delete each one as you watch...and download a further episode...if memory is limited. Just a thought.

Gervais seems to be a pioneer for change in sitcomedy on several fronts from his mockcom style to his sudden switch from comedy to emotional drama, his legendary/notorious comedy of awkwardness still influencing many shows today and his increasingly sadness themed projects. Some may liken it to Classical Greek comedy and drama, I'm not sure if he's aiming to be that serious or pretentious because his best stuff imo is instinctively funny, politically incorrect humour which many liberal critics find offensive, which makes it even more pleasing. He's nearer to Benny Hill than Ben Elton but for his modern anti trad sitcom format he's very insistent on.

His comedy is so good it's a shame he's got it wrong on his format and seems to be responsible for turning sitcoms into comdrams. I suppose it's not his fault he's got so many sub par imitators, it just proves how very good at his craft he is. I hope for a return to good quality trad studio sitcoms and if we ever get them again they will be a huge breath of fresh air to the sub Gervais stuff they've been shovelling onto the sitcom schedule. Keep Gervais' stuff going because it's high quality just stop the conveyer belt production of poor quality imitators. Please.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 19th May 2019, 7:49 PM

I hope for a return to good quality trad studio sitcoms and if we ever get them again they will be a huge breath of fresh air .

I lost all hope for something like "Red Dwarf"

A laugh a minute.

What a series - intelligent, sensitive, by turns hilarious and heart-breaking. Yeah, it does get a bit preachy at the end, but I guess they it had to. They couldn't really have ended with 'Ah, f**k it, I'll tot meself anyway and hereby kill off any gem of hope and the chances of a second series.' TV doesn't get much better than this.
By the way, did his wife have a stalker with a webcam following her 24 hours a day? Can't've helped her condition.

Apparently there's a third season coming. The words It and Milking spring to mind.

80 million people have viewed it. Gervais made a joke about the other 20 million Netflix subscribers that haven't.
80 million?? Opium for the masses as Marx once said.

80 million? That's more than my Open Mic Zoom shows.
80 million and 1 now cos I've seen it.
There can't be much more to say.

I think Netflix defines 'viewing' a show as watching two minutes of it, so 80 million probably sounds far more impressive than it actually is.

It was RG himself that tweeted it. But you seem to know better.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 8th August 2021, 7:55 PM

It was RG himself that tweeted it. But you seem to know better.

I'll ignore your passive aggression (I can't be arsed with yet another pointless BCG argument) and just answer your point. Gervais got those figures from Netflix. I think how they calculate those 'views' is potentially flawed. I watch plenty of shows for a couple of minutes before moving on to another, that doesn't mean I've watched the show properly, far from it, but Netflix will still count me as if I had.

And practically everything Gervais says is tongue in cheek. I've listened to him give interviews and by the end I'd no idea if he was being serious or not. Well I had really, but the constant irony he uses is what makes him so entertaining, in my book. Some find it irritating, apparently.

Quote: chipolata @ 8th August 2021, 8:50 PM

I'll ignore your passive aggression (I can't be arsed with yet another pointless BCG argument) and just answer your point. Gervais got those figures from Netflix. I think how they calculate those 'views' is potentially flawed. I watch plenty of shows for a couple of minutes before moving on to another, that doesn't mean I've watched the show properly, far from it, but Netflix will still count me as if I had.

Netflix don't really know how many people are watching a certain show, not in an empirical way.
They know if you click on something etc - and the Ai knows if you've started something and haven't finished (hence reminders to 'continue watching'.
They're much more interested in subscription figures - if they can correlate that with new content coming onto the platform, that's what takes them sit up and take notice.
This from conversations with Netflix,

I do love Netflix but it completely f***s with how you watch and interact with TV, so I'm not surprised that measuring viewers is incredibly difficult.