Good American sitcoms that aren't Seinfeld or Curb Page 2

1. Barry s02.

2. This week I really dig "Grounded for life", it grows in comic and artistic cense from s01 to s05,
s03 is the best IMO - very funny and deep. IMDB website

In 2011, the show was remade by the BBC as "In with the Flynns". BCG page for it US original series are much better, highly recommended.

Frasier
M*A*S*H
Golden Girls
Third Rock from the sun

Six feet under.

I've been enjoying The Mindy Project recently. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is also fantastic. The Good Place is also worth a watch for managing to discuss philosophy and be funny at the same time.

Bob Newhart's sitcom, imaginatively titled 'Newhart', was great. Try searching for 'world's smallest horse' on YouTube.

Edit: Dont bother - here it is (is that Brent Spiner?? I hadn't noticed before).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU3IPSAys8s

Another brilliant 'Newhart' clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2H-9OmErYQ

>'Taxi' still stands up well, I'd say.

>'Sledgehammer' is a lot of fun.

>'Soap' was completely nuts.

'WKRP in Cincinnati' was very likeable.

Only 2 pages long?

Proves that the only Yank comedies worth the name are MASH and Cheers. Oh and Soap!

Quote: Chappers @ 1st July 2019, 10:48 PM

Only 2 pages long?

Proves that the only Yank comedies worth the name are MASH and Cheers. Oh and Soap!

No, it just means that the 7 people who visit the BCG aren't very adventurous!

You can't go wrong with 30 Rock
if it hasn't been mentioned already

Quote: Text Lexus @ 1st July 2019, 10:30 PM

Bob Newhart's sitcom,

I love Bob Newhart, genius, but also:
* The Larry Sanders Show.
* Police Squad (and the ensuring movies)
* And as someone else mentioned Frasier, arguably the best sitcom to date (in my opinion)

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 2nd July 2019, 10:58 AM

You can't go wrong with 30 Rock
if it hasn't been mentioned already

And if you like that, try Great News as well.

I've never seen 30 Rock. These American sitcoms just seem to go on and on so I wouldn't know where to start. Maybe I should ask Julie Andrews.

Anyway - yes - Police Squad is wonderful.

The original Roseanne had a good balance of humour and covering serious family issues without over doing it. Shame the revival went down the drain the way it did.

From ancient times Phil Silvers in Bilko.
I don't think he was ever on British TV but Jack Benny should have been.

Quote: john tregorran @ 3rd July 2019, 2:11 AM

From ancient times Phil Silvers in Bilko.
I don't think he was ever on British TV but Jack Benny should have been.

The Phil Silvers Show (a.k.a. Bilko) is possibly the funniest sitcom I've ever seen. To its eternal credit, I don't think it's ever aged in terms of its capacity to entertain and I don't think it ever will. It's as funny today as it was in the 1950s.

I don't remember ever seeing Jack Benny in his own show on British TV. I wonder why we never imported the show?

The mighty Community deserves a mention. Like Arrested Development, struggled in the ratings, but unlike Arrested didn't piss it all away at the end (although there were a couple of seasons that didn't hit the heights of earlier ones).

And fans of Dan Harmon should check out Rick & Morty, one of the finest animated around.