Storyville

Series of documentaries from different countries around the world, and this week was from Germany. Now if you had seen the film "Downfall" this would be even more fascinating as it is the memories (along with previously unseen horrific clips of films) of a 103 year old woman who was in that bunker "Downfall" was based around.

This is the BBCs blurb: -

"A German Life: Goebbels' Secretary Remembers"

A Storyville documentary. The extraordinary story of Brunhilde Pomsel, secretary and stenographer to the Nazi propaganda minister, Joseph Goebbels.

Fascinating.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00052bf

I have it on reliable authority that, in the lowest circle of Hell, Herr Goebbels and other senior Nazis are obliged to watch the latest BBC dramas and sitcoms 24 hours per day after being told that they are an accurate representation of ethnic diversity across Europe in the 21st-century.

I have it on equally reliable authority that their howls of anguish are making it difficult for other residents of Hell on the higher levels to hear each other speak.

No Millwall supporter from a council estate who goes commando and calls his pals the P word or the N word when they are sharing a flat together and are, in truth, warmer than the average married couple in a group sense ever sent anyone to the gas chambers. Much the same is true, although I say so through pursed lips and with pinched cheek, of the Jocks who go to the old firm derby just to rub their willies from under their kilts into each other's faces, machetes or not. I can't speak with such unequivocal certainty about the Welsh who harbour Al Qaeda camps behind their looms, leeks and three-ply boxer shorts because of paranoia about being rogered. As for the Irish, they are frankly a y fronts law unto themselves - I wouldn't advise the jews, gays or the gypsies that they could be entrusted to so-called Gaelic care - or anybody else. .

Hey Will Gav, my karaoke song is Solomon Burke's Don't Give Up On me but you could have guessed that fairly easily.

For a small man my voice is so unfeasibly low and for a white man my voice is so gospel. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqcDG_xLWPY

(not that I would want to be freaked out by your eavesdropping) :)

Quote: Rood Eye @ 15th May 2019, 12:47 AM

I have it on reliable authority that, in the lowest circle of Hell, Herr Goebbels and other senior Nazis are obliged to watch the latest BBC dramas and sitcoms 24 hours per day after being told that they are an accurate representation of ethnic diversity across Europe in the 21st-century.

The lady did say she didn't realise how bad it had become until she came out of prison 5 years later, as she thought the concentration camps were "correction" camps - her former boss for example who was discovered to be homosexual was taken away and never seen again.

And some of the (usually American amateur) footage showed German citizens made not only to gaze on the piles of rotting bodies but to also make them bury the victims in either individual coffins/graves and mass graves, after having to transport the corpses, in some cases, on barrows carrying two of three at a time. It seemed the intention was to ensure they all knew what had really been going on as it seems nobody outside of Hitler's coterie knew the full extent of the horror.

This it seems, was borne out by Brunhilde Pomsel, the 103 year old (the secretary and stenographer to the Nazi propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels) who also spoke of an iron box in which were kept very secret papers relating to the camps. She stressed how it would be difficult for people NOW to understand how anyone THEN could not know what was going on, but she said that that IS the way it was - the German people were oblivious to how heinous it all had all become.

The Nazis, over a period of several years, killed 6 million sentient beings because they believed the world would be a better place without them.

Non-Nazis kill 56 billion sentient land-dwelling beings every year because they taste nice.

If we include fish, the total number of victims every year rises to about 1 trillion.

While not wishing in any way to condone what the Nazis did, it might be argued that they have the higher moral ground.

Stalin had a lot to answer for, if not more - I've always found it odd that he is not spoken of in the same breath as Hitler. Is that because he was "left wing"?

(shit, there's a knock at the front door. I'll be back in a minute.........................or not)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th May 2019, 12:21 PM

Stalin had a lot to answer for, if not more - I've always found it odd that he is not spoken of in the same breath as Hitler. Is that because he was "left wing"?

When it comes to murdering innocents, it's now generally agreed by experts that Stalin and Hitler are not separated by much in terms of victim numbers.

I think the reason Stalin's crimes are not burned into the consciousness of every man, woman and child in the civilised world is probably that the survivors of his regime do not control the world's media.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 15th May 2019, 12:34 PM

........................... is probably that the survivors of his regime do not control the world's media.

Given the current climate, I think it best neither of us goes down that road!

I think the reason Stalin's crimes are not burned into the consciousness of every man, woman and child in the civilised world is probably that the survivors of his regime do not control the world's media.

Congratulations! You're an antisemite.

Any more of that and you will be permanently banned from British Comedy Guide.

Quote: Aaron @ 16th May 2019, 1:01 PM

You're an antisemite.

In the context of my post, there's nothing even remotely anti-Semitic about what I wrote.

If I'd been writing a serious article on a serious website and had therein accused the Jews of secretly running the world to the detriment of everybody else, you might have a point.

However, this is a comedy website and my remark was ironic. It was addressed to Herc who, I think, understood completely that I was quoting a controversial conspiracy theory to provide a funny answer to the question he posed.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 16th May 2019, 1:35 PM

It was addressed to Herc who, I think, understood completely that I was quoting a controversial conspiracy theory to provide a funny answer to the question he posed.

Perhaps do that in private then. This is a public forum and multiple other people reported your post as racist.

Quote: Aaron @ 16th May 2019, 2:18 PM

Perhaps do that in private then. This is a public forum and multiple other people reported your post as racist.

Apologies to all who were offended.

But is it true?
I don't know, but if it's true...

When it comes to murdering innocents, it's now generally agreed by experts that Stalin and Hitler are not separated by much in terms of victim numbers.

I think it's probably because Stalin was our "Ally".