Countdown Page 5

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 14th May 2019, 9:03 PM

I may be a bit of a Countdown Nerd but I'm also an Elvis impersonator so the cool balances the nerdiness, anyway I digress

Yes I like Countdown - cool, but I don't like Elvis. Nerdy! Presley I presume although I'm a big fan of Mr Costello.

The lesser of two Evils

I haven't watched it for ages but I used to be friends with somebody who was a contestant on it. He lost but it's still very much the pinnacle of his life.

Quote: chipolata @ 16th May 2019, 6:40 AM

I haven't watched it for ages but I used to be friends with somebody who was a contestant on it. He lost but it's still very much the pinnacle of his life.

Did he catch a feel of Rachel, Carol or Susie? That's what would stick in my mind. Lovey

Quote: Chappers @ 14th May 2019, 11:03 PM

I'm a big fan of Mr Costello.

Went off him as soon as I heard the lyrics to "Oliver's Army".*

* "Oliver's army is here to stay; Oliver's army are on their way" - one could argue that an army should be considered either a single entity or a plural entity. But not both at the same time. Absolute nonsense!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 16th May 2019, 7:09 AM

Did he catch a feel of Rachel, Carol or Susie? That's what would stick in my mind. Lovey

He wouldn't enjoy that. He was the most weirdly asexual person I've ever known. Almost like a plant.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 14th May 2019, 9:03 PM

I may be a bit of a Countdown Nerd but I'm also an Elvis impersonator so the cool balances the nerdiness, anyway I digress

But if anyone else here watches Countdown regularly look out for a guy called Elliot starting Thursday.
I say starting because even without knowing any of his results he will win all 8 and the final

So if you want to watch one of the best Countdown players around and see loafs of words you've never heard of and rounds with 5 vowels then tune in to what should be quite impressive.

I don't know any of the results I just know him from the online Countdown ripoff site Apterous

If anyone fancies a game on Apterous you can do a free trial on it
Anyway I'm not here to plug that

Just to say we might be seeing a very special Countdown player starting Thursday if anyone is interested

That was indeed very impressive. About the only word with which he came up of which I'd heard was "urinatied". Which is basically what I thought he was taking most of the time.

I can't believe he missed Sidecars in one of the rounds
Sorry for hyping him up

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 16th May 2019, 5:13 PM

That was indeed very impressive. About the only word with which he came up of which I'd heard was "urinatied".

You might have heard of it, but those who can spell who follow this thread prefer "urinated".

Did you Steve?

They are both lovely, even more up close, Nick too

Elliott also broke the all time Countdown record with a very impressive 152 points
He got 3 nines
I only got the last one watching from home, but was happy enough with that

He;s got 6 games left so have a watch of the greatest Countdown scorer of all time, I would not be surprised if he broke his own record next week but it depends on what letters come out and how many points are possible

I did end up playing Elliott online in an online tournament last night where the rounds lasted 3 seconds
I lost 121 to 49
But I did beat him in one round which I was happy with
Here are the letters in case anyone wants a go

AOEBSNLAI

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 18th May 2019, 10:20 PM

It depends on what letters come out and how many points are possible

Really?

Regarding the puzzle I declared 8 so I think he had to as well and his was disallowed
Anyone get an 8 from AOEBSNLAI ?

Firstly RIP Des O' Conner of course

and sad to see my close personal showbiz friend Nick Hewer is set to step down