After Life Page 2

The only weak point I pick-out with Gervais' material, is the predictable ending.

You knew that he would come good and do a gesture of good will for those he apparently despised.

He's making a second series. I wonder how he will write his character this time round. Isn't his character now 'awake' to a new lease of life and basically isn't mean anymore?

I don't know how much Ricky is worth these days but it has to be eight figures - or ten if you include the pence - so why on earth would he consider making a second series when the chances of its being anything but a pale shadow of the first are so slim?

The story ran its course during the first series and it was a brilliant mixture of comedy and tragedy.

I'd be surprised if it worked in a second series but, having said that, this is Ricky Gervais we're talking about so who knows?

I would guess that it's worked for him, in the past, and it's going to make him more money, so why not?

All of his sitcoms have had two series, plus a special, aside from Life's Too Short, which was his weakest, IMO.

I have to say, I don't know what he'll do for a second series of After Life, but I do have high hopes for it.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 17th March 2019, 4:58 PM

I don't know how much Ricky is worth these days but it has to be eight figures - or ten if you include the pence - so why on earth would he consider making a second series when the chances of its being anything but a pale shadow of the first are so slim?

The story ran its course during the first series and it was a brilliant mixture of comedy and tragedy.

I'd be surprised if it worked in a second series but, having said that, this is Ricky Gervais we're talking about so who knows?

Apart from his love of writing dramady, it also massages his ego somewhat.

I think he lives for good feedback. When it is negative feedback, he's a bit of an arse.

Life's too Short and Derek were somewhat weak comedies. Especially LTS - which was surprisingly, at the time, not groundbreaking or original. Clearly was a morph of Office and Extras intertwined.

I preferred Life's Too Short to Derek, but, then, I'm a huge fan of Warwick Davis. He's a bloody good sport...and a very handsome guy, in my opinion.

I don't think a second series of After Life will be difficult. There are a lot of good character set-ups now. Why does Tony have to stop being sarcastic and critical of the world around him, just because he's realized he shouldn't be OVER nasty to people, who are probably having just as harder time as he is, but for different reasons. Corr, that was a long sentence...sorry, everyone.

There is now scope for Ricky to, not only highlight the problems he exposed towards the end of series one, but also find even more faults with society to share with us. I, for one, will be very happy to follow Tony on his emotional journey into another series. I think the feedback he's received for After Life will encourage him to build outwards from this format. I hope so, anyway.

I watched every episode in one sitting today and I would happily argue that it's the best thing Gervais has ever written. Episode 4 in particular, the scene between him and Penelope Wilton was outstanding, as was his acting in the scene with the brother in the office when he's breaking down. Equally, the scenes between Ricky and Kerry Godliman showing their relationship was lovely. And the catharsis of the 'not giving a hoot how rude he is' scenes, the charity worker one I actually whooped.

I thought the budding romance was his hook for the next series. Maybe he'll be addiction to heroin ? The newspaper staff were a very interesting collection of characters, he must be tempted to take them another series. I hope so.

Another series confirmed. Very pleased about that indeed.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 6th April 2019, 10:54 AM

Another series confirmed.

He wouldn't let it lie! Angry

I agree with Sitcomfan64.
I also watched all episodes in one sitting and in such way it was perceived as emotionally loaded (if not intense), otherwise it wouldn't be so absorbing (I suspect). It is an "emotional sitcom"(?)

Quote: rrr 969 @ 16th May 2019, 6:25 PM

It is an "emotional sitcom"(?)

Certainly is rrr. Sad comedy seems to be the new thing; Fleabag, Mum, Flowers, Jeremy Kyle. Even the Office was tinged.

Quote: Firkin @ 17th May 2019, 7:47 AM

Certainly is rrr. Sad comedy seems to be the new thing; Fleabag, Mum, Flowers, Jeremy Kyle. Even the Office was tinged.

Pathos can be an essential in comedy - look at Steptoe & Son.

Quote: Firkin @ 17th May 2019, 7:47 AM

Sad comedy seems to be the new thing; Fleabag, Mum, Flowers, Jeremy Kyle. Even the Office was tinged.

Luckily for people who like a laugh without a simultaneous wailing and gnashing of teeth, "Mrs Brown's Boys" continues to fly the flag for producers, writers and actors who seek only to make us laugh without promoting any socio-political agenda or trying to be producers, writers and actors of serious drama.

Several excellent sitcoms have been tinged with sadness (even OFAH) but "After Life" was wasn't one of them: it was effectively a situation tragedy tinged with humour.

Is it likely to be released on DVD? I gave the free trial of Netflix a go but it's too bandwidth heavy for my metered connection, even on low quality.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 17th May 2019, 10:27 AM

Is it likely to be released on DVD? I gave the free trial of Netflix a go but it's too bandwidth heavy for my metered connection, even on low quality.

At some point, probably. Might be a wait though.