I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,042

I was in the audience at an episode of Vanessa with a friend and remember I had a terrible cold so everything tasted of bread. My friend got up to speak in to the mic so Vanessa came over to us and you could see me on TV wearing one of those novelty blurry t-shirts that had "I'm not as think as you stoned I am". I liked Tricia and Kilroy but Jeremy Kyle show was a weak Jerry Springer wannabe. Jerry never shouted at his guests and had respect. And now for my final thought.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 15th May 2019, 1:02 PM

According to newspaper reports today, the Jeremy Kyle show has been cancelled permanently.

Hopefully, we shall not see its like again.

Word on the street is that Channel 4 or 5 might take Jeremy Kyle and put him and his show right back on the air.

At the end of the day (and in the morning, apparently) the TV industry is all about bums on seats, and the Jeremy Kyle show can put a million bums on a million seats - and that's bloody good for 9:30 AM.

Just when we thought it was safe to go back in the waters of morning TV! :O

I'm betting the tooth fairy is skint.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 15th May 2019, 5:14 PM

Word on the street is that Channel 4 or 5 might take Jeremy Kyle and put him and his show right back on the air.

Anybody hoping for a career in comedy writing would never suggest that channels 4 & 5 were unethical mercenaries.

So I shan't!

The BBC is in turmoil today as somebody has noticed that episode two of the second series of "Killing Eve" shows Villanelle watching "The Jeremy Kyle Show".

The Kyle show episode is entitled 'Don't Blame Me For The Death Of My Dad'.

I'm not making this up!

Quote: Rood Eye @ 16th May 2019, 11:05 AM

The BBC is in turmoil today as somebody has noticed that episode two of the second series of "Killing Eve" shows Villanelle watching "The Jeremy Kyle Show".

The Kyle show episode is entitled 'Don't Blame Me For The Death Of My Dad'.

I'm not making this up!

You sort of are! Laughing out loud

I can only find a bit about it Mail Online, that bastion of sensible journalism. Even they struggle to make it sound like anybody at the BBC is in turmoil over anything, with one bland nothing quote from the BBC. It's almost like a non-story!

Why is it only now that the government & the regulatory bodies have become concerned about this and similar programmes? Especially as I read in the papers that a programme called "Love Island" (no idea what that is or was) has already suffered two suicides.

Isn't the art of good management to foresee the potential problems of any situation in advance rather than to wait for something to go wrong and then belatedly do something about it. That's management by panic, which is all too prevalent in most organisations these days.

The show exploits people with mental health issues. Why would any stable person want to admit on TV they have no idea who the fathers of any of their kids are...and agree to publicly announce the paternity test results. Anyone at ITV worried about the kids involved and what effect this might have on them in the future? Nah...who cares. It draws on all the people who thrive on juicy gossip and take pleasure from other people's misery. Very cringeworthy TV.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 16th May 2019, 5:07 PM

Why would any stable person want to admit on TV . . . ?

I can answer that without even reading the rest of the sentence.

Some people will do absolutely anything to get on TV.

Some years ago, there was a fairly rowdy late-night programme for younger people in which my proposition above was proved beyond any doubt whatsoever.

I think the segment of the show was called something along the lines of "What would you do to get on TV?" and, every week, the producers dreamt up the most of appalling things for people to do - and people were queueing up to do those things, simply to get on TV.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 16th May 2019, 5:25 PM

I can answer that without even reading the rest of the sentence.

Some people will do absolutely anything to get on TV.

Some years ago, there was a fairly rowdy late-night programme for younger people in which my proposition above was proved beyond any doubt whatsoever.

I think the segment of the show was called something along the lines of "What would you do to get on TV?" and, every week, the producers dreamt up the most of appalling things for people to do - and people were queueing up to do those things, simply to get on TV.

Sounds like the section on The Word and they would always precede it by saying "I'll do anything to get on TV" The worst one I remember was a twenty something guy licking a very elderly ladies armpit. Just to get on TV. I got on TV by being in the audience of The Word and I didn't have to do anything disgusting.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 16th May 2019, 5:29 PM

Sounds like the section on The Word and they would always precede it by saying "I'll do anything to get on TV"

Correct!

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 16th May 2019, 5:29 PM

I got on TV by being in the audience of The Word and I didn't have to do anything disgusting.

Clearly, you were among the more intelligent and civilised audience members. :D

On the Alabama abortion thing, everyone seems to be focussed on the issue which is fair enough I suppose but it was the penalty that stood out to me. Up to 99 years in prison. No one has commented on that part at all. I wouldn't support that here for abortion but do feel that it should be immediately introduced for carrying a knife, exceeding the speed limit by 20mph and the possession of illegal substances like cannabis. This would make the UK the safest country in the world overnight.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 16th May 2019, 6:26 PM

This would make the UK the safest country in the world overnight.

Only if, unlike most other laws & penalties, the police & the Courts actually enforce them

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 16th May 2019, 8:19 PM

Only if, unlike most other laws & penalties, the police & the Courts actually enforce them

Well, that's where the 200,000 extra helicopters and 93 helipads come in.

RAJAR

LBC's listening figures up yet again.

God knows how or why.

Iain Dale, who, if I interpreted him correctly, confessed this week that he was more of an abortionist than he was 15 years ago, had Lab loon Seb Dance MEP on tonight. Personally, I found it a horror show.

A woman rang up from somewhere like a KFC in Brighton to ask if he would accept a referendum result which had a majority for "Leave the EU without a deal". Could he? Could he heck as like. The problem, he said, is that we wouldn't be sure what "leave the EU without a deal" meant or entailed.

Honestly, this is the sort of bloke who one invites round to dinner and at 8pm sharp he has to go off for a dump. It's nice enough in there what with one having earlier put in pot-pourris and the toilet duck but still a bathroom is a bathroom.

"Successful?" one asks on his arrival back in the living room. "Yes, he says, "I was in there watering the flowers". He continues with this line persistently until just before midnight when one puts on one's pyjamas as a subtle indication for him to leave immediately.

But he doesn't drive away until ten past one because he wants another hour and ten minutes insisting that it was all about violas and petunias. I wouldn't mind but there are only marigolds in that part of the bungalow.