Don't Forget The Driver Page 2

Bugger bognor and this!

I feel it's a series that will be watched and appreciated or picked apart for various reasons, then left to quietly slip away again. Now...weeks later, I'm not really remembering it with the same spark of interest I felt when watching. Easy viewing, that's for sure, but also something to be merely absorbed, before moving on to something else...or something...or not...or whatever...

Quote: gb901 @ 30th April 2019, 11:01 PM

Bugger bognor and this!

While I may concur regarding the programme, I'm afraid I cannot agree apropos Bognor Regis.

Ha ha. Poor old Bognor used to be the butt of many jokes but sounds as though it's the only funny thing in this prog. Not sure I'll watch it after the reviews although like the others I find Toby Jones watchable even if the thing he's in isn't that good. But do we need yet another comedy drama?

And on BBC2, not hidden away on 3 or 4 although those in the know would be heading straight to BCC4 following the recent quality of comedy progs put on there. Shouldn't the Beeb be looking for more proper sitcoms, meaning studio sitcoms to put on Beeb1&2? We are awash with comedy drama and non studio sitcoms where I'm not sure what bits I'm supposed to laugh at, if any. Angry

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 4th May 2019, 8:27 AM

We are awash with comedy drama and non studio sitcoms where I'm not sure what bits I'm supposed to laugh at, if any. Angry

You laugh when you think it's funny. How can you laugh if you don't find it funny?

For a short bloke Toby Jones has had an amazing career so far. As for this series, if you take away the human trafficking part of it, it runs very tame and too mild to be really funny. Don't get me wrong I have watched all of it so far. Maybe in years to come it will be a cult or lost classic that just went under the radar. Studio sitcoms are totally played out now unless done right or have writing of a very high level. Al Murray's Sky sitcom Time Gentlemen Please has to be the best from this century.

Quote: tonecapone @ 7th May 2019, 12:25 AM

For a short bloke TOBY JONES has had an amazing career so far.

Only found out the other day that he is the son of the wonderful actor Freddie Jones who is now 91 years old! The first time I saw Freddie on TV back in the 60s I knew he was going to be one of the best...........................and he was..

The penultimate and fifth episode's excerpt where the leisurely chase ensues around the model village/world to the commentary of the would be social media influencer while he records it on video has been the only humorous part thus far, IMO.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th May 2019, 7:14 AM

Only found out the other day that he is the son of the wonderful actor Freddie Jones who is now 91 years old! The first time I saw Freddie on TV back in the 60s I knew he was going to be one of the best...........................and he was..

Ah, the great character actor FJ - remember him well in the 80s films Krull and Firefox.

He had some great film roles his dad, and he was known for chewing the scenery a bit. Toby's a more subtle actor but I wouldn't say as photogenic, can't see him in as many movies, but who knows. Still, he's very good on TV.

Toby Jones seems quite a down-to-earth guy.

Freddie Jones, on the other hand, seemed very much the grand actor - in both his appearance and manner of speech.

In the mid-80s, I was in a pub with Freddie and a handful of other guys when one of them attempted to top up Freddie's half-empty pint glass of beer from a full half-pint glass.

He poured it in a little too enthusiastically with the result that the beer in the pint glass foamed up and overflowed, soaking the table and causing everyone to move quickly backwards to avoid the flood.

Freddie immediately quipped "I like a beer to be lively but I don't expect it to jump out of the f****** glass!"

Much laughter ensued.

This series denouement disappeared up its posterior : the school band funeral woke nonsense and why would someone so cash strapped chuck their phone out the window! The episodes raft of farting just about summed it up.