I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,037

A mixed race person seventh in line to the throne?

If he ever gets anywhere near next in line he will be bumped off in a car 'accident' in a tunnel in France before you can say Dodi

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 9th May 2019, 6:03 PM

It was a daft mistake that anyone can make, especially on Twitter.

Hurty feelings is now almost a crime with the baying righteous mob.

An official apology and keep your head down for a while would have sufficed but no, it'll follow him for the rest of his life as an out and out racist.
The crowd have drawn blood and will wait in their lair for the next one who strays.

Ste I agree about the hurty feely mob but lets have it right if that was your daughter or lad and grandkid what would you think? I also agree his apology should have been enough but he's been getting paid off the Beeb for donkeys and he knows the dance. Meanwhile in the real world Sports Direct sack you for going the toilet wheres the Hurty Feely mob then?

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 9th May 2019, 7:05 PM

Ste I agree about the hurty feely mob but lets have it right if that was your daughter or lad and grandkid what would you think? I also agree his apology should have been enough but he's been getting paid off the Beeb for donkeys and he knows the dance. Meanwhile in the real world Sports Direct sack you for going the toilet wheres the Hurty Feely mob then?

And eating a packet of crisps at your desk.

The answer, mainly, to your question is the once great Newcastle United.

Quote: lofthouse @ 9th May 2019, 6:44 PM

A mixed race person seventh in line to the throne?

If he ever gets anywhere near next in line he will be bumped off in a car 'accident' in a tunnel in France before you can say Dodi

:D

With regard to the Danny Baker scandal, I hear he is now saying he wasn't aware that Meghan is mixed-race.

It's almost impossible for me to believe that he didn't know her mum is black but, having said that, it's even closer to impossible for me to believe he would have tweeted that pic if he had known.

If he did know her mum's black, I don't see him as a racist: I still say he's a decent bloke who must have been smashed out of his effing skull when he did it.

The dangers of mixing social media and alcohol which we have all done but it can be far more dangerous when you're in the public eye. I agree and think it was a fleeting moment when he probably came across that image while surfing and then thought it would be funny to post it online with a caption about the new royal baby. The image itself is completely innocent and was taken probably 50 years ago.

These days the facts seem to get in the way of story that will cause a media storm. This is someone who has been a respected and entertaining broadcaster throughout a long, unblemished career who has never given any reason to think his views are questionable and one online post that has been taken the wrong way has cost him his job and who knows what will happen now. I don't think he has done anything wrong and like he said he never even made the connection and I believe him. What happened to the days when you could call a child a "cheeky monkey" in an affectionate way without someone with nothing better to do complaining. I'm not talking about football terrace shit and that is totally different. I don't follow football and that is one reason why but this was the complete opposite. The BBC handle this kind of thing completely wrong and I hope he takes them to an industrial tribunal for constructive dismissal. How can they dismiss someone so quickly without meetings with HR. Maybe it's all in the small print of the contacts they sign but even if they are officially contractors they still have employment rights. He obviously didn't help his case if he did become rude but who can blame him. Decades of hard work down the pan because of one misunderstood post. It wasn't like he even added an offensive comment.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 9th May 2019, 11:31 PM

The BBC handle this kind of thing completely wrong and I hope he takes them to an industrial tribunal for constructive dismissal. How can they dismiss someone so quickly without meetings with HR. Maybe it's all in the small print of the contacts they sign but even if they are officially contractors they still have employment rights. .

Not sure about this. My company would pretty much sack you for this under Gross Misconduct and bringing the company into disrepute. It's a pretty cut and dried case.

Also, everybody should now know not to Twitter idiotic/offensive things on twitter because unless you're the President of the United States it can pretty much end your career.

I don't see how they can prove it's gross misconduct if he never intended to cause offence and his post wasn't in itself offensive. He says he wasn't making any racial statement so the BBC should prove he was otherwise they have overreacted.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 10th May 2019, 10:19 AM

I don't see how they can prove it's gross misconduct if he never intended to cause offence and his post wasn't in itself offensive. He says he wasn't making any racial statement so the BBC should prove he was otherwise they have overreacted.

I'd say it's pretty easy to prove that a picture comparing a mixed race baby to a chimpanzee is racist. And by doing so he brought the company he worked for into disrepute. Easy win for the beeb in any tribunal. Plus he'll get another job easily at LBC or TalkSport or any other stations of that ilk.

But he says he wasn't making that comparison and I believe him. It's everyone else that comes to that conclusion that makes it a problem.

Top 5 UK richest music stars.................(I'm not going to get into a debate over whether they are worth it or not - pointless), BUT........................... STING 3rd with £200 million - Excuse me? How? Is he VERY careful with his money?

1/. Andrew Lloyd Webber
2/. Elton John
3/. Sting
4/. Ed Sheeran
5/. Adele

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th May 2019, 12:18 PM

1/. Andrew Lloyd Webber
2/. Elton John
3/. Sting
4/. Ed Sheeran
5/. Adele

I wouldn't give you tuppence for a ticket to see Sting, Ed Sheeran or Adele.

Speaking of Adele, "Sometimes it lasts in love" isn't even English.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 10th May 2019, 12:08 PM

But he says he wasn't making that comparison and I believe him. It's everyone else that comes to that conclusion that makes it a problem.

Yes, but remember, he has called the BBC a load of "pinheaded weasels" before now.
Looks like they decided to serve their revenge below room temperature.
Double-win for BBC - get rid of trouble-maker and a big tick in the 'virtue signalling' box.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 9th May 2019, 10:38 PM

With regard to the Danny Baker scandal, I hear he is now saying he wasn't aware that Meghan is mixed-race.

It's almost impossible for me to believe that he didn't know her mum is black but, having said that, it's even closer to impossible for me to believe he would have tweeted that pic if he had known.

If he did know her mum's black, I don't see him as a racist: I still say he's a decent bloke who must have been smashed out of his effing skull when he did it.

What you describe runs very close to what might be termed the Hennessey style defence. For those who know little about football, Wayne Hennessey, a goalkeeper for Crystal Palace aged, I think, 30 was very recently brought before the major footballing authorities to account for what some alleged had been a Nazi salute from him on the pitch. Baker as a football enthusiast should be aware of this as it was discussed widely in the media including on Talksport. WH's argument was something along the lines of he didn't know anything much about WW2 history or who Adolf Hitler was so consequently whatever he did could not have possibly been as others suggested. This to the utter bemusement of virtually everyone outside the room where the case was addressed was wholly accepted by the powers that be without further penalty.

Qualifications to be a pro footballer definitely does not include - must be intelligent or world wisely.
I think you might be surprised how little the yoof of today know about history.
Or for that matter any general knowledge subject.
It is quite feasible to me that he had no idea about the German Nazis.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 10th May 2019, 12:51 PM

I wouldn't give you tuppence for a ticket to see Sting, Ed Sheeran or Adele.

Speaking of Adele, "Sometimes it lasts in love" isn't even English.

Maybe, but why is Sting the third richest (!?!), yet Macca is not even there for example.