Ghosts - Series 1 Page 8

I may be repeating what others have said earlier in this thread. Apologies if that's the case.

I'm surprised at the spirited [:)] condemnation of this series. Perhaps none of these screened in the U.K. but let's not forget the honourable history of quite mediocre but very popular ghost comedies. Topper. The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. Down to Earth. Then there's So Haunt Me, Dead Ernest, Marley's Ghosts....

From what I've seen on YouTube, this one is lots better than the awful So Haunt Me and Marley's Ghosts.

I'm going to give it a chance when it shows up on BritBox.

What's wrong with you lot? 4 episodes in and enjoying it. In fact it is the first new sitcom that I am thinking of purchasing the DVD of. It's witty and clever. Maybe too clever for people nowadays. I don't watch programmes or films based on reviews I watch things and find out for myself because I am not a sheep. Aside from this, does anyone know if there will be a second series?

As Horrible Histories is a successful brand I believe that news of a recommission will occur in next two weeks or so. Merely a guess.

I think this is one of the funniest shows on TV at the moment. Gets better every week.

Quote: chipolata @ 7th May 2019, 12:01 PM

You seem to be getting quite vexed! Listen, if you like a comedy the BCG is probably the last place you want to come and discuss it. We're basically horrible people incapable of enjoying anything.

:)

It's well produced, relatively well acted and has a reasonable story line each week. I've no problems with the theme of ghosts.
However, I truly am amazed that anyone out of childhood actually finds it 'funny'.
Probably why no one finds my scrawls funny!

Quote: comical masterpiece @ 7th May 2019, 8:45 PM

Aside from this, does anyone know if there will be a second series?

No news yet, but I'm expecting so.

While watching this for the first time on the BBC iPlayer, I suddenly realised that the first time I laughed was midway through the third episode, when the "arrow" man (rather predictably) drove his bus into a tree.

What a dismally unfunny show, but completely up to the BBC standard of modern sitcoms. Did it really take six people to come up with the idea?

Quote: Samain @ 11th May 2019, 9:04 PM

Did it really take six people to come up with the idea?

I doubt it, it's more likely one did then formulated it with the rest. It's common now to have team credits even if one is more responsible for it than the other. It tends to lead to better working relationships, that's a current fad depressingly. There's too much of it going on imo, it can lead to compromised woolly writing as in Ghosts.

Many US sitcoms are team developed and are often over complicated for a sub half hour sitcom, some are very sharp on dialogue and humour but somehow lack the soul a solo or duo devised piece does, that's what I think anyway. It still amazes me how many top duel penned (British) sitcoms there are, it seems to be the model to follow but I'd spend the time fighting, not writing.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 12th May 2019, 1:42 AM

I doubt it, it's more likely one did then formulated it with the rest. It's common now to have team credits even if one is more responsible for it than the other. It tends to lead to better working relationships, that's a current fad depressingly. There's too much of it going on imo, it can lead to compromised woolly writing as in Ghosts.

Many US sitcoms are team developed and are often over complicated for a sub half hour sitcom, some are very sharp on dialogue and humour but somehow lack the soul a solo or duo devised piece does, that's what I think anyway. It still amazes me how many top duel penned (British) sitcoms there are, it seems to be the model to follow but I'd spend the time fighting, not writing.

Easier to pass the buck to a team than another individual: much more impersonal and a cop out - but probably more the vogue in these woolly, touchy feely, not want to upset anyone times!

I don't think this is the equivalent of a US sitcom written by dozens of writers. Isn't it more like Monty Python where the acting team have all contributed to it?

Anyway I still think it's bloody funny.

As we all so obviously know humour is subjective.
However, for what it's worth I do not find 'Ghosts' funny by any stretch of my imagination.
So, rather than just accept that some are able to actually find something within to make them laugh e.g. Chappers - "Anyway I still think it's bloody funny", I'd be genuinely interested if any of the 'likers' would be so kind as to give examples of what scenes, or lines even, they have found particularly amusing in order that I might try to understand their position on the matter.
Many thanks in advance.

Quote: garyd @ 13th May 2019, 2:27 PM

As we all so obviously know humour is subjective.
However, for what it's worth I do not find 'Ghosts' funny by any stretch of my imagination.
So, rather than just accept that some are able to actually find something within to make them laugh e.g. Chappers - "Anyway I still think it's bloody funny", I'd be genuinely interested if any of the 'likers' would be so kind as to give examples of what scenes, or lines even, they have found particularly amusing in order that I might try to understand their position on the matter.
Many thanks in advance.

That won't help you, because all you're asking is for us to pick the series apart in order to defend it. Explaining to you why someone else finds it funny is pointless. As a whole, I find it amusing. You don't, so what would be the point of listing what I find funny when at the end of it, you still won't find it funny. It would be an absolute waste of time. It doesn't need defending like this.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 13th May 2019, 6:09 PM

That won't help you, because all you're asking is for us to pick the series apart in order to defend it. Explaining to you why someone else finds it funny is pointless. As a whole, I find it amusing. You don't, so what would be the point of listing what I find funny when at the end of it, you still won't find it funny. It would be an absolute waste of time. It doesn't need defending like this.

Old Lady Leg, sorry but I don't want you to defend the programme.
My interest is from a writer's point of view.
If this is the kind of sitcom humour that is deemed as sufficiently funny these days to be commissioned then I am miles off.
I thought I might be able to gain an insight into other's perception of what tickles their fancy.
I don't want you to waste any time.
Hey ho.