What are you reading? Page 4

Quote: Briosaid @ 4th May 2019, 4:15 PM

It suddenly dawned on me that this thread only has 3 pages when I knew it used to have lots more. After a hunt I found there was another thread - 'What are you reading RIGHT NOW?'. So that's where all my posts have gone. :O

Laughing out loud You have me to blame (look at the top of page 2). THIS is the original thread - the "Right Now?" was a hijack and was in my eyes a stupid title anyway. Whistling nnocently As Aaron started this one I don't know why he didn't "Lock" the upstart.

Stick with this one! I always read it as I am amazed at how many books you are getting through. I am a very slow reader.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 4th May 2019, 4:25 PM

Laughing out loud You have me to blame (look at the top of page 2). THIS is the original thread - the "Right Now?" was a hijack and was in my eyes a stupid title anyway. Whistling nnocently As Aaron started this one I don't know why he didn't "Lock" the upstart.

Stick with this one! I always read it as I am amazed at how many books you are getting through. I am a very slow reader.

Yes, but you're probably cleaning the house while I sit on my bum reading books.

Quote: Briosaid @ 4th May 2019, 6:25 PM

Yes, but you're probably cleaning the house while I sit on my bum reading books.

Laughing out loud Now oddly enough, when I'm reading I'm usually on my bum too, but with me kecks round me ankles..........................

Mayfair? Penthouse?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 5th May 2019, 12:41 PM

Mayfair? Penthouse?

:O DO YOU MIND!! "Naturist Art Studies Monthly" - I get it for the free stickers.

Quote: Nick Rivers @ 7th July 2007, 3:43 AM

The Wind Up Bird Chronicle - Murakami.

This is one of my most favorite fiction by Murakami. Another is Kafka on the Shore of course. But i really enjoyed reading What I Talk about When I Talk about Running

I am reading 3 books for my leisure and another set of medical humanities books for my research. I am reading Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, If I Could Tell it Again by Dr Gayathri Prabhu ( a friend's recommendation) and The Anthologist by Nicholson Baker. They are very different books and they really keep me engaged. I am also flipping through pages of Li Young Lee's poetry. For work, I am looking at students' essays on Psychology and sociology to understand what would it means for students to opt a non-science subject and whether these essays reflect their inclinations.

Now started 'Why Mummy Swears' as I badly need a laugh after 'The Tattòoist.

Self penned?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 6th May 2019, 8:49 PM

Self penned?

Funnily enough, I once read somewhere (when I read 'Why Mummy Drinks') that the writer originally came from Glasgow. Maybe that's why I like her humour so much. Her next book is due out in June - 'Why Mummy Doesn't Give a F***' though the last word is heavily blacked out.

'What she saw last night' - M J Cross. I am scared shitless. Brilliant, and I don't just say this because I know his daddy.

He's written other books under the name Mason Cross ( not his real name) which are all excellent too.

I am currently reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. It's a bit hard going in a few places. I also think it comes across as a bit 'preachy', which, when you think about it, is pure irony given the subject matter.

After that I fancy reading Oolon Culluphid's trilogy of philosophical blockbusters; Where God Went Wrong, Some More of God's Greatest Mistakes and Who is this God Person Anyway? Angelic

Def.

'Close Quarters', Angus McAlister. Brilliant. If you've ever lived up a close or been connected with West end Glasgow, this is the bees'knees. Still trying to work out the murderer, though I have my suspicions

Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee. I love the way he wrote his autobiography and then got famous - shouldn't it be the other way round? 'Guy's written his autobiography.' - 'What's he famous for?' - 'Writing his autobiography.'

What you see is what you get.
Alan Sugar's autobiography.
It's obvious from the first page that he just dictated this book either to a tape recorder or a copy writer.
It's written just how how he speaks.
But it's actually none the worse for it.

Starting (again) Three Men in a Boat.