What are you reading? Page 3

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 2nd April 2019, 9:20 AM

Ok then, when I wrote that I thought there are probably other reasons.
It was just that in the case of the book - she was disecting a body to find the cause of death.

Ah, is that why you said the bit on embalming was gruesome? Eee bah gum, just t'curious lad. ;)

That reminds me of the old Scottish joke:-

Girl asks Jock to lift his kilt so she can see what it's like.

She looks............."Ugh, it's gruesome" she says

"Aye, lassie and if ye ken to look agin, yerl see it's grew some more"

Verbal joke really, but felt it was worth an airing...................the joke that is, not what was under his kilt.

SCENE: Ancient Egyptian pyramid. Interior.

In the gloom, a large group of mummified animals surround a sarcophagus.

MUMMIFIED CAT: Did you leave your body to science?

MUMMIFIED GAZELLE: No. You?

MUMMIFIED CAT: No. Anybody?

ALL: No.

MUMMIFIED CAT: So what the f**k are we all doing here?

END.

Courtesy of Mother's Day - 'The Stalker' - Alex Gray. My flesh is creeping already.

'The Mermaid and Mrs. Hancock' - Imogen Hermes Gower. Only on page 74 but fascinated so far.

Just started 'Becoming' - Michelle Obama.

Now on 'Blood Road' - Stuart McBride. Can't put it down.

'Milkman' - Anna Burns. Booker winner. Think It's about Northern Ireland. Only on page 22 so not sure yet what I think of it.

I would be grateful for any book recommendations about the reign of Queen Elizabeth and in particular her relationship with Walter Raleigh. I read that after a successful voyage by Raleigh that brought back vast riches, the Queen joined in a feast aboard the ship while it was docked and I would love to find out more information about that event. I picture her toasting the success at the dining table surrounded by very well fed and drunken crew.

I can only suggest trawling the internet, which I did for a recent play 're the armistice and found loads of stuff. I've never read any fiction about the event you describe but if it happened, there must be info out there.

Now started the Booker winner 'Milkman'. Not sure what I think as I've only read 25 pages but I do want to read more.

I don't believe in the Mr Men. How could the parents have predicted their kids' traits so perfectly?

Quote: Briosaid @ 27th April 2019, 11:09 PM

I can only suggest trawling the internet, which I did for a recent play 're the armistice and found loads of stuff. I've never read any fiction about the event you describe but if it happened, there must be info out there.

Thanks Briosaid, will do some snooping/sleuthing and also see if there are some pre-internet books at the library. I would be much more inclined to believe events that are mentioned in printed books than online because there is so many untruths out there these days either by design or deficiency. People will deliberately spread information they know is untrue and people will do it because they don't realise it's not true. Even Wikipedia which I regard very highly as a source of reliable facts can't be trusted without checking for references elsewhere like books.

'The Tattòoist of Auschwitz'. I've had it for a while but kept putting off reading it because I thought it would be hard to take.

I've seen the old footage of the children showing their numbers tattooed on their wrists.
Good luck.

It suddenly dawned on me that this thread only has 3 pages when I knew it used to have lots more. After a hunt I found there was another thread - 'What are you reading RIGHT NOW?'. So that's where all my posts have gone. :O