George & Mildred Page 10

Quote: jsg @ 20th November 2018, 5:30 PM

Yeah, Dailymotion is a lot more lenient with this sort of thing than Youtube. Stuff doesn't generally get taken down on Dailymotion unless it's something very popular and very recent.

Aaron's right. If you're not going to buy the DVD at its current price, then fair enough. You could just watch it now, and if you find it for a better price, buy it then. Cool

I'll just watch it on dailymotion and I'll keep an eye on eBay. Hopefully someone doesn't realise it's a rare a dvd and puts it up for a cheap price. It might pop up on itv 3 at some point as well

Did Network read this thread then? MATH movie is being out on DVD and Blu-ray LOL.

So the film version is out of print is it? I'm glad I jumped in straight away and bought mine when it first came out now. I find sometimes that pays off doing that. I guess it depends how badly you want a certain DVD. Ones I don't care about so much I usually wait and see what happens with the price.

Quote: marac @ 5th February 2019, 2:50 PM

So the film version is out of print is it? I'm glad I jumped in straight away and bought mine when it first came out now. I find sometimes that pays off doing that. I guess it depends how badly you want a certain DVD. Ones I don't care about so much I usually wait and see what happens with the price.

There's plenty on eBay where I bought my copy from, and as you say if you wait, someone will offer it very cheap.

In the 1979 George & Mildred episode I've got a horse, why were they using pound shilling & pence in 1979 when decimalisation came in in 1971?

Without watching it back, I imagine it was a joke about how out of date, old-fashioned (and stingy) George is?

Quote: jab58 @ 5th March 2019, 1:20 PM

In the 1979 George & Mildred episode I've got a horse, why were they using pound shilling & pence in 1979 when decimalisation came in in 1971?

In that episode, which was broadcast just a fortnight shy of 1980, the first line of dialogue includes a reference to a recent expenditure of "seventeen pounds fifty" which is correct for the time period.

Later in the episode, Mildred takes a small ceramic horse to a middle-aged antique dealer for valuation, hoping that it's worth £10,000. He tells her it's worth "about thirty shillings".

Back at home, Mildred looks at the horse and sighs mournfully "Thirty bob!"

I think it's understandable that, for many years after decimalisation, people who'd reached middle age in a world of pounds shillings and pence were still thinking in those terms - and that would have been particularly true of people whose lives and careers (e.g. antique dealers) were firmly rooted in the past.

I think it's a very intelligent piece of scriptwriting to have a middle-aged antique dealer talk to a middle-aged customer in terms with which they were both so very familiar. I'm absolutely sure that sort of thing was happening all the time in the late 70s and beyond when middle-aged people were talking about small sums of money.

I still use ten Bob for 50p, especially when buying a coffee out of the machine at work.
'Ten Bob for a cup off tea' I used to work all Saturday morning for that.
My father always said a dollar for 5 shillings. I presume there was a time when there was 4 dollars to the pound.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 5th March 2019, 6:10 PM

My father always said a dollar for 5 shillings. I presume there was a time when there was 4 dollars to the pound.

The pound was worth almost exactly 4 dollars throughout World War II and until 1948.

George and Mildred would have been youngsters during the war and would certainly have known five shillings as "a dollar" and half a crown (two shillings and sixpence) as "half a dollar".

I was watching the film and the caption at the end says is it the end or is it the beginning? I know Yootha Joyce died after the film was released, but what does the caption actually mean? Did they know it was going to be the end during the making off the film?

I don't remember clearly how the story had been tied up at that point, but pretty sure you're over-analysing and it's just an allusion to the characters making a new start. The sitcom continuing. Potential for a second film maybe.

They certainly didn't know it was the end: a sixth series had been written and was due to go into production imminently at the time of Yootha's death. She had kept her illness a secret from everyone.

Quote: Aaron @ 27th April 2019, 1:00 AM

a sixth series had been written and was due to go into production imminently at the time of Yootha's death.

Oh dear, I didn't know that. She was irreplaceable of course. Someone else playing that part would have been an absolute no-no and I'm sure none of us would have wanted to see that if it had be done.

Yes, very sad - and they made the right decision to end the show.

What did they do with the scripts? Are they available anywhere?

Quote: Will Cam @ 28th April 2019, 6:43 PM

What did they do with the scripts? Are they available anywhere?

Wonder if Brian Murphy has his and Yootha's scripts for that final series? It would be amazing to see what they had planned for the last series of George and Mildred.

I heard a rumour, that Thames wanted to do another sitcom involving George, where he was a widower.