Scam! Page 2

Oh dear. :( Can you not report those numbers and get them prosecuted?

when I was at college due to the scheduling of my classes the only job I could get was a call centre job cold calling people so I think in my next life I'm going to come back as a pair of Michael Goves underpants as punishment. We got called in one day to be told our services were no longer required because they wouldn't be able to pay us down to the fact that in one week we'd been reported (and quite rightly so) nine times to the TPS people and the owners got fined a ridiculous amount for each call. In fact the total of all the fines was so much they went bankrupt.

Absolutely despised that job but it was the only one I could get at the time yet the one memory I'll always have of that place is when I called a guy up, did the spiel about what we had on offer etc and the guy threatened me. Not with words, no, with a gun. Not quite sure how that was supposed to have worked, whether he was to rub it on the phone making an irritating noise or what but I just laughed at him, put him on hold and transferred him to the manager.

My record for receiving unwanted calls was fifteen in an hour. I'd just had a landline installed in my flat and within hours I started getting phone calls from numerous 'companies' asking for various different people. One even had the audacity to call me "a f**king liar" after I informed him that he was mistaken about talking to me on that number an hour earlier. Made me wish I could remember the number of the gun guy and asked him to call me back on that number.
In the space of three weeks I changed my number four times because it was getting to the point of every ten minutes or so my phone would ring.
No idea where they were getting my numbers from. In the end I had to turn the landline off and tell people to call my mobile.
Even now, years after it happened, my heart sinks if the landline goes.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th June 2016, 5:33 PM BST

Oh dear. :( Can you not report those numbers and get them prosecuted?

We probably should but they're so numerous and the majority don't show their number. Today we've had about 7 nuisance calls, none of which we've picked up. However 5 of them were from an actual number, so we'll see what happens tomorrow. The thing I don't understand is that I Googled the number and apparently it's some lot doing various scams. How come the Police don't nail them?

I don't think anyone knows I exist.

We do and don't you dare forget it.

"
Even now, years after it happened, my heart sinks if the landline goes."

Exactly the same here mate we don't have the landline plugged in because of all the cold calls.

Quote: Sarc @ 30th June 2016, 6:50 PM BST

when I was at college due to the scheduling of my classes the only job I could get was a call centre job cold calling people so I think in my next life I'm going to come back as a pair of Michael Goves underpants as punishment. We got called in one day to be told our services were no longer required because they wouldn't be able to pay us down to the fact that in one week we'd been reported (and quite rightly so) nine times to the TPS people and the owners got fined a ridiculous amount for each call. In fact the total of all the fines was so much they went bankrupt.

Absolutely despised that job but it was the only one I could get at the time yet the one memory I'll always have of that place is when I called a guy up, did the spiel about what we had on offer etc and the guy threatened me. Not with words, no, with a gun. Not quite sure how that was supposed to have worked, whether he was to rub it on the phone making an irritating noise or what but I just laughed at him, put him on hold and transferred him to the manager.

My record for receiving unwanted calls was fifteen in an hour. I'd just had a landline installed in my flat and within hours I started getting phone calls from numerous 'companies' asking for various different people. One even had the audacity to call me "a f**king liar" after I informed him that he was mistaken about talking to me on that number an hour earlier. Made me wish I could remember the number of the gun guy and asked him to call me back on that number.
In the space of three weeks I changed my number four times because it was getting to the point of every ten minutes or so my phone would ring.
No idea where they were getting my numbers from. In the end I had to turn the landline off and tell people to call my mobile.

Very interesting and eye opening!

Quote: Sarc @ 30th June 2016, 6:50 PM BST

I've had loads of call centre jobs but only a few that involved outbound canvassing calls because I'm terrible at selling and people hate sales calls. In the 90s me and a friend got a job selling Kirby vacume cleaners and we were given a phone book and a small booth with a telephone. We had no training on the vacume cleaners and just had a script to read out. I think we lasted a week before we walked out. The booths were covered in graffiti of previous victims who couldn't stand the heat.

I can't stand the abuse 999 operators get and I saw this first hand when I used to work at BT taking 999 and operator 100 calls. There were frequent callers who would say they are ill and need an ambulance even though there was nothing wrong with them. Or idiots who would call 999 and then yell down the phone "AAAAAGGGGHHH WE'RE PISSED UP BELL ENDS AT A PHONEBOX".

It was a busy day in downtown Shingle Street as I was frantically listing my latest eBay sales and running out of time to get in before the deadline I had set myself, when the phone rang - it was the guy (they all sound the same to me) who rang before telling me he was from Microsoft and there was something wrong with my PC.

It was hot and I was harassed so the last thing I needed was this phone call.......................................

And boy! Did he get it!! I gave him both barrels and think the only word I didn't use was the "C-word"

You effin' twat do you bleep bleep bleep bleep think I've just fallen off the top of an effin' Christmas tree you effin' bleep bleep bleep bleep..................

As I took a breath, I heard him say
"Oh dear..........now you behave!"

No I won't you effin' twat, now effin' piss off you efffin' bleep bleep bleep
FUCKING PISS OFF!!!!

And.....................relax :)

Must be the season Angry

Just had a phone call that was a recorded message from BT to say my Internet connection had been compromised and would I press button 1 to speak to their engineer or button 2 to disconnect my service.

(I'm with Virgin, by the way)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 26th April 2019, 6:54 AM

It was a busy day in downtown Shingle Street as I was frantically listing my latest eBay sales and running out of time to get in before the deadline I had set myself, when the phone rang - it was the guy (they all sound the same to me) who rang before telling me he was from Microsoft and there was something wrong with my PC.

It was hot and I was harassed so the last thing I needed was this phone call.......................................

And boy! Did he get it!! I gave him both barrels and think the only word I didn't use was the "C-word"

You effin' twat do you bleep bleep bleep bleep think I've just fallen off the top of an effin' Christmas tree you effin' bleep bleep bleep bleep..................

As I took a breath, I heard him say
"Oh dear..........now you behave!"

No I won't you effin' twat, now effin' piss off you efffin' bleep bleep bleep
FUCKING PISS OFF!!!!

And.....................relax :)

It's very common for these people to have already interfered with your internet connection, so it's already playing up and going slow. Then they ring, because they already have your connection details and hope the person on the other end is open to the idea that they are indeed from Microsoft and can fix the slow connection.

I ALWAYS got a call like that after my internet had just slowed to shit. These are the most frequent spam calls I received. Now the blocker I have stops them...and others, but I still experience the same slowing every now and then, so I'm guessing they still try to ring, but get blocked or get the message asking to identify themselves and decide not to bother. Now...any time my connection goes stupidly slow, I immediately disconnect my laptop from the internet and reset the router.

I was told their ability to put interference on my line is just that...and not linked to an ability to access files on my laptop...but it's still an excuse for them to phone to ask for details that will then allow them to do so.