Ghosts - Series 1 Page 4

Just watched the first episode. It was very slow paced and I agree with others that there are too many characters and none of them are particularly likable, so I don't care about them. The boyfriend is just annoying.

I saw that is was devised by 6 people? That is very strange.

Haven't watched this. Not sure if there's a yet. Judging by the posts I'll probably find reading them more entertaining than the sitcom. Read the blurb and to be honest if a producer read that as a logline pitch they'd probably see promise in it. But going by the awful trailer, I thought 'how did it get past the script reading stage?' because it looked terrible.

My conclusion is, and this is why I'm posting - the creators involved are known to the Beeb, the Beeb have lost the plot/given up on scouting for great original writing talent, they succumb to giving the majority (seems like it) of new sitcomissions to known comedy performers with no narrative writing track record. With the big exception of Detectorists, the practice hasn't worked, because most comedy actor/stand up written sitcoms I've seen have been nowhere near the quality of Crook's. I hope he get's another, I hope all the others don't.

Quote: Will Cam @ 24th April 2019, 7:28 PM

I saw that is was devised by 6 people? That is very strange.

It certainly used to be, for British TV, but this common American system is sadly becoming used more here. Imo, it goes with the point about lack of scouting and developing new writing talent. It's easier to use the comedy talent you've worked with than take a punt on an unknown with no record. Or put another way it's easier to turn down Milton Jones' single proposal than it is six industry professionals' combined pitch as you are six times more likely to encounter them in the corridor than the solo writer. It's far easier to turn down unsolicited scripts from unknowns, even if the script looks far better than one titled Ghosts.

Imo projects aren't being decided on script quality anymore but on who you are. It's my biggest grumble with today's broadcasters. A big Angry

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 25th April 2019, 9:24 AM

My conclusion is, and this is why I'm posting - the creators involved are known to the Beeb, the Beeb have lost the plot/given up on scouting for great original writing talent, they succumb to giving the majority (seems like it) of new sitcomissions to known comedy performers with no narrative writing track record.

This group of performers have written very successfully in the past...so I get your point that their past success is somehow carrying them forward regardless of how good or otherwise their new stories and scripts are.

I think with this bunch, their Horrible Histories was so bizarre and in your face, that kids were totally drawn to it and felt they were watching stories way more interesting and, if you like, naughty...and far more graphic than just your basic kiddie documentaries, which may be full of colourful fun, but are often stifled by careful scenes and dialogue, they just get lost in the mix of all the other patronizing kiddie shows that pretty much dumb down any topic being explored.

I really think Ghosts, also Yonderland, is for people like me, who appreciate this brand of comedy. I don't expect to think any further than what's in front of me...and I'm glad these actors/writers have made an effort to produce similar stuff for a wider audience...and I want them to keep going. Yes, my youngest loves it too, so it really can be something a grown-up can put on and (try to) enjoy, while their kids have a giggle at the silly adults on screen. It's just a bit of fun. Fun is great!

And the too many characters thing, I'm another prefers as few as possible in a sitcom, you don't even get 30mins with them, you want that to be with strong lead characters. In the US it's widely seen as a drawback of team writing. The more writers you have, the more they each want their own character in it, whether the sitcom needs it or not. For me, this caused the demise of TBBT.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 25th April 2019, 9:59 AM

And the too many characters thing, I'm another prefers as few as possible in a sitcom, you don't even get 30mins with them, you want that to be with strong lead characters. In the US it's widely seen as a drawback of team writing. The more writers you have, the more they each want their own character in it, whether the sitcom needs it or not. For me, this caused the demise of TBBT.

I agree with this. The actors tend to play more than one group of people. This worked better in Yonderland, as there were several settings to play with. Here we have the main upstairs ghosts and also the ones in the basement. I would be happy with them being split between the two settings, but it's actually funny to see the cellar empty one second, then totally stuffed with ghosts that the boyfriend can't see. As you say, though, it does mean the lines are spread more thinly than they would otherwise be. In both the first and second episode we've been bombarded with all the characters, all at once, all the time...with no breathing space to get to know each one separately and form a bond with them. I do see all this, but I just don't let it bother me enough to stop watching.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 25th April 2019, 9:37 AM

My conclusion is, and this is why I'm posting - the creators involved are known to the Beeb, the Beeb have lost the plot/given up on scouting for great original writing talent, .

Maybe there's no great original writing talent out there to find?

Quote: chipolata @ 25th April 2019, 11:58 AM

Maybe there's no great original writing talent out there to find?

We're all in here!

There is, but it's subjective. I didn't care for Ghosts either but programmes are made for all different types of audiences and I'd rather that be the case than otherwise.

Nope, I felt it fair to also watch episode 2 and I just cannot see anything particularly funny about it. I'm envious of those that can.

I note that episode 1 is given as written by Mathew Baynton and Jim Howick and this episode is solely attributed to Laurence Rickard.
It's nice that they're sharing the blame...erm writing credit!

Can someone clarify, is the shamed politician naked down below? I thought not but Alison referred to him as having no pants and I know a British sitcom wouldn't use Americanisms. Would it?

Quote: garyd @ 25th April 2019, 11:52 PM

...................................... having no pants and I know a British sitcom wouldn't use Americanisms. Would it?

FYI and to give you a heads up Angry Don't watch it but bastard shit is creeping in everywhere, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Quote: Chappers @ 25th April 2019, 10:07 PM

We're all in here!

:O:D

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 25th April 2019, 9:45 AM

Imo projects aren't being decided on script quality anymore but on who you are. It's my biggest grumble with today's broadcasters. A big Angry

Undoubtedly so.
The quality of commissioners is so poor, it's all they have to go on.
It's called "pre-existing" franchise.
They need some sort of 'proof' that something will be a success without having to trust there own taste - most of which has been beaten out of them on the way up when it's all about minimising risk and not dropping your immediate superior in the shit by recommending a lemon.
That 'proof' can take the form of a well-known star, a stand-up/panel show favourite (they MUST be funny, surely),a previously successful writer no matter how off the boil they are (yes I'm talking to you, Dick & Ian), something from an outside ProdCo with a good record or, the dreaded re-boot/re-make.
It's never about personal judgement - therefore people with good judgement tend not to thrive at the big broadcasters - they're all at the Indy ProdCos.
When the Beeb (in particular) farmed out the production, they farmed out the talent.
Watch 'W1A'.
It really is like that.

Quote: Chappers @ 25th April 2019, 10:07 PM

We're all in here!

We are, but I'd very likely write something similar, so I probably wouldn't count.

Quote: jsg @ 25th April 2019, 10:15 PM

There is, but it's subjective. I didn't care for Ghosts either but programmes are made for all different types of audiences and I'd rather that be the case than otherwise.

Well said. :-)

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 16th April 2019, 11:28 AM

What certificate is this? I can't find the info on IMDb. I watched Yonderland (PG) with my youngest and she and I both loved it. This includes the same actors, so I'm really hoping it's suitable. I see it's post watershed, so doesn't bode well.

TV shows don't have ratings until they've been made available on home entertainment media. The timeslot, and reading the synopsis for a hint as to the subject matter and likely content, are supposed to be the public's guide in such cases.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 16th April 2019, 5:49 PM

That is, of course, patently untrue but I take your point that it might improve as time goes by.

Yeah, because what do Fawlty Towers, The Likely Lads, Blackadder, Only Fools And Horses, Not The Nine O'Clock News - and many others - possibly tell us about comedy?

Anyway, I am loving Ghosts. Very entertaining, lots of laughs, and Charlotte Ritchie is fantastic.

It is also rating extremely well (comparatively...) and causing this website to crash each week under the strain of the number of people coming on to read its Guide. I have already drafted a news story in expectation that Series 2 has already been commissioned.