Current radio comedy Page 139

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 29th January 2019, 11:35 AM
Now here's a bit of really obscure trivia for Hancock fans :-
What is the tune that starts to play on the wind-up gramophone player before it runs down?

View original

Quote: Text Lexus @ 20th April 2019, 8:15 PM

There are some excellent discussions here & I hope to be able to contribute more in future ... but my *specific* reason for joining today was that my eye was caught by the above triv. question - the answer to which I reckon I've coincidently just spotted a few days ago.

I believe this is 'Elmer's Tune', first composed in the 1920's ( it certainly sounds like that sort of vintage ) although it wasn't committed to vinyl until many years later. According to Wikipedia there are quite a few recordings, the first cluster of five in 1941 being by various artists, including Lawrence Welk of Rutles fame:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmer%27s_Tune

The song definitely pops up in HHH just over a year later in 'The Childhood Sweetheart', from the following - and final - radio series #6 ( broadcast late 1959 ). It's at about 22'15", when Hancock, Sid and Bill are arguing over tactics before entering the coffee bar to look for Olive. TH refers to it by name and sings some of the lyrics.

At any rate, the intro on the dodgy gramophone in 'Sunday Afternoon ...' sounds like the same tune to me. Maybe Galton and/or Simpson, or even Hancock, had a particular fondness for it. It's interesting that it should be featured twice - for those who enjoy comedy trivia, anyway. I suppose it could just have been the nearest disc to hand in the BBC record library.

Edit: This is worth a look for anyone interested in a further layer of trivia / comedy regarding this tune -

Well spotted and welcome TL :) but I had already given the answer here:-

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/10955/12/

Ah, sorry about that - still finding my way around, as one does on an unfamiliar forum.

It's one of my favourite HHH episodes too.

Thanks for the friendly welcome, Hercules :-)

Herc must be wiping down the walls right about now.

Quote: Text Lexus @ 22nd April 2019, 1:58 AM

Ah, sorry about that - still finding my way around, as one does on an unfamiliar forum.

It's one of my favourite HHH episodes too.

Thanks for the friendly welcome, Hercules :-)

It's really good to have another Hancock fan on board. :) Being an old fart I sometimes feel a bit isolated with all these whipper-snappers on here.

Don't suppose you like The Goons too? Whistling nnocently

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 22nd April 2019, 2:16 AM

Herc must be wiping down the walls right about now.

Dussent know that one Tarbs - be that Cornish methinkin'? Oooh ahhh Jim lad, sailin' on the marnin' toide.

Thanks. I do like the Goons but don't have the same level of familiarity as with Hancock, as I grew up with the LPs and recordings of the radio shows at home, in the car on long trips, etc. and probably know a lot of the scripts off by heart through sheer repetition.

t was good to find The Childhood Sweetheart as that episode had previously slipped under the radar.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd April 2019, 6:13 AM

It's really good to have another Hancock fan on board. :)

Here's another one. Just remarkable writing by G&S, years ahead of its time. I can listen to them over and over again, and do. H's timing was extraordinary. I can't listen to the "lost episode" remakes. They're pale imitations.

Quote: italophile @ 24th April 2019, 7:51 AM

Here's another one. Just remarkable writing by G&S, years ahead of its time. I can listen to them over and over again, and do. H's timing was extraordinary. I can't listen to the "lost episode" remakes. They're pale imitations.

Double welcome. :) I too never tire of them. The one on Radio 4 Extra this week was The Elopement, which was great with Tony being his fatherly self to Bill who is moping because he is unable to be with his heart's desire and Sid with no sympathy at all suggesting a punch up the bracket would be more beneficial to bring Bill to his senses.

(Mini survey - do you like The Goon Show too?)

Yes, Goon Show fan, too. Spike opened the door, many followed.

I listened to The Elopement. A long time since I've heard it. I'm probably wrong but I don't recall it in the last round of repeats. Famous for the sound of Bill Kerr cracking up laughing off-microphone a couple of times. It has some classic G&S and Hancock: within one short speech sliding from pompous pretension to a punch up the bracket. They had supreme control of words and Hancock made them sing.

Let me give you a big hug! Hurrah! Don't think there are many Goon fans on here, which is only to be expected as "our leader" is not a fan - as to him it's just a load of funny voices. Clearly, he has never listened to the plots.

Yes, I thought that odd with Bill guffawing in the background when he was supposed to be all morose. You often here Sid cracking up to, and like The Goons, they must have had enormous fun doing them - Harry Secombe is often in hysterics which makes the whole thing even funnier.

GIANTS OF COMEDY - ALL OF THEM!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 24th April 2019, 11:44 AM

"our leader" is not a fan

He's young. There is still time. They often used to re-record segments of HHH for the cast breaking up. For whatever reason, they left some in, which is great. They had a ball recording and it shows.

There are a couple of interesting interviews with G&S in which they reveal how hard they worked on the dialogue, down to finding exactly the right word. Near enough was never good enough. They admit their weakness was endings. Which is true. So many episodes just peter out.

Yes, I remember seeing G&S talk about ".....that's very nearly an armful" from the Blood Donor, how they thought long and hard about it before arriving at precisely those words - "an armful" was definitely out and "nearly an armful" didn't quite hit the mark. It had to be "very nearly". They said Hancock's "precise estimate" was just the sort of thing he would have said.

The ending thing I find more noticeable with The Goons, but that's OK as far as I'm concerned for madcap comedy, and this spilled over into the Q series on TV of course where Spike often used the whole cast going off camera (usually walking straight at it) and all muttering repeatedly "What are we gonna do now".....................

The lack of Goon Show endings is understandable. Spike wasn't into plot, he was anti-plot if anything. G&S were much more structured, they just weren't good with endings, at least in the HHH days. Steptoe was a different challenge altogether. Essentially two-hander plays, they needed an ending, and G&S generally came up with the goods. Maybe they learned, maybe they tried harder.

One of my favourite Goon show sketches is when he keeps talking about 'nuff'...and how he has or hasn't had enough 'nuff'. I still bawl at that.

cough...current radio comedy???

Quote: Sixty3closure @ 6th May 2019, 1:59 AM

cough...current radio comedy???

Mr Pedant here.................

WELL, it's current on Radio 4 Extra as is Hancock and a lot of others. So, you would not call any repeat no matter how recent the original airing on any station current? So is this thread only for current "current" shows? :D

AND if you check the original thread starter ("twisted thread starter") it is none other than (speaks in hushed tones) Lord Mark and the second post Sir Aaron, BOTH mentioning what was then BBC Radio 7 (now 4 extra of course, but WHY they changed it is another matter and a different thread)

;)