Things that piss you off Page 1,755

Prompted by Old Lady Leg's post above, I well remember the day I got a phone call from a theatrical-production-type person saying that a play based upon something I'd written was about to be produced in London.

Great news, you might think - but they wanted to know whether I'd be willing to forego payment because money was tight and, of course, the production would serve to publicise the original work.

I told them that if the play hit the stage without a cheque falling through my letterbox, I'd sue their arses off.

They paid up. :)

People wearing their security lanyards like a cape. It's not a cape.

Quote: chipolata @ 11th April 2019, 9:27 AM

People wearing their security lanyards like a cape. It's not a cape.

You mean in that fake casual (in ya face peasant) 'look at me, I'm so important I've been given a necklace with my name on it' sort of way...but with a bit of extra 'my dad can beat your dad up'.

I like the ones who go all out and purchase their own thick, wide, psychedelic lanyards...for a tiny little door pass. They are my favourite. Saying that, I constantly lose passes, because I hate them being around my neck and keep leaving them in drawers and 'in the pocket of my other coat'.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 11th April 2019, 12:28 PM

You mean in that fake casual (in ya face peasant) 'look at me, I'm so important I've been given a necklace with my name on it' sort of way...but with a bit of extra 'my dad can beat your dad up'.

:D

That one. Although he's wearing it over his shoulder today, like a scarf.

Quote: chipolata @ 12th April 2019, 9:35 AM

:D

That one. Although he's wearing it over his shoulder today, like a scarf.

Bless him. He probably keeps it like that so he can discretely glance sideways whenever he forgets who he is.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 9th April 2019, 3:40 PM

Prompted by Old Lady Leg's post above, I well remember the day I got a phone call from a theatrical-production-type person saying that a play based upon something I'd written was about to be produced in London.

Great news, you might think - but they wanted to know whether I'd be willing to forego payment because money was tight and, of course, the production would serve to publicise the original work.

I told them that if the play hit the stage without a cheque falling through my letterbox, I'd sue their arses off.

They paid up. :)

I wheel this out about once a year.
it never gets old. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lin_W1hsOwI

Quote: Lazzard @ 12th April 2019, 12:24 PM

I wheel this out about once a year.
it never gets old. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lin_W1hsOwI

That's exactly it. It's the arrogance in their assumption THEY are doing YOU a favour...so when you say no, they try to accuse you of being ungrateful or dismissive of their generous offer of making you famous. I seriously can't deal with anyone who immediately comes back to me with an argument after I've said no to a request like that. Politely accepting the answer and appreciating someone's right to say no goes a long way to showing respect for that person's talent. Continuing to whine on about how it's their loss just breaks down any line of communication they could have reopened at a later date. You may not feel inclined to help them out at that time, but you might know someone who would be happy to. Some people don't think ahead...don't consider the possibility you might have very useful contacts they could benefit from. You might not...but...you might.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 12th April 2019, 1:14 PM

their assumption THEY are doing YOU a favour...

Good point. But what if I don a red nose and give all the proceeds to kittens, would that work ? Then there are the "profit" share productions, a more polite way of asking.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 12th April 2019, 1:14 PM

That's exactly it. It's the arrogance in their assumption THEY are doing YOU a favour...

Of course, equally complicit are the people who work for free/f**k-all.
Letting the side down, big time.
There's a site (no names, no pack drill) where you regularly see people offering no money, but insisting screen credits and samples.
And people fall for it.

I hate middle-aged men who try to sound young and cool. Those badass dudes need a motherf**kin dissin.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 22nd April 2019, 4:38 PM

I hate middle-aged men who try to sound young and cool. Those badass dudes need a motherf**kin dissin.

They definitely need a cap in their ass.

Why is Krishnan Guru-Murthy on so many comedy panel shows when he has never said anything remotely funny? Everything he says is a story and always begins with something like "I had just met Her Majesty..." or "I was at a gala dinner sitting near George Clooney...". There are other non-comedians who appear on shows like 8 Out Of Ten Cats that can be funny but Krishnan Guru-Murthy isn't one of them. I went off him when he interviewed Tarantino because he tried to turn a film promotion interview in to a hard hitting piece about violence in films and just appeared pathetic. A wannabe super hero journalist. He did the same with Robert Downey Junior and when Richard Ayoade ran rings around him he had the cheek to pretend later that he was involved. It irritates me because there is no decent journalism anymore about real world issues. I miss the days of World In Action and journalists not interested in celebrity status like Terry Lloyd.

Waterproofs that are anything but.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 22nd April 2019, 4:38 PM

I hate middle-aged men who try to sound young and cool.

And older (my age) who wear a gold ring in their ear like they're some sort of Jack the Lad pirate. Pathetic.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 8th May 2019, 7:03 AM

And older (my age) who wear a gold ring in their ear like they're some sort of Jack the Lad pirate. Pathetic.

This. Definitely this.

What about baldy ponytail man, especial grey baldy ponytail man.
We have one lives by me. (he's about 65)
If I speak to him - like good morning or hello, he says in a deep drawl 'Hi'