Notre Dame Cathedral Page 2

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 16th April 2019, 11:38 PM

Gloucester Cathedral is always worth a visit because there is so much to see and a few weeks ago I was there and the choir were rehearsing. I could have sat there for hours listening to them but after 20 minutes they finished and left. I managed to shout SELFISH BASTARDS a few times until I was politely asked to leave.

Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud

Have an inkling it's copper sheet not lead on the roof btw but still some decent scrap value for pikeys. Such huge areas such as on that roof is hard to cover in lead. The seams may be but not the huge surface area. Copper sheet far more attractive and characterful also for historic buildings. Don't think it's an awful lot cheaper to install, just far easier to work with and every bit as waterproof.

Just to extend that re lead roofing. It's still rife in EA and I wonder with modern technology and materials - surely someone can come up with a roof covering that is just as weatherproof, far cheaper and not worth stealing.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 16th April 2019, 10:39 AM

Regardless of faith, there is that feeling of loss to the world of such a historical building. Restoration is all well and good, but I feel it reduces that feeling of mystery about the past when you know you're not walking into something that's exactly as it was hundreds of years ago. Just my opinion. It's still standing, though, so all is not lost.

Yes and no to that, from me. Many famous old buildings we've both been in seemingly as they were when built actually aren't. My view is if you don't know it's been rebuilt in parts then the awe is just the same, as it is looking up to the dome inside St Pauls. And some neo Gothic buildings have knocked me back with a sense of historic awe and all that only for me to find out later it was built in Queen Victoria's time. So mainly no I mean then.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 16th April 2019, 11:43 PM

Have an inkling it's copper sheet not lead on the roof btw but still some decent scrap value for pikeys. Such huge areas such as on that roof is hard to cover in lead. The seams may be but not the huge surface area. Copper sheet far more attractive and characterful also for historic buildings. Don't think it's an awful lot cheaper to install, just far easier to work with and every bit as waterproof.

I know I should Google it, but what the f**k is 'pikeys'?

Great Edifices are just that and Notre Dame is a stonking archly Gothic and imposing Cathedral building, has an austerely religious and haughty feel to it that lent itself to great fiction, it has a character to it unlike any other I've seen. I thought it was a very moody looking dominant thing when I saw it, very French and haughty, unlike our big cathedrals which are just as grand and ornate, but less eerie and sinister looking.

Quote: Briosaid @ 17th April 2019, 12:04 AM

I know I should Google it, but what the f**k is 'pikeys'?

It's a slang term for someone who takes lead whenever the opportunity arises but thankfully religious sites are out of bounds thanks to their devout Catholicism.

On Blackpool promenade, they try to sell you a sprig of lucky heather.
If you refuse the sale, even if you very politely decline, they will shout at you that they have put a curse on you.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 17th April 2019, 12:45 AM

It's a slang term for someone who takes lead whenever the opportunity arises but thankfully religious sites are out of bounds thanks to their devout Catholicism.

Summat I've never thought about before now you've said that, but do they only take lead from Protestant churches?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 16th April 2019, 11:58 PM

Yes and no to that, from me. Many famous old buildings we've both been in seemingly as they were when built actually aren't. My view is if you don't know it's been rebuilt in parts then the awe is just the same, as it is looking up to the dome inside St Pauls. And some neo Gothic buildings have knocked me back with a sense of historic awe and all that only for me to find out later it was built in Queen Victoria's time. So mainly no I mean then.

Okay...I think I see your point. I have a similar example. There's a very old church near me. This church is HUGE. I moved into the area about 13 years ago and it was the first I knew of the church...and it certainly looks very majestic and impressive. Now...to me...the church still felt old and mysterious to walk into...because, as you say, I had no idea of its restoration history at that point. Since I moved here, I've found out more about it. It's a Saxon church, which was bombed in the second world war and restored as much as possible using the original bricks. There's only a small part that is completely original and which dates it back to Saxon times. It very probably underwent other alterations way back, but, because I wasn't around during any of them, I just see this incredibly ornate and beautiful church and still feel lucky to be able to walk into it and appreciate its history. Even if I'd known about the restoration all those years ago, I still would have been impressed. So, yes, I get what you're saying.

Maybe I feel differently when these restorations are done during my lifetime. With Notre Dame, there is a lot still standing, but the parts that are restored cannot be looked upon as having the same link to the past as before. That's kind of what I think I'm saying...or something.

The buildings as a whole are a link right back in time to when they were first built, which I guess is the most important thing...and the fire that has destroyed parts of Notre Dame will, in time, become a huge part of its history. Can I go now?

The money's pouring in for its restoration, the big bucks from named sources, surprise surprise. Got me thinking this is like the selling of indulgences scandals of the middle ages again which sparked the Reformation. And my bet is once it's done there'll be a permanent charge for tourist visits.

And have any of the donations been from the Catholic Church itself? They've got a few quid stashed away I hear.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 17th April 2019, 12:45 AM

I thought pikeys was just Gypsies - or Romanies or Travellers to be politically correct.

And they have dags.

I have to say i agree that it was a big fire, but to be honest i am not going to lose any sleep over a church that worships a lunchpack
and to make a film about it as well that's going a bit far don't you think.

Quote: Johnny26 @ 19th April 2019, 1:19 PM

I have to say i agree that it was a big fire, but to be honest i am not going to lose any sleep over a church that worships a lunchpack
and to make a film about it as well that's going a bit far don't you think.

I think you should apologize, Johnny.
Also, to any lunchpacks viewing this forum...just know...you are important. x