The top 20 Sitcoms - from the "experts" Page 3

Quote: Rood Eye @ 9th April 2019, 5:23 PM

In my book, "Yes, Minister" is one of the all-time great British sitcoms and yet it is not even on the list.

I feel the same way about "Allo, Allo!" and it isn't on the list.

And what about "Till Death Us Do Part"?

On the negative side, "Dinnerladies" shouldn't be anywhere near the top twenty.

Love Yes Minister, and Yes, Prime Minister. Also love Steptoe and Son.
Dinnerladies is overrated. I've always felt it was a series of scenes/gags, rather than a sitcom. (If that makes sense.)

I'd remove Dinnerladies and Detectorists and stick in Catastrophe and Fleabag (especially as Fleabag is now complete).

The list is also incredibly Beebcentric, with barely any sitcoms from commercial channels.

Quote: chipolata @ 13th April 2019, 11:00 AM

I'd remove Dinnerladies and Detectorists.

It seems clear to me that the only reason "Dinnerladies" is on the list is because it was written by and starred the wonderful and much-loved Victoria Wood and the experts decided to put it on the list as a tribute to her.

I have absolutely no idea why "Detectorists" should be on the list because, even though it's a quality sitcom, it's even less worthy than "Dinnerladies".

The list is also incredibly Beebcentric, with barely any sitcoms from commercial channels.

That is certainly true: 18 sitcoms from the BBC and 2 from Channel 4.

The absence of sitcoms from ITV might be explained by the fact that ITV sitcoms have historically been shite compared with the best of those from the BBC. Having said that, the blindingly obvious exception to that rule is "Rising Damp" which is leagues ahead of several sitcoms on the list.

However, the main reason the list must be rejected as a true representation of the best-ever British sitcoms is the absence of " 'Allo 'Allo!" - which is a legitimate contender for the top spot.

I know comedy is subjective but - let's be honest - if you don't think " 'Allo 'Allo!" is one of the top 20 British sitcoms, you're either a complete, total, absolute and utter f***ing idiot or you're a perfectly reasonable and intelligent person who, unfortunately, knows sweet f*** all about comedy.

I never bother with these things cos they're totally subjective, you're always gonna find something you disagree with, and no one cares what anyone else thinks anyway. The Young Ones, Fawlty Towers, I'm Alan Partridge, The Office, Porridge, everything else. It's like 'favourite Spice Girl', where I argue Melanie C for her musical skill, commitment to social (particularly women's) issues and surviving 22 years in the biz without degenerating into a cliché. Then some dingbat signs up, logs on and writes, Geri cos tits.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 13th April 2019, 11:44 AM

I know comedy is subjective but - let's be honest - if you don't think " 'Allo 'Allo!" is one of the top 20 British sitcoms, you're either a complete, total, absolute and utter f***ing idiot or you're a perfectly reasonable and intelligent person who, unfortunately, knows sweet f*** all about comedy.

Remove the 12th word and I'd gravitate to the former. Madonna with big boobies, tee hee hee.

Quote: Wheel @ 9th April 2019, 8:08 PM

6. Bottom

And not The Young Ones? Now that IS funny.

Sod it, I'll bore you all with my subjective top 25 and I've included sketch shows, because I'm a maverick:

This list is based on sheer love and not necessarily sheer hilariity or cleverness of writing. Hence, subjectiveness approach like we all should do.

Only Fools and Horses
One Foot in the Grave
Fawlty Towers
Porridge
Dad's Army
Royle Family
The Office
Peep Show
Blackadder
Early Doors
Men Behaving Badly
Bottom
The Fast Show
Extras
The Vicar of Dibley
2point4 Children
Till Death us do Part
Harry Enfield and Chums
Teachers
I'm Alan Partridge
Dinnerladies
Black Books
The League of Gentlemen
The Thin Blue Line
Time Gentlemen Please

Okay, I listed all the comedies I like. However there are comedies out there that I've enjoyed but just didn't want them anywhere near my list.

Aw, here we go again.I'm so involved with Mr Ed the Talking Horse, I don't know where to start (again). It's an intimate relationship. Please don't mention Catherine the Great who reduced it to the physical and blow jobs. Trite in my opinion - and unhygienic. I have been here before. Do do do do. Do do do do, Things change. Don't Drink the Water is up big time, But I don't think it could number one or two. That is still the Peckham lads from Nelson Mandela House and the boy from Cheam. I used to live there. It was underneath the arches but miles away from Cold Blow Lane. Doin the Lambeth walk,.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 14th April 2019, 9:46 PM

Doin the Lambeth walk.

Oi! Cool

I park in Railway Cuttings every time I go to Sutton United.

I think one reason Allo allo didn't feature in these Brexit times is that it isn't very Politically Correct. But brilliantly funny.

Quote: Chappers @ 16th April 2019, 10:17 PM

not very Politically Correct. But brilliantly funny.

I think I might be happy with that for an epitaph. Cool

Quote: Rood Eye @ 16th April 2019, 10:28 PM

I think I might be happy with that for an epitaph. Cool

Is that due anytime soon?

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 9th April 2019, 3:08 PM

*Sigh"

There's a few sitcoms in this list that are either too high up the list or too far down in my views.

How they failed to place One Foot in the top 20 is beyond me. Ab fu**ing Fab top 10. Detectorists, although I've heard many good things, has that even stood the test of time to respectfully be in this top 20? Reggie Perrin?!

My choice and "the people's" choice in 2004 was a slightly different top 10, but the "experts" as it were see it differently.

1.Fawlty Towers (1975-9, BBC Two)
2.Father Ted (1995-8, Channel 4)
3.I'm Alan Partridge (1997-2002, BBC Two)
4.Blackadder (1983-9, BBC One)
5.Dad's Army (1968-77, BBC One)
6.Only Fools and Horses (1981-2003, BBC One)
7.Porridge (1973-8, BBC One)
8.The Royle Family (1998-2012, BBC One)
9.Absolutely Fabulous (1992-2012, BBC Two)
10.Dinnerladies (1998-2000, BBC One)
11.The Thick of It (2005-12, BBC Four and Two)
12.The Office (2001-3, BBC Two)
13.Peep Show (2003-15, Channel 4)
14.The Vicar of Dibley (1994-2007, BBC One)
15.The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin (1976-9, BBC One)
16.The Young Ones (1982-4, BBC Two)
17.Gavin & Stacey (2007-10, BBC Three and One)
18.The Good Life (1975-8, BBC One)
19.Detectorists (2014-17, BBC Four)
20.Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads? (1973-4, BBC One)

I share your dismay at some but I'm guessing the panel of judges here is an equal split of sexes. ? Ab Fab, Dinnerladies, Vicar of Dibley, The Good Life have a large female fan base and I'm guessing Detectorists has as well. As much as I liked it, if I was asked to objectively judge our twenty greatest sitcoms it wouldn't get a look in.

And like several have said further on, to dismiss Rising Damp proves some on the panel aren't up to the lofty task and it obviously wasn't a team discussion thing nor was there much research going on. A saving grace is WHTTLL? crept in and Fawlty Towers reigns. Some on the panel obviously know their stuff.

Middle classes who go on to be journos don't watch ITV.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 17th April 2019, 12:56 AM

but I'm guessing the panel of judges here is an equal split of sexes. ?.

:O

It's Political Correctness gone mad! Next thing you know these "women" will be wanting the vote. Or jobs. Or opinions of their own.

I'm with the middle classes on this for the most part, although sitcoms from commercial channels worthy of inclusion include Spaced, The IT Crowd and Black Books.

Let's face it, the Beeb have a FAR better record on Sitcoms than ITV, so it's inevitable that the BBC would have a better hit rate.

At least they didn't try to put Miranda in the list, so I'm happy about that

Quote: Wheel @ 17th April 2019, 10:38 AM

At least they didn't try to put Miranda in the list, so I'm happy about that

I love Miranda. Not even joking. I could have just kept quiet about it, but I just felt the need.