Ghosts - Series 1 Page 2

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 16th April 2019, 4:48 PM

I really liked it, it's my kind of comedy.

I wish you well to watch it.

Apart from not being funny, the BBC's pro-diversity messages might as well be delivered with a loudhailer through our letterboxes as painted upon our TV screens in such large letters.

I'm surprised they haven't introduced a classic sports car in order to pander to the MGB GT community.

Still, it's early days.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 16th April 2019, 5:13 PM

Apart from not being funny, the BBC's pro-diversity messages might as well be delivered with a loudhailer through our letterboxes as painted upon our TV screens in such large letters.

Because they cast... two whole black people?

Quote: zooo @ 16th April 2019, 5:21 PM

Because they cast... two whole black people?

I was referring to the extreme and shocking disability suffered by the character with the severed head.

I would have thought a pirate with a pegleg more than sufficient to represent our disabled community.

Still, it's early days.

It is indeed and that's exactly the point. To have pounced on this with quite such vitriol after the first episode seems premature. Fair enough if you don't like it after episode 2 fair enough but even the best comedies take a while to find their feet.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 16th April 2019, 5:44 PM

even the best comedies take a while to find their feet.

That is, of course, patently untrue but I take your point that it might improve as time goes by.

I bet you 50p it doesn't though. Pleased

Apart from not being funny...

In your opinion it isn't funny. In my opinion it is. That's all there is to this. To imply that anyone who says it's funny is merely trying not to appear racist is bizarre! It's a strong fun-loving cast, working together to provide as much nonsense as possible...and I'll take my nonsense from anyone who wants to give it to me.

Every comedy has its target audience. Some don't quite hit the spot, but this one does for me. If you still don't like it after the second episode, just stop watching it. Don't bring race into it. Geez...

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 16th April 2019, 6:03 PM

Don't bring race into it.

I didn't.

What I brought into it was a bit of satire based upon the nation's paranoid fear of being thought racist.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 16th April 2019, 6:23 PM

I didn't.

What I brought into it was a bit of satire based upon the nation's paranoid fear of being thought racist.

Okay...but I watched this with my youngest and found the humour to be very well written, in a way that makes it accessible not only to adults, but to kids who are old enough to get the humour...and young enough to let the subtle smutty bits go over their heads.

It is quite tame, but the jokes are there. Maybe you need more swearing and crudeness...or something.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 16th April 2019, 7:21 PM

Maybe you need more swearing and crudeness...or something.

. . . as the writer said when his sitcom pilot script comprising 25 completely blank pages was returned to him by the TV production company with a note saying "Refreshingly original but not what we're looking for at the present time".

There's a lot more missing from "Ghosts" than an abundance of swearing and crudity.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 16th April 2019, 7:41 PM

There's a lot more missing from "Ghosts" than an abundance of swearing and crudity.

In your opinion.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 16th April 2019, 7:48 PM

In your opinion.

A bold assumption if ever I saw one.

Do you really think the opinions I express are my own?

Sometimes they are, of course, but I've also been known to express opinions that I don't hold simply for the purpose of stimulating interest, or even outright horror, among the readership.

It's a creative technique well-known to comedy writers, stand-up comedians and many many a journalist.

I have absolutely no doubt that "Ghosts" will entertain millions of TV viewers while many others will tolerate it for less than five minutes before deciding they'd rather watch paint dry.

In the preceding sentence, you could replace "Ghosts" with the name of any other TV series ever broadcast and it would have been a statement of truth that I could have written as a review following the first episode - but how entertaining would my review have been? What emotions would it have provoked in anyone who read it? Would it have been in any way worth my writing it?

So you're a wind up merchant.
Entertaining yourself at the expense of others.

How's your friend and girlfriend hunt going?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 16th April 2019, 8:18 PM

So you're a wind up merchant.

Sometimes I am: sometimes I'm not. Show me a comedy writer or a comedian who can honestly say he/she has never wound anybody up and I'll show you somebody who probably isn't much of a comedy writer or a comedian.

Entertaining yourself at the expense of others.

See my previous reply.

How's your friend and girlfriend hunt going?

Not well. :(

Fear not, however: in the future, when life is at its lowest ebb, I fully intend to start an episode of "Ghosts" on BBC iPlayer and then immediately console myself that, no matter how bad life is, at least I don't have to watch stuff like that - and I shall immediately switch it off and feel a lot happier.

P. S. The above statement may or may not be true.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 16th April 2019, 4:48 PM

I don't agree. I watched the first episode today. I really liked it, it's my kind of comedy. As I said, I loved Yonderland and was sad there were only three seasons. Now I have this. I'm a happy bunny...'cos...Easter.

Yes. I enjoyed it too. Some laugh out loud moments.

Rood - you obviously don't like it. We've seen your views so why keep commenting here?

Quote: Rood Eye @ 15th April 2019, 10:54 PM

This is a new BBC sitcom and it's crap.

Not only is it almost totally devoid of funniness but it also features Lolly Adefope.

There's nothing wrong with her but I can't help thinking she has some sort of sinister hold over the BBC casting department.

Maybe when they stop giving her work, she'll spill the beans?

In any event, I'd rather watch the test card than this sad attempt at a sitcom.

The ITV kids show The Ghosts Of Motley Hall in the mid-70s was a great deal funnier, and yes this Lolly Adefope appears to be the current flavour of the moment!