Ghosts - Series 1

This is a new BBC sitcom and it's crap.

Not only is it almost totally devoid of funniness but it also features Lolly Adefope.

There's nothing wrong with her but I can't help thinking she has some sort of sinister hold over the BBC casting department.

Maybe when they stop giving her work, she'll spill the beans?

In any event, I'd rather watch the test card than this sad attempt at a sitcom.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 15th April 2019, 10:54 PM

Not only is it almost totally devoid of funniness but it also features Lolly Adefope.

There's nothing wrong with her but I can't help thinking she has some sort of sinister hold over the BBC casting department.

Maybe when they stop giving her work, she'll spill the beans?

Why, because she's been in two things this year?

The trailer looked pretty dire, like a remake of the Canterville Ghost with lots more people.

The Canterville Ghost crossed with The Ghosts of Motley Hall.

I had this ready to record the series on my Virgin box, THEN I saw the trailer and deleted it. Now I see I made the right decision.

Hmmm...judging by all the negativity about this sitcom, I'll probably really like it....and...so you know...Rentaghost trumps everything...even cardigans. No...I take that back...immediately felt ashamed as soon as I said it. Ones without pockets...maybe...I dunno.

Blimey, does anybody here like any new sitcoms! At the risk of being pilloried, I liked this a lot. As is always the problem with pilots, a lot of setup and exposition to get through but it made me laugh out loud several times so that's a good sitcom in my book! Simon Farnaby and Ben Wilbond stole it this episode.

What certificate is this? I can't find the info on IMDb. I watched Yonderland (PG) with my youngest and she and I both loved it. This includes the same actors, so I'm really hoping it's suitable. I see it's post watershed, so doesn't bode well.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 16th April 2019, 10:59 AM

Simon Farbaby and Ben Wilbond stole this episode.

They should have kept the f***er! Angry

Laughing out loud

Was going to watch - then read here and decided not to - now I think I will.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 16th April 2019, 12:30 PM

Was going to watch - then read here and decided not to - now I think I will.

Life is short, Stephen and time is precious.

May I, therefore, suggest that you find yourself a pencil or any other similar sharp object and press it (gently at first) into one of your eyeballs until you come to the conclusion that, all things considered, you have suffered enough.

I promise it will consume only a few seconds of your remaining life expectancy, unlike watching an episode of "Ghosts" which will take you the best part of 30 minutes.

You know it makes sense.

I didn't like the look of the preview but felt that as someone had bothered to write the thing and the Beeb had actually made it I should at least give it a try.
Darn those feelings!
Now I'm not a professional comedy writer by any stretch of the imagination but my opinion is that this was so poor; unoriginal and importantly for a comedy, unfunny.
Mistakenly eating pot pourri is supposed to be humourous these days?
A body dropping it's talking severed head?
And they were the best bits.
However, critics seem to rate it highly so what do I know?
Maybe I should refrain from submitting to BBC Writers Room this month as the Beeb and I are obviously on a totally different wavelength (and not just for comedy!).

You know what would really change people's minds about this dire comedy?

In the next episode, a quick sequence of scenes showing different families across Britain watching the show on their TV sets and looking bored out of their skulls.

In the last of these scenes, one of the ghosts on the TV turns to camera and says "We've got a mixed-race couple and a black ghost in this sitcom so, if you don't like it, you must be racist!"

The family watching the TV bursts out laughing and they all lean closer to the TV, eager for more entertainment.

The camera pulls back, through the roof of the house and we hear peals of laughter from the whole town.

As the camera pulls further and further back, we hear the whole of Britain laughing themselves silly at this hilarious sitcom.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 16th April 2019, 2:53 PM

You know what would really change people's minds about this dire comedy?

In the next episode, a quick sequence of scenes showing different families across Britain watching the show on their TV sets and looking bored out of their skulls.

In the last of these scenes, one of the ghosts on the TV turns to camera and says "We've got a mixed-race couple and a black ghost in this sitcom so, if you don't like it, you must be racist!"

The family watching the TV bursts out laughing and they all lean closer to the TV, eager for more entertainment.

The camera pulls back, through the roof of the house and we hear peals of laughter from the whole town.

As the camera pulls further and further back, we hear the whole of Britain laughing themselves silly at this hilarious sitcom.

I don't agree. I watched the first episode today. I really liked it, it's my kind of comedy. As I said, I loved Yonderland and was sad there were only three seasons. Now I have this. I'm a happy bunny...'cos...Easter.