Notre Dame Cathedral

With Notre Dame in ashes, Quasimodo, now homeless, leaves Paris to seek his fortune in England.

Auditioning for "Britain's Got Talent", the hideous misshapen creature shuffles out onto the stage where he produces a bottle of whisky, drinks several large measures, burps loudly, then shows the bottle to the audience and shouts "The Bells! The Bells!"

The audience screams approval and the judging panel wet themselves with laughter.

Amanda, being first to compose herself, hits the golden buzzer, and a star is born.

This was the first cathedral I was ever in, in my life, when I was 16. 2 things I remember - the gargoyles and being astounded at the massive circumference of the pillars. In those days you could turn up and walk in, no bother. The last time I was there, there was such a massive queue to get in, that I didn't bother.

Any fire is a disaster to see. Hopefully no human life is lost which is the most important but already people are making jokes about it. It could have been a prelude to a terrorist attack but that doesn't stop people from staying to film it.

They'll re-build and they'll do it well.

They're wondering if the fire was started as a result of the electricity being used for restoration work...in sections of the cathedral that has never had any before.

The Gargoyles at the top, which are said to look after the building, were removed recently as part of the restoration that's been going on. Makes you think.

Within hours, there are huge amounts of cash being offered to help with the rebuild. Far more than offered to help with tragedies around the world. That makes you think as well.

I think the Catholic Church is probably responsible for more pain, suffering and innocent deaths than the Third Reich.

Accordingly, I shall be shedding no tears for Notre Dame Cathedral.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 16th April 2019, 9:24 AM

I think the Catholic Church is probably responsible for more pain, suffering and innocent deaths than the Third Reich.

Accordingly, I shall be shedding no tears for Notre Dame Cathedral.

...and a cheerful and blessed morning to you too, my friend!

I am no lover of any faith , but the cultural loss to Paris is sad. I don't normally like places of worship to invisible entities but Notre Dame was a spectacular building.
As for the offers of help? I would like to see what other things these people have stepped forward before to do before? Then I reach any conclusions on their perspectives/humanity.
As for the joke? Well Rood Eye got there first with well dusted and repackaged classic. And that's not easy as I always find that hunchback jokes sound corny, but this just manged to get over the line.

Regardless of faith, there is that feeling of loss to the world of such a historical building. Restoration is all well and good, but I feel it reduces that feeling of mystery about the past when you know you're not walking into something that's exactly as it was hundreds of years ago. Just my opinion. It's still standing, though, so all is not lost.

That's right OLL, 800 years of history gone.

Generations that looked at it, went in, prayed etc.

Ghengis Khan was knocking about, conquering lands.
Henry 3rd was being crowned
And that building was there.

Very sad.

But how did the fire start?

I'm disappointed that I've yet to see a tabloid headline reading 'Holy Smokes' but I'm sure there are a few out there somewhere.

Travellers' sites all over Britain are empty today as members of that community flock to Paris to help with the great clear-up in the aftermath of the Notre Dame fire.

They've found out there were 250 tonnes of lead on the Cathedral roof.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 16th April 2019, 2:17 AM

Any fire is a disaster to see. Hopefully no human life is lost which is the most important

I wish I could believe everyone thought that. They'll be many and not just within the Catholic church who think that's not the most important thing here. They never did when the church was being built.

Quote: Briosaid @ 15th April 2019, 11:45 PM

This was the first cathedral I was ever in, in my life, when I was 16. 2 things I remember - the gargoyles and being astounded at the massive circumference of the pillars. In those days you could turn up and walk in, no bother. The last time I was there, there was such a massive queue to get in, that I didn't bother.

That's the way it's gone with great Roman Catholic places and events. The Vatican, St. Peters Church, Lourdes, Notre Damme, the one in Northern Spain and probably many others. It's all got incredibly camp and pseudo spiritual with the Catholics in the last 20 years or so, it really is one big over emotive soap opera for the susceptible.

What's this obsession you have with Catholics, Alfred? I'm not a Christian but was raised in sectarian riven Glasgow . I couldn't give a damn about people's religion. We're all just humans who take comfort where we can find it. It's the history around Notre Dame, which makes the fire so upsetting.

And you've just reminded me I was in Lourdes that same holiday. I found it boring and an old man tried to steal my duffel bag.

Gloucester Cathedral is always worth a visit because there is so much to see and a few weeks ago I was there and the choir were rehearsing. I could have sat there for hours listening to them but after 20 minutes they finished and left. I managed to shout SELFISH BASTARDS a few times until I was politely asked to leave.