I've been expecting you, Ms Fleabag.

There's not much comedy in an original James Bond novel: that's probably because, on paper, James Bond didn't need to be funny in order to keep readers turning the pages.

Films are different from books, however, and Bond producers at some point decided that the occasional smart-arse remark might liven up what was an otherwise pretty dull script.

To my mind, a dull script with jokes is still essentially a dull script (except perhaps for the jokes, obviously) but it seems the forthcoming 25th Bond film might, like a number of the previous ones, be lacking something in the script department and so, in order to keep moviegoers chuckling while simultaneously being bored out of their skulls between expensive stunts, the producers have enlisted the services of Phoebe Waller-Bridge to add a little sparkle to the script.

What I'm praying for is that, for the first time in his almost-60-year film career, 007 will (with a little help from Phoebe) find himself in a bedroom with a woman at the wrong time of the month.

Now, wouldn't that be liberating?

Quote: Rood Eye @ 14th April 2019, 7:05 PM

What I'm praying for is that, for the first time in his almost-60-year film career, 007 will (with a little help from Phoebe) find himself in a bedroom with a woman at the wrong time of the month.

Now, wouldn't that be liberating?

I'd imagine he'd be fairly used to having blood on his hands.

There must be some amusing film names.

You only lick twice.
Mooncupraker
Try another day.
Redfinger?
Dr? No!
Tampon of Solace

etc etc...

I think she's probably been brought in more off the back of Killing Eve than comedy and Fleabag!

Devised, created and written by my good self - although I didn't take the photo.

Now where's Getty Images email address.............................

As far as I can make out, Phoebe Waller-Bridge was drafted into the staff of the new Bond film (at the request of Daniel Craig) in order to inject some comedy into the proceedings. There was no intention that she should contribute to the plot or to the serious dialogue.

However, it seems that even at this late stage in the proceedings, there is no script for the film.

Writers have come and writers have gone. Scripts have been written and scripts have been binned.

The film crew are predicting that Bond 25 will be "a highly polished shit show".

It seems there are currently six writers trying to cobble together a workable script, one of whom is Phoebe.

Essentially they're re-writing a re-write of a re-write of the original script and word on the set is that they are getting nowhere.

Come on, Phoebe - you can do it!

They should have stuck with Danny Boyle's original madcap scheme to kill Bond. That would have been great.

The woes of Bond 25 escalated today as what was supposed to be a controlled explosion on set turned into a completely uncontrolled explosion that blew part of the roof off and several large holes in the sides of the building.

The set is said to be on "total lockdown".

The film is due to be released on April 3, 2020 but as yet has no title, no script and much less of a set than it had yesterday.

Oh dear! One wonders how and why on Earth they have begun production on something that doesn't have a proper script yet.

Quote: Aaron @ 4th June 2019, 11:48 PM

Oh dear! One wonders how and why on Earth they have begun production on something that doesn't have a proper script yet.

Sadly that's a very common occurrence in Hollywood and is why there are so many rubbish, half arsed films around these days (for example I like Judd Apatow but his preference for chucking the script away and improvising long scenes resulting in two and a quarter hour comedies like Funny People needs to stop)

Maybe it's like an exam. Sometimes when you do no revision whatsoever and cram it all in at the last minute, you still get a great result. This might be the greatest Bond ever.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 6th June 2019, 9:12 AM

Sadly that's a very common occurrence in Hollywood and is why there are so many rubbish, half arsed films around these days

Sounds crazy. I'm genuinely surprised they are able to secure funding and insurance for productions that don't even have a complete script. I guess it's a lot easier for something in a series and with huge studio backing than for an indie original though.

Quote: chipolata @ 6th June 2019, 9:26 AM

Maybe it's like an exam. Sometimes when you do no revision whatsoever and cram it all in at the last minute, you still get a great result.

Only sometimes?

In this modern day and age, when pupils are guaranteed a B simply for turning up and an A for subsequently spelling their names right on the exam paper, I would have thought the above technique worked every time.

This might be the greatest Bond ever.

Your proposition is based upon the premise that there have been at least two previous Bond films that were great.

I don't think that's the case but, the quality of Bond films (like comedy) is subjective.

The makers of the Bond films seem to believe that burning a mountain of money is the only way to make a Bond film: it isn't.

If I had my way, I'd give Phoebe Waller-Bridge sole responsibility for the script and a relatively tiny budget and tell her to do her best.

Then we might get something very special.

Quote: Aaron @ 4th June 2019, 11:48 PM

That didn't stop them making Ghosts did it. :)

Maybe it's like an exam. Sometimes when you do no revision whatsoever and cram it all in at the last minute, you still get a great result. This might be the greatest Bond ever.

See post below

Quote: Aaron @ 6th June 2019, 9:39 AM

Sounds crazy. I'm genuinely surprised they are able to secure funding and insurance for productions that don't even have a complete script. I guess it's a lot easier for something in a series and with huge studio backing than for an indie original though.

See post above

Dame Emma Thompson spoke out about this recently - A lack of respect for writers from Hollywood, asking them to finish a script asap or lose the contract.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 4th June 2019, 9:24 PM

The woes of Bond 25 escalated today as what was supposed to be a controlled explosion on set turned into a completely uncontrolled explosion that blew part of the roof off and several large holes in the sides of the building.

The set is said to be on "total lockdown".

The film is due to be released on April 3, 2020 but as yet has no title, no script and much less of a set than it had yesterday.

Not sure why but there've been a few dangerous incidents at Pinewood in the last few years. First they burnt down the entire 007 Stage and had to rebuild it. Then a stray door fell on Han Solo and broke his leg. Then, I think it was here, Tom Cruise broke several things smashing into a wall instead of landing on the roof. I do have an inkling of one in the water tank set as well but can't remember the actor or the film. Their insurance premium is bound to have shot up. I passed by there the other day and saw several fire engines on stand by so they are well prepared for explosions and the like.