This Time With Alan Partridge Page 12

Now the series is over and I've made the effort to read all of the posts on this thread I'm still feeling a bit miffed about the whole thing. I just wished it had been funnier. Yes, I agree that the character of Partridge had to move on from his IAP days and as a fan and a total nerd, I really appreciated many of the references to earlier situations or characters (Pete Gabbitas was a personal fave.)

It just could have been so much better. I echo the sentiments concerning that Partridge has been middle aged for the last 30 or so years.

Someone's uploaded five minutes of the non-TX pilot, which is a DVD extra, to YouTube.

It's interesting to note how many jokes are changed between both versions of the first episode. Often an unaired pilot is the (exact) same script with a lower budget so I think this is really cool

Noticed watching This Morning With Richard Not Judy that the title sequence changed slightly as the series went on like with this, so it could've been an influence here.

And the jokes they did about advertising on the BBC might explain the Monty Don thing.

Looking forward to the return of this tonight. The first series wasn't vintage Partridge, but it was still funny with the odd flash of genius.

Well I hope the jokes are better than the one in the current promo about not using raw eggs - Poor!

Quote: chipolata @ 30th April 2021, 2:14 PM

Looking forward to the return of this tonight. The first series wasn't vintage Partridge, but it was still funny with the odd flash of genius.

Indeed, though felt the second half of the series did better, IIRC.

Quote: chipolata @ 30th April 2021, 2:14 PM

The Irish Alan scene and the entire corporal punishment segment were two of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.

I'm sorry (I don't know why) but I didn't laugh once.

It's past its sell by date I think.

Lovely stuff. It worked for me, with plenty of bits I'm keen to rewatch. As with the first series, Alan's filmed segment was one of the strongest parts.

The only bit that didn't work for me was Simon Denton struggling with the tech, which seemed a rehash of what we saw in the first series.

Quote: chipolata @ 30th April 2021, 10:18 PM

Lovely stuff. It worked for me, with plenty of bits I'm keen to rewatch. As with the first series, Alan's filmed segment was one of the strongest parts.

The only bit that didn't work for me was Simon Denton struggling with the tech, which seemed a rehash of what we saw in the first series.

I'm sorry but what were you on? I'd had two pints and I didn't raise a titter. (Make of that what you want!)

Quote: chipolata @ 30th April 2021, 10:18 PM

The entire episode was a rehash of what we'd seen before!

Left me cold. Such a shame as he should have left the character on a high and not flogged it to death.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 1st May 2021, 12:21 AM

The entire episode was a rehash of what we'd seen before.

In a way all comedy just rehashes and reoeats itself. Arguably Fawlty Towers is just the same episode regurgitated twelve times.

Aside from the Simon Denton struggling with tech stuff, I was happy that there were enough new wrinkles and variations to keep it feeling fresh. Forr me, anyway..

I liked the monk scene. Otherwise, this was really trite stuff.

I cannot believe they brought back the Ruth Duggan segment, it wasn't funny in series 1 and it continues to be excruciating.

The Simon Denton bits I'm not sure work. If we're meant to buy into the idea of this being a real show, Simon would be too incompetent to make the presenters tea never mind get anywhere near the screen.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, laughed at several moments.

Great to have it back!

Amazing the different things that amuse us.