Only Connect Page 50

Dozed off during this episode, probably only because I was tired and not because of yet another raucously jolly forced singalong. Didn't previously know that Johnny Depp had only one testicle though.

With Kenny now apparently gone, it leaves it to me to wonder yet again WHY the sing song last night. It adds nothing and is an embarrassment to all concerned on both sides of the screen.

But more than that, I am getting seriously pissed off with the Portillo sexual innuendo "jokes" at the end of the show. WHY!! That's at least three now, and it serves NOTHING and can only be that somebody in the edit team has an issue with him and think it's hilarious to make spurious claims about him. STOP IT!! (I don't think this is Victoria writing these)

PS They had one of mine on again last night - it was........................... (SPOILER ALERT!)......... relating to the heraldic colours

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 9th April 2019, 12:04 PM

PS They had one of mine on again last night - it was........................... (SPOILER ALERT!)......... relating to the heraldic colours

Very good question!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 9th April 2019, 12:04 PM

But more than that, I am getting seriously pissed off with the Portillo sexual innuendo "jokes" at the end of the show. WHY!! That's at least three now, and it serves NOTHING

You seem quite familiar with the ex-MP or maybe it's your wife?

In answer, it's just a little bit of ISIHAC style silliness.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 9th April 2019, 1:46 PM

Very good question!

Thank you. :)

Frustrating though when I think of the number I have pitched over the years to have them turned down and then see similar, as was the case last night. Angry They do have these unwritten "rules" that they admit they break or bend, presumably when one of the clique pitches it.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 9th April 2019, 2:44 PM

You seem quite familiar with the ex-MP or maybe it's your wife?

In answer, it's just a little bit of ISIHAC style silliness.

I have no axe to grind or trumpet to blow regarding Mr. Portillo, but I do happen to think he is a very good presenter and interviewer (takes a genuine interest in what people are saying to him) on all his series of Great Railway Journeys.
Maybe he's in on the "jokes". Maybe he even writes the "jokes". Who knows - I bet there are a number of writers on this forum who would love to be paid good money for writing bollocks.

The BIG difference in your second statement is that they are very funny on ISIHAC - what's on OC is childish claptrap.

I've been writing bollocks for years for nothing, why can't I do it? Now while I don't know f**k all about railways, what I did find out I would present in a far more 'Edgier' format.
How about Teddy Does Tauton where I stagger about the train drunk on scrumpy and going in and out of compartments offending sensible people? I feel it is the role that I was born to play .

I would take the piss out of Portillo's clothes. Those colour combinations of jacket and trousers leave a lot to be desired.

Anyway Herc, I'm not asking how much but do they pay well?

Quote: Chappers @ 10th April 2019, 5:22 PM

I would take the piss out of Portillo's clothes. Those colour combinations of jacket and trousers leave a lot to be desired.

I'd hazard a guess at no.

Quote: Chappers @ 10th April 2019, 5:22 PM

Coincidentally had an email this evening from the editor to say they have just finished recording Series 15, which may well be on earlier this time, say late summer. I had seven "Missing Vowels" accepted, but as I'd never bothered with them before, I don't know what the rate is for them. I can't remember how many Connections and Sequences I had accepted, but they pay £30 and £40.

Useful when you get your brain in gear.

Like throwing shit at a brick wall though, AND you have to accept that there are unwritten rules that you must abide by while accepting that The Clique and paid writers are allowed to break them. Unimpressed

I know how that feels Herc but regardless of that you get stuff through. Imagine how much of theirs wouldn't make the grade if they were submitting from our position?I'll tell you none!

Yup, and every week almost I sit there watching it and yell in my head at some of the connections WTF !!

Them's the breaks.

Going back to Michael Portillo would you prefer jokes about Emily Thornberry?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 12th April 2019, 9:14 AM

Going back to Michael Portillo would you prefer jokes about Emily Thornberry?

As Vic used to say "You wouldn't let it lie"............................

Wha? Who the f**k is that (I'm not looking her up) and why her, and no, I don't want any "jokes" that are repeated ad nauseum.

Have a little relevant parting quip if you must, but this is just tedious. But having said that, we did have a spate of "in jokes" about the two editors that thank God seems to have died a death, about the jokes they play on each other and what they think of each other. The same sort of thing. 'Effin hilarious, I think not.

It's like a stand-up saying "I know I just told you this joke and nobody laughed, but you clearly didn't get it the first time, so I'm going to repeat it 'cos it's a f**king brilliant joke"