HOW MUCH !!!!? Page 11

Quote: Briosaid @ 9th April 2019, 12:30 PM

I swear by Aldi for many, many things , especially TOILET ROLLS. Because of my hernia op, Mr B has had to do the shopping and is absolutely astounded every time he goes to Aldi, at how little he pays, instead of his usual haunts of Tesco and Morrison.A lot of people turn up snobby noses if you mention Aldi, but THEY're the mugs.

I love Aldi, but I don't drive, so I'd have to be carting it all back on the bus...plus it would cost more to use the bus to get there and back than it would to spend out on annual delivery passes for two of my preferred supermarkets. I could order a delivery online from Iceland where I used to live, but now I have to go to the store and choose my shopping in person, before having it delivered later in the day. Years ago, I could manage the huge bunches of carrier bags on each hand...and the inevitable restriction of blood to the ends of my fingers as a result. I could even deal with the hassle of finding places on the bus to stash those bags in places I could easily keep an eye on as I travelled home. Now...I just cannot...any of it...nope.

Rood, I don't suppose you fancy driving all the way down here once a week, just to take me shopping...then driving all the way back home again afterwards...no sex obvs...because we hate all that nonsense.

Back to Aldi, though...I used to be able to shop for EVERYthing in the huge one a few towns down the coast from me (Hythe). It's like a TK Max with food aisles. I remember a few years ago, my friend (the one I see every few months) serving up the most amazing burgers at her annual barbecue. I just had to buy them myself and we both raved over how lovely they were and how Aldi really was the best place to do our shopping. I don't think I need say anything more than...this was about five years ago...and they're not allowed to sell them anymore. I remember an overwhelming feeling of disappointment that I couldn't have those burgers anymore...mixed with a fair amount of guilt...both of these emotions, however, were closely followed by a sense of shame...because I was totally fine about eating them when I thought they were cowburgers. I'm a terrible person.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 9th April 2019, 2:57 PM

Rood, I don't suppose you fancy driving all the way down here once a week, just to take me shopping...then driving all the way back home again afterwards...no sex obvs...because we hate all that nonsense.

I have to admit I find the offer of "no sex" almost irresistible: if you lived around the corner, I'd be delighted to take you shopping on that basis.

Sadly, however, you're far far away (to quote my favourite Slade song). :(

Quote: Rood Eye @ 9th April 2019, 3:27 PM

I have to admit I find the offer of "no sex" almost irresistible: if you lived around the corner, I'd be delighted to take you shopping on that basis.

Sadly, however, you're far far away (to quote my favourite Slade song). :(

Selfish.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 9th April 2019, 2:45 PM

You do know there are taps in the gents? Laughing out loud

I couldn't do that even if it was labelled potable. I can only drink bottled water and if it's from the tap at home it has to be boiled such as tea/coffee/noodles etc.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 9th April 2019, 2:57 PM

Back to Aldi, though...I used to be able to shop for EVERYthing in the huge one a few towns down the coast from me (Hythe). It's like a TK Max with food aisles. I remember a few years ago, my friend (the one I see every few months) serving up the most amazing burgers at her annual barbecue. I just had to buy them myself and we both raved over how lovely they were and how Aldi really was the best place to do our shopping. I don't think I need say anything more than...this was about five years ago...and they're not allowed to sell them anymore. I remember an overwhelming feeling of disappointment that I couldn't have those burgers anymore...mixed with a fair amount of guilt...both of these emotions, however, were closely followed by a sense of shame...because I was totally fine about eating them when I thought they were cowburgers. I'm a terrible person.

They wouldn't have been kangaroo or ostrich, would they? My younger son has very limited tastes, plus everything has to be utterly plain. I was overwhelmed with delight when he started eating kangaroo and ostrich (I've never tasted them) , but Aldi, Lidl, Tesco and Morrison have all stopped doing it. Maybe it's unethical or something.

They kept jumping the queue

Quote: Briosaid @ 9th April 2019, 7:48 PM

They wouldn't have been kangaroo or ostrich, would they? My younger son has very limited tastes, plus everything has to be utterly plain. I was overwhelmed with delight when he started eating kangaroo and ostrich (I've never tasted them) , but Aldi, Lidl, Tesco and Morrison have all stopped doing it. Maybe it's unethical or something.

I think it's a mixture of low demand and high levels of complaints from people and organisations concerned about animal cruelty.

When required for meat, kangaroos are usually shot in the wild (often not too cleanly) and their young are then mercifully clubbed to death to save them from starvation.

Ostriches are difficult to farm as they are essentially wild animals that like wide-open spaces and don't get along well with humans. They're also easily frightened and so it's reasonable to assume they're pretty miserable in captivity. When it becomes time to turn them into burgers, they are knocked out with an electric stun gun and the process rarely goes as smoothly as might be considered ideal.

All things considered, I think the world is a better place without kangaroo and ostrich meat on our supermarket shelves.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 9th April 2019, 8:36 PM

They kept jumping the queue

Laughing out loudLaughing out loud

Quote: beaky @ 22nd March 2019, 7:25 PM

Serves you right for being so middle class.

:)

Quote: Briosaid @ 9th April 2019, 12:30 PM

I swear by Aldi for many, many things , especially TOILET ROLLS. Because of my hernia op, Mr B has had to

Wipe your bum?

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 9th April 2019, 5:51 PM

I couldn't do that even if it was labelled potable. I can only drink bottled water and if it's from the tap at home it has to be boiled such as tea/coffee/noodles etc.

I never buy or drink bottled water unless I'm abroad.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 9th April 2019, 5:51 PM

I remember when we used to drink from the communal drinking water fountain in the local park.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 10th April 2019, 7:36 PM

I remember when we used to drink from the communal drinking water fountain in the local park.

My parents worked at the local courthouse in the 1970s and one day my mother pointed out that the water fountains there always came in sets of two. She then pointed to the old screw holes in the tile walls, but they didn't mean anything to me. She explained that people who had worked there for decades remembered when there were "White" and "Colored" signs above the fountains. :(

Quote: DaButt @ 10th April 2019, 10:47 PM

My parents worked at the local courthouse in the 1970s and one day my mother pointed out that the water fountains there always came in sets of two. She then pointed to the old screw holes in the tile walls, but they didn't mean anything to me. She explained that people who had worked there for decades remembered when there were "White" and "Colored" signs above the fountains. :(

When I was at secondary school, the boys and girls had separate schoolyards, we used separate doors to enter/exit the school, we had separate cloakrooms, separate toilets and separate staircases between the ground and the upper floor. We were also segregated (not officially but by choice) in classrooms: I never once saw a girl and a boy sitting at adjacent desks.

It was beyond imagination that the day would come when a British schoolgirl would, as a matter of course, have to change a tampon in a school toilet cubicle while a gang of schoolboys hammered on the cubicle door and made unhelpful comments - all in the name of equality.

"Be careful what you wish for."

Quote: Rood Eye @ 22nd February 2019, 4:55 PM

I'm led to believe that Royal Mint Chocolate Liqueur tastes the same.

It's not easy to find but it is apparently in stock at the outlet below: £19.99 for 70 cl.

https://www.mailabottle.co.uk/liqueurs/royal-mint-chocolate-liqueur-detail

They take PayPal so, if your bottle doesn't turn up, PayPal will refund your money.

----------------------------------------------

You can also get this sort of thing from https://sayitwithchampers.co.uk too.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 10th April 2019, 11:29 PM

I never once saw a girl and a boy sitting at adjacent desks.

And, ironically, any boy showing interest in the girls was immediately dubbed a 'poof'.

Prices at Cheltenham this week:

Pint of Guinness £7
Gin & Tonic £14
Portion of "fries" £9
Hot Dog (basic) £10

And a copy of the Racing Post increased by 7.7% from £3.90 per day to £4.20 per day