Meet The Richardsons

I hear there's a new sitcom (or spoof documentary, if you like) in the pipeline starring Jon Richardson and his wife, Lucy Beaumont.

It's not totally different in "situation" from another recent sitcom starring two comedians as husband and wife.

I look forward to it with interest.

Can he act?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 10th April 2019, 3:09 PM

Can he act?

A good question but I don't think he'll be required to do any serious acting.

I understand that he and Lucy will be themselves, although that will involve standing where they're told and saying the words (which is how the vast majority of soap actors do their acting).

I wonder if she is as interesting as him.

You heard it here first, folks!

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5355/jon_richardson_and_lucy_beaumont_sitcom/

I'm looking forward to it. Lucy's "To Hull and Back" is a little gem. We shall see.

One problem with UKTV's original sitcoms generally is that they don't particularly suit the channel they're on. Granted, that's because there's less to go on since they're more focused on repeats.

A sitcom about the life of a panel show comedian, though, is more suited.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 10th April 2019, 3:06 PM

I hear there's a new sitcom (or spoof documentary, if you like) in the pipeline starring Jon Richardson and his wife, Lucy Beaumont.

Almost 11 months later, it's no longer in the pipeline: it's about to be broadcast.

The first episode is on tonight at 10 PM on Dave.

I really, really enjoyed that. Laughed solidly throughout, especially at the Bernie Clifton scenes (the bit on the trampoline had me laughing the hardest!) Lovely back and forth between Lucy and Jon, looking forward to seeing where they take it.

I too thought it was great. If that first episode is anything to go by, it's going to be a great series.

It couldn't have been much better, could it?

Well, I suppose it could (in theory) but I have to say it was exceedingly good.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it were written, produced and directed by Mr Kipling himself!

Just as funny this week, Susie Dent was great value and the scene with the alpacas really made me laugh.

For sheer entertainment value, I find "Meet the Richardsons" very hard to beat.

Never in all my born days have I seen a couple better suited to each other as romantic partners than Jon and Lucy: if that marriage doesn't last, I'll eat my hat.

I would urge everybody to give this show a watch. You'll either get it or you won't and, if you do, you'll have struck 24-carat gold.

I haven't watched it yet expecting it to not be that great but following these comments I'll give it a go.

In all honesty, whilst it wasn't what I'd imagined it to be, there's little room for criticism. The teaser ads made the documentary aspect slightly more genuine; so when it became obvious, in the first episode, that it was scripted and had structured situations, I became skeptical of its intent.

No doubt though that both Jon & Lucy CAN actually act quite well, which makes the docu format convincing enough! I was only doubtful initially because it could easily have not worked, had it been obvious it was scripted. That would have felt too obvious a decision just to allow for 'that' comedy filming style; the one that allows for looking straight down the camera.

Second episode was definitely better, don't you think?