Derry Girls - Series 2 Page 2

Quote: Aaron @ 27th March 2019, 12:06 AM

Interesting perspective. I thought it uncharacteristically weak. Too much of the adults and not enough of the girls getting up to mischief alone.

Still bloody funny, mind.

I see where you're coming from. Funnily enough I'm the opposite, I liked that it focused more on the adults this week, made a nice change.

Quote: Aaron @ 27th March 2019, 12:06 AM

Interesting perspective. I thought it uncharacteristically weak. Too much of the adults and not enough of the girls getting up to mischief alone.

Still bloody funny, mind.

Fully agreed. The focus on the adults made it a bit duller, still decent as a whole though.

Shifting the focus from the kids to the adults made this episode different but I wouldn't say it was better or worse than previous episodes because of that shift.

Lisa McGee can write very funny comedy and much of her talent lies in her ability to come up with superbly funny - and yet entirely credible and appropriate - dialogue. Looking back over the decades, it's a talent that made all the great sitcoms great and it's a talent that, when absent from a writer's skill set, made all the crap sitcoms crap.

One thing that Lisa McGee appears to know very little about, however, is domestic plumbing: you can't flood a bathroom floor by blocking the bog - unless, of course, you operate the flush and, when the bowl starts to overflow, you just keep operating the flush until you're knee deep in water.

All in all, however, it was a very funny episode in a very funny series.

What a lovely final episode. I was intrigued how she would approach the ending this series, given that the last one was so brilliant. And so was this, but in a different way. The same bond of friendship, but with the added "I am a Derry Girl" thing, simple but very effective. In fact if I had one complaint, it's that the mother coming back really should've been set up last episode or even a few episodes ago, building up to this, it did feel very rushed that he abandoned them, had a change of heart and came back all in Act 2.

I think "Derry Girls" is worth a place in the top twenty sitcoms.

Series three has been confirmed, I believe.