I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,026

Apparently, Jill (keep your hand on your) Halfpenny has had some 19 "intimate" photographs of herself hacked from her computer and posted online.

As far as I can tell from having seen her on TV several times, this woman is not a complete idiot. Accordingly, therefore, one has to wonder how these photographs ever came into existence.

Wish they'd hurry up and get the men/women in white coats to deal with Theresa May. She's an effing headbanger.

A woman in her 40s is fighting for her life after being stabbed in the back by a six-foot-three man on Aberdeen Road, Edmonton, at 7pm on Saturday.

There have already been 31 murders in London this year, including 14 this month.

The police describe the assailant (who is still at large and therefore highly dangerous) in terms of colour and height but interestingly, the only descriptive factor our newspapers are willing to publish in their headlines is the man's tallness - probably because being heightist isn't actually a thing.

Quote: Briosaid @ 30th March 2019, 11:35 PM

Theresa May. She's an effing headbanger.

Now I get why she dances that way. She's not good at using her head is she ? :P

Police say that FOUR apparently random people have now been stabbed in the back in London since yesterday evening.

They believe the same assailant is responsible for all the attacks and they are warning the public to be vigilant.

The problem is that, if the assailant is caught and convicted, he'll still be able to go around stabbing people while he's doing his community service.

I think something might be wrong with our criminal justice system.

30 years mandatory for any stabbing
10 years for carrying.

What's the current penalty for carrying a knife? It doesn't seem to be working. It's almost as if laws don't stop people from using weapons. ;)

I carry a lock-blade knife in my pocket all day, every day.

Heard on the radio a pub chain is banning the use of mobile phones and laptops in all its pubs and anyone who needs to make a call has to go outside. Sounds ridiculous to me and will be difficult to enforce. Using phones can be antisocial when in a group but what about important calls like from family?

Quote: DaButt @ 31st March 2019, 4:02 PM

What's the current penalty for carrying a knife? It doesn't seem to be working. It's almost as if laws don't stop people from using weapons. ;)

I carry a lock-blade knife in my pocket all day, every day.

For any prohibited knife, the maximum penalty is four years in prison and an unlimited fine - unless, of course, you have an acceptable reason for carrying the knife in public.

A knife with a folding blade and a cutting-edge less than 3 inches long is okay to carry about your person.

A lock knife, regardless of size, may not be carried without reasonable excuse.

Basically, the sort of knife only a nutter would carry in public is very probably illegal.

The problem in Britain today is that it's quite difficult to be sent to prison for anything short of murder or a serious sexual offence.

In the case of women, it's not difficult to get sent to prison - it's almost f***ing impossible.

I'm still reeling from the case of a gang of young women who beat another woman to the ground and repeatedly kicked her in the head while shouting "Kill the white slag!" At trial, the judge let them walk free from court because, as members of a certain religion, they were unused to drinking alcohol and he thought their behaviour when drunk was probably not typical of their real characters.

Isn't Britain wonderful?

I mean, the USA is far from perfect but they seem to be doing a pretty good job of removing undesirables from the street at every available opportunity.

Update: a 27-year-old woman has just walked free from Preston Crown Court after being convicted of hitting a man in the face with a bottle in a nightclub. The man required plastic surgery to repair his injuries. I think we might all agree that, if a man had done the same thing to a woman, he'd now be starting a significant prison sentence.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 31st March 2019, 4:07 PM

Using phones can be antisocial when in a group but what about important calls like from family?

Yes, I wonder how we managed in the past when we were uncontactable for a few minutes.

Yes, it was always on our minds when we were out pubbing in the 60s & 70s.

I can understand smoking and swearing (the same pub chain banned swearing in 2017) but the freedom to use phones is going a bit far and seems unenforceable. Do they expect bar staff to tell keep telling people to go outside if they pull out a mobile phone? It''s just going to lead to arguments and a better and safer approach would be to introduce technology free areas so customers have a choice. I thought pubs were struggling enough already to risk losing trade by implementing blanket bans of something that is so widespread. The rule is you can use phones outside but ipads and laptops are banned inside and outside.

In Texas, Luis Arroyo, 41, who escaped from jail only to be recaptured one hour later was sentenced to 99 years imprisonment for the jailbreak.

Interestingly, the sentence wasn't decided by an ultra-right-wing judge: it was decided by a jury.

I get the impression that Texas folk don't take lightly to having their laws broken.

Meanwhile, in South Carolina, Samantha Josephson, a 21-year-old student who got into a stranger's car having mistaken it for her Uber was found dead by turkey-hunters in a field only hours later.

A 24-year-old man has been arrested after police examined his car and found inside it the dead girl's blood, her cell phone, bleach and cleaning equipment.

I can understand people who murder for profit or for revenge but what sort of person murders a girl who gets into the back of his car thinking he's a taxi driver?

If only there were a way to identify these people at an early age, they could be locked up for life before they do any serious harm to anybody.

Could it be as simple as stopping them on the street, searching them, finding a knife in their possession and producing them before a court that knows its civic duty?

Or is that too obvious a solution?

Jim Carrey has angered Alessandra Mussolini by tweeting a drawing of her grandfather and his lover hanging dead and upside down in post-war Italy. Jim added a caption suggesting that this is what fascism leads to.

While acknowledging that fascism might not be the ideal political system, I think it's worth noting that to replace it with democracy in 1940s Europe cost 50 million people their lives.

How many lives would fascism have claimed if left unchecked? A tiny fraction of 50 million, that's for sure.

Whichever way you look at it, we should cherish our democracy: it's the most expensive luxury any of us will ever enjoy.