Gyles Brandreth: Discuss

He's very popular on 'Just A Minute' - what do other BCGers think? I personally find him rather annoying.

I like him. And he wrote the wonderful Dear Ladies.

Quote: Aaron @ 16th March 2015, 6:55 PM GMT

I like him.

Me too -like his bits on The One Show. Very entertaining.

Maybe I'm being somewhat unfair then? I know that he used to be a Conservative MP, ran a teddy bear museum and seems to suck up to the Royals rather a lot...?

I like him too. And he wrote a bunch of fun novels about Oscar Wilde being pals with Arthur Conan Doyle and Bram Stoker.

I admit, I don't 'get' him - he's clearly playing a role. English eccentric and all that - akin to that man who dubs himself 'Captain Beeny' and devotes his life to the baked bean.

...although that particular guy is actually Welsh.

My childish automatic response to any former Tory MP is to loathe

With this guy I have to make an exception

He his hilarious

Total prat!

But very very funny

I do find him entertaining and I like it when he is on programmes like "Just A Minute".

Whether I like him is more in the balance. But I prefer him to many on panel shows.

And I do think there are some who help raise the game. Another is Sheila Hancock.

She often brought the best out of Kenneth Williams by being solid and, well, just her.

I like him. He is always very entertaining.

Was going to create a thread, but never mind....................

Yes, like Marmite, but the general feeling on this thread it seems is admiration, if somewhat begrudging in some posts.
Personally, I think he is GREAT! And on Sunday Brunch this morning he was on fire!! I thought Tim Lovejoy was going to have a seizure, he was laughing so much - his anecdotes on famous people he has met just get better and better and can be shocking, such as the one he told this morning about Mick Jagger.

But it's the little throwaways that get me (and Tim Lovejoy it seems) - he was talking about his successful tours and Edinburgh etc. when he said he always takes his wife with him as a roadie and sometime groupie when there are none available...........................

He also VERY cleverly got Tim at it with his "tapping Marmite with a spoon makes it turn white". Tim fell for it, as all and sundry watched him try this out much to the delight of the crew, guests and viewers when it dawned on him he was the only one gullible enough and then realised he was having his plonker pulled - SO FUNNY!

ALSO, when he is on Just A Minute that is being repeated on Radio 4+, especially when he is on with Tony Hawks - the two of them just spark each other off, the result(s) being a hysterical half hour.

Despite his wit and intelligence, I have always found him a touch creepy.
Especially around women.
He stares at them too long with a gormless look on his face.

Saw his live show and while a lot of it was recycled it was amusing. I also like him on Just A Minute although I'm assuming he's sending himself up. If he's not then....

He also co-wrote a radio comedy Living With The Enemy, which suggest he does have a great deal of self awareness. It's also pretty funny.

Giles is currently a recurring character in 'Life on Egg' playing himself.

Gyles Brandreth discuss

As opposed to Gyles Brandreth shut up?

He's a bore.