This Time With Alan Partridge Page 9

Well, I think we can safely say Steve wasn't Alan tonight. The show wasn't so much about the #MeToo movement as it was about sexist attitudes.

If the #MeToo movement were primarily, or even significantly, concerned with men's perceptions of a woman's ability to reverse a car into a parking space or the acceptability of Les Dawson's mother-in-law jokes in a modern society, I'd say the show did a good job. But it's not, and so it didn't.

#MeToo is about sexist attitudes in the same way the Battle of the Somme was about Anglo-German rivalry: sort of "in a way . . . but not really".

Quote: Rood Eye @ 25th March 2019, 7:14 PM

I doubt Steve Coogan is willing to sacrifice his TV career by having Alan (as Alan certainly would) denounce the #MeToo Brigade as a load of moaning Minnies.

Part of Alan's character has always been that he does his best to keep up with the times but he doesn't always hit the mark, a bit like David Brent. It wouldn't fit either of them to go out of their way to be bigoted. I thought what was in the episode, with him trying to show how much he supports them but not getting it all right, was far more characteristic.

It's not vintage Partridge but it still makes me laugh. Rolling eyes

Yes and No - It's not vintage Partridge and it still doesn't make me laugh.

Quote: Firkin @ 25th March 2019, 11:34 PM

I'd agree with that. I think it's been a great series but I think they've made the right decision to focus on a different format next rather than do a second run of This Time.

Quote: Firkin @ 25th March 2019, 11:34 PM

Vintage Partridge wasn't considered Vintage Partridge when it was first broadcast, Only with the benefit of hindsight (and when people start quoting lines and catchphrases) do TV shows become classics.

Most Partridge fans would consider classic Partridge to be series 1 of I'm Alan Partridge but I doubt at the time people were thinking of it as vintageTV. Anyone reading the preview along the lines of "Well it's a sitcom about a sacked TV presenter amd the adventures he gets up to in a travel tavern on the outskirts of Norwich" would probably think "That doesn't sound funny, don't think I'll bother".

The very nature of a "One Show" style show is that it's effectively a series of sketches and like any sketch show, some work better than others. There's been some superb bits so far (The battle re-enactment, Monty Don sting, the Irish Lookalike and last nights History of Swearing feature) which more than balance out the bits that don't quite work.

Quote: Basil Rathbon @ 26th March 2019, 11:52 AM

There's been some superb bits so far (The battle re-enactment, Monty Don sting, the Irish Lookalike and last nights History of Swearing feature) which more than balance out the bits that don't quite work.

Basil's opinion above shows exactly why, as I've said in a previous post, if an infinite number of monkeys were to sit at an infinite number of keyboards and bash out a few pages of A4, you could take thirty of those pages at random and send them to TV production companies in the sure and certain knowledge that eventually one of them would buy the script, put it on TV and that somebody somewhere would like it.

Quote: Basil Rathbon @ 26th March 2019, 11:52 AM

The very nature of a "One Show" style show is that it's effectively a series of sketches and like any sketch show, some work better than others.

Yeah, I think the format is really good for it. A lot of the surreal VT's and cutaways are balanced out by the great, naturalist acting by the supporting cast. Susannah Fielding in particular is doing a brilliant job.

The ladyboy joke felt a bit caustic even though the point was it's a reference. Otherwise though I like all the references to other bits of Partridge, and Simon still trying to banter but Alan not really joining in because they're on a big show now is great. The group singing 'This Time with Alan Partridge' is also a small but delightfully meta joke, a bit like the joke from the very beginning of the series about Mid Morning Matters being a radio show in their world but a TV show in ours. Also reminded me of how in the intro the receptionist is now smiling at Alan instead of just looking fed up at him, in trying hard to replace John.

The #MeToo / sexism parts made me laugh a lot, and I liked when he said he turned over to Woman's Hour by mistake but then thought it was 'actually quite good', the little digs at other parts of TV and the BBC have been a joy. How he still kept talking like nothing had happened with his hand over his mouth was quite good, although overall I wasn't sure on the lips thing. It wasn't as bad as it could've been but it still wasn't good. The swearing segment was a highlight as you say, and the Ruth segments are always a nice addition too.

Quote: jsg @ 26th March 2019, 12:54 PM

It wasn't as bad as it could've been

A fitting epitaph, I think.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 26th March 2019, 1:06 PM

A fitting epitaph, I think.

Faint praise, indeed!

It's still twitching - will somebody PLEASE put it out of its misery.

Alan acted exactly as expected, trying so hard to be modern but ending up looking anything but. The swearing segment is one of the best of the series so far.

But I cannot emphasise how unfunny the Ruth Duggan bits are. Funny once? Yes. But as a running gag hammered home every single episode? We get the joke, move on.

Missed bits of it yesterday and it had some good moments but overall I think it was the weakest continuity wise and not sure about the lips ending. I think they were just a fraction too big taking it to absurdsville. Overall it's been enjoyable and am hoping there will be some extras on the DVD. Steve Coogan's releases tend to have some discharge. Like out takes and behind the scenes stuff. Given the type of show This Time is and it's at the BBC studios I would be surprised and disappointed if the DVD only consists of the six episodes and nothing else.

I wouldn't be surprised if Steve Coogan very soon elects for early retirement and takes Alan Partridge with him.

I think "This Time" should be swept under the carpet and forgotten about.

I'd echo the views that it hasn't been vintage Partridge by any means, but it's still made me laugh. More than most British comedies around at the moment. Each episode is every much a mixed bag, swinging from the sublime (the swearing report) to the ridiculous (the lips).

I'm not sure the 'off camera' bits have worked that well. Lynn worked well in the undercover report, but has seemed largely redundant the rest of the time. I'd have rather they went down the Knowing Me route and just concentrated on what goes on in camera.

That said, I am looking forward to rewatching it on DVD without the weight of expectation on it.