Warren Page 7

Quote: Chappers @ 25th March 2019, 10:38 PM

Loved it again. Like Jack Dee with attitude.

Yeah, I thought it was great. I was laughing several times throughout.

Each show does include a number of funny bits but that doesn't excuse the decidedly unfunny bits.

There really isn't much comedy in exploiting innocent people's good nature in order to rob and cheat them.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 25th March 2019, 11:36 PM

Yes, still enjoying, but his nastiness is becoming a bit tiresome. I can't think that anyone could keep being so awful without going off their rocker and having a mental breakdown.

Or someone smashing his face in!

Yes it's surprising someone hasn't given him a sharp uppercut, or as Hancock's used to say "a punch up the bracket, mush"

Quote: gb901 @ 25th March 2019, 10:09 PM

Comparisons with One Foot are wildly far of the mark: Victor Meldrew was well and truly a grumpy old man. Warren however is an objectionable shit - his manipulation regarding the caravan was repellent IMO!

IT'S A FUCKING COMEDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote: Chappers @ 26th March 2019, 11:33 PM

*Allegedly

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 26th March 2019, 11:59 PM

*Allegedly

Like This Time With Alan Partridge you mean.

Quote: garyd @ 23rd March 2019, 3:15 PM

I was very discouraged by the first episode but on the grounds of reasonability I thought I'd give the second episode a go.
Oh dear. I gave up after 13.5 minutes.

The programme appears to be "real life" therefore one would expect the characters to have a semblance of normality.

But Anne is just a no! For example, why on earth would she have accepted the blame (on behalf of Warren) for running over the cat?

And the grandparents. One can only assume they are both senile, giving Warren the fiver in the belief it would be of financial help, yet they are not portrayed as such.

The elderly neighbour who apparently passed her driving test after lessons from Warren's competitor yet she is shown as totally unable to handle the Mini. Nonsense!

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 23rd March 2019, 11:23 PM

The genius of One Foot though is that it WAS believable, due to Renwick's painstaking process of setting up and threading everything that happens logically in the first half of an episode, leading to a payoff that makes absolute sense. Warren does not. I caught the end bit with the radio phone in. It didn't work because it didn't follow any kind of logic.

I am not trying to compare the two series in terms of quality but, in terms of believability, personally I would find the grandparents giving their son in law £5 or the neighbour crashing her car more believable than, for example, someone being buried up totheir neck in their back garden with a flower pot over their head.

Or perhaps I lead a more mundane life than others.

Thank God that's over. I certainly won't be watching it IF there is another series. You have Victor Meldrew et al (Jack Dee characters for example) but this bloke doesn't have one redeeming feature - a complete an utter miserable bastard who you simply cannot like.

Nope, never want to see him again.

Quote: Chappers @ 26th March 2019, 11:33 PM

Language, Timothy!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 1st April 2019, 11:19 PM

Thank God that's over. I certainly won't be watching it IF there is another series. You have Victor Meldrew et al (Jack Dee characters for example) but this bloke doesn't have one redeeming feature - a complete an utter miserable bastard who you simply cannot like.

Indeed - he is totally objectionable!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 1st April 2019, 11:19 PM

Quote: gb901 @ 1st April 2019, 11:42 PM

Language, Timothy!

Indeed - he is totally objectionable!

Which makes it doubly funny!

I remember when Les Battersby first appeared on Coronation Street: he was just a vile thug.

Not long thereafter, he became one of the most well-loved comedy characters the street has ever known.

I hope the writers of "Warren" will likewise see the error of their ways and remove all his nasty traits, leaving him as a grumpy old sod who isn't actually a bad bloke underneath.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 3rd April 2019, 12:47 AM

I remember when Les Battersby first appeared on Coronation Street: he was just a vile thug.

Not long thereafter, he became one of the most well-loved comedy characters the street has ever known.

I hope the writers of "Warren" will likewise see the error of their ways and remove all his nasty traits, leaving him as a grumpy old sod who isn't actually a bad bloke underneath.

Done before I think - Victor Meldrew, Rick Spleen, Steve in Bad Move........................let sleeping dogs lie I say and while he's in nod land you can put him down.

Whilst not the sparkling, timeless show I'm sure we're all yearning for, I did enjoy Warren throughout. The character didn't grate on me at all, despite being so irredeemably selfish and stingy. He showed just the right amount of (perhaps slightly) begrudging humanity to his family, perhaps. Plus there were good laughs at the expense of his rage. I'd happily watch a second series.

Quote: Aaron @ 6th April 2019, 2:30 PM

Whilst not the sparkling, timeless show I'm sure we're all yearning for, I did enjoy Warren throughout. The character didn't grate on me at all, despite being so irredeemably selfish and stingy. He showed just the right amount of (perhaps slightly) begrudging humanity to his family, perhaps. Plus there were good laughs at the expense of his rage. I'd happily watch a second series.

I get the impression you'll watch anything?