HOW MUCH !!!!? Page 10

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 20th March 2019, 11:42 AM

Just a thought...but have you tried hanging your helmet over the handlebars as you ride along the quieter roads? A fresh breeze might help get some air to it...blow out any creepy crawlies nesting there.

The distance from the front tip of my saddle to the handlebars is 14", so my helmet doesn't quite make it to hang over there. Rolling eyes

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st March 2019, 9:41 AM

The distance from the front tip of my saddle to the handlebars is 14", so my helmet doesn't quite make it to hang over there. Rolling eyes

...and you know this because...

Good morning! :-)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st March 2019, 9:41 AM

I really don't wish to know that. Kindly leave the stage!

For MANY years, I would buy the cheapest can openers I could find, but they died on me so quickly...and I mean easily less than a year, each time. They cost me roughly a quid or less, which seemed like an okay price for a cheap, useful opener...even if it did only last a short while. One day, I decided to spend out about a fiver more on a basic Brabantia one, which has lasted me for more than ten years! So, you can imagine my disappointment at finally having to replace it. I have tried to make it last to squeeze every last drop of value out of it..and to avoid having to pay 8 quid for a replacement, but I've just had to go round a Fray Bentos pie FIVE TIMES!

I bought a metal garlic crusher.
The handle snapped on the first use.
I took it back and the shopkeeper said I had pressed too hard.
He saw my look of disbelief and menace and changed it to or you put too many cloves in.

He begrudgingly gave me another.
That snapped too.

Just ordered some half-price 'Fishless Fingers' from Sainsbury's. Just fingers, then. Only buying them because they're discounted at £1.25, but I just can't get over the product's name confirming what ISN'T in the fingers, rather than just saying they're Quorn Fingers, which is what they are. Even fish style, or fish flavoured would be better. A play on words, I guess, but I'm in a very unforgiving mood today...and now I can smell that pie burning! Excellent!

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 22nd March 2019, 5:58 PM

He saw my look of disbelief and menace and changed it to or you put too many cloves in.

That snapped too.

A lot of metal these days is plastic in disguise. Don't let them win.

I remember asking my daughter (when she was only about six) to pit some olives for me before I put them into bread. She'd always begged me to let her do it...and I'd said no, because I was usually in a rush etc. Anyway...I told her to get the special little gadget she'd seen me use out of the drawer and put each one in to get the stone out...just like mummy does. After a while, I took a quick look at what she'd done so far, only to find she'd actually got the garlic crusher out by mistake and had been smashing all the olives to absolutely nothing, scraping all the bits out on to the chopping board and carrying on regardless. I just looked at it all with my mouth open for a few seconds...then looked at her confused little face, as she also looked down on her work. I think I said something like, "Ah, you've done a brilliant job, thank you!" Didn't have the heart to complain. Big smiles as she watched me scrape all the guts and skins into the bread mixture. Very proud of herself. Haha.

That snapped too.

Serves you right for being so middle class.

Quote: beaky @ 22nd March 2019, 7:25 PM

Serves you right for being so middle class.

O:P

Eewww, swipe me, ain't we posh. Pleased

Couldn't decide whether to put this in the 'pisses me off' section or this one, but it is to do with money and how ridiculous the 'money saving' (not really) Amazon subscription service is.

I've always bought stuff from Amazon on a single-buy basis. Then, I found some really good bargains on bog rolls, baby wipes, dishwasher/laundry tabs etc. I'd already checked the prices against the cost of buying these items as and when from various supermarkets and thought...yeah...why not indulge in a bit of bulk-buying to save a few quid.

At first, I thought...yeah...this is great...I don't even have to worry about running out of anything anymore. Amazon just sends stuff to me regularly and I don't even have to reorder! Excellent!

No...not excellent. After several months of enjoying the convenience of this service, I decided to check the prices again to ensure I was still getting a good deal. I kid you not...I found I was now paying far more for some of the products I'd originally subscribed to, with a couple now costing me more than twice as much. They weren't even anywhere near competing with supermarket prices. I actually (in my thickness) assumed committing to regularly reorder an item would entitle me to receive it at the original price quoted.

Seriously...it's impossible to gain from this service without having to constantly return to the site to check if Amazon is about to substitute the original bargain with the same product, at a higher price, from a different seller, due to the original seller running out of the lower-priced stock. You would have to regularly log in to check your 'orders' and click on any subs about to be dispatched to check the price...then cancel that order and choose an item from a cheaper seller. That is not a convenient automated service. They do NOT inform the subscriber they are about to reorder their subbed item at a more expensive price. They just order it for you and send it. They encourage you to add more products to the service to receive higher percentages of discount. It absolutely does NOT save you ANYthing at all once they start sending out overpriced items without notice.

Needless to say, I've cancelled all the subs...and, when I was asked to select my reason for cancelling each one in a drop-down menu, I clicked 'too expensive'...and now I feel sorry for all the other people who are just as thick as me and still losing money to this awful service.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 9th April 2019, 11:15 AM

all the other people who are just as thick as me

I think the assumptions you made were perfectly reasonable: that, after fulfilling your original order, Amazon would supply the same goods at the same prices in the future - or, in the event of price increases, you would be notified and given the opportunity to change/cancel any or all of your order.

No doubt Amazon have all this covered in the small print but, in the real world, the small print hardly ever gets read - especially when we're dealing with parties we believe to be trustworthy.

I swear by Aldi for many, many things , especially TOILET ROLLS. Because of my hernia op, Mr B has had to do the shopping and is absolutely astounded every time he goes to Aldi, at how little he pays, instead of his usual haunts of Tesco and Morrison.A lot of people turn up snobby noses if you mention Aldi, but THEY're the mugs.

Quote: Briosaid @ 9th April 2019, 12:30 PM

I swear by Aldi for many, many things.

Tesco has some good reductions on individual items on a regular basis but, at standard prices and overall, Aldi beats Tesco hands down.

Aldi's Braeburn apples are nicer than Tesco's and significantly cheaper!

Why are motorway services so expensive? Had to pay £2.45 for a 1 litre bottle of water.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 9th April 2019, 2:36 PM

Why are motorway services so expensive? Had to pay £2.45 for a 1 litre bottle of water.

You do know there are taps in the gents? Laughing out loud