Men Only Page 5

Yes Herc, I know of him, and like his style. Interesting to see his use of stick-on dots sheets (the real name escapes me). I used to use them when I started out, as did lots of others. Very fiddly to use, though. A friend of mine, very successful cartoonist, has started using them again recently, he must have found some sheets in a junk shop or something.

Yes, many, many years ago I watched a programme on cartooning, and they used that technique to give it texture.

So what about the British Cartoon Archive?

Ahh, the stairs runner and the death trap rug on the shiny floor - I remember them well. Rolling eyes

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd March 2019, 6:41 AM

Ahh, the stairs runner and the death trap rug on the shiny floor - I remember them well. Rolling eyes

Oh, yes, and those wooden rods that kept the stair runner in place...and collected all the dust and fluff behind them. As posh as it was, in those days, it created more cleaning jobs. Breaking your back supporting the weight of an upright Hoover, locked in the right angle position, backwards and forwards on each step. Then, bending over each step, from top to bottom, with a dustpan and brush to get all the crumbs and shite the Hoover had just flicked all over the place. Often, we would give the carpet a light spray of water to help the fluff to clump, then dustpan the whole lot.

I split my head open as a kid (this is true), after running at full speed into the kitchen and being propelled head first into the rocking knob of the under-sink cupboard, by the vicious Dandycord mat that existed just to try to kill me. Blood everywhere, hospital, stitches, the lot. My mum was absolutely hysterical at the time, but still didn't get rid of the mat.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 22nd March 2019, 9:58 AM

I split my head open as a kid (this is true), after running at full speed into the kitchen and being propelled head first into the rocking knob of the under-sink cupboard, by the vicious Dandycord mat that existed just to try to kill me. Blood everywhere, hospital, stitches, the lot. My mum was absolutely hysterical at the time, but still didn't get rid of the mat.

Remember this from the 70s ? :D

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd March 2019, 12:09 PM

Remember this from the 70s ? :D

Looks totally premeditated to me. Check out the sinister smile on her face. Doing the housework in her high heels? Don't give me that...and nobody is THAT happy to be crawling about on the floor on their hands and knees (depending on the reason, of course).

Oooh I say, is that a euphemism!? Surely not in 1946, but then he does have a certain look in his eye and is standing behind her. :P

Herc!!!

And she's bending slightly forwar..................................I'll stop now. Dirty boy! ............................(and dirty Santa) :D

Quote: beaky @ 20th March 2019, 11:09 AM

Interesting to see his use of stick-on dots sheets (the real name escapes me).

Wasn't it called screentone Beaky ?

Herc, I do like the artwork in that last one.

Quote: Firkin @ 23rd March 2019, 11:58 AM

Herc, I do like the artwork in that last one.

Yes, minimum strokes to great effect, and there have been two or three previous of this artist I have posted from this book, but we have been unable to identify who "EN" is.

Love the use of colour, but what a feeble "joke"!

Yes, but I tried to see something in it that clearly isn't there and concluded that there was no joke.