Reality Bites

Several BCG members have interesting avatars but do you ever wonder what other members look like in real life?

It's very difficult to picture somebody as anything other than their BCG avatar but, clearly, they're going to look very different in reality - unless, of course, the avatar is a relatively recent photo.

Has anybody been to a real-life BCG meeting and been surprised/amazed at how different from the image in your imagination somebody looked?

Smiley face avitar? Anonymous name...
And you wonder what others look like.
I used my own photo on here for years... Herc said I looked like the local butcher.
EDIT: and one girl on here sent me mucky pm's .

Quote: Rood Eye @ 20th March 2019, 3:09 PM

Several BCG members have interesting avatars but do you ever wonder what other members look like in real life?

It's very difficult to picture somebody as anything other than their BCG avatar but, clearly, they're going to look very different in reality - unless, of course, the avatar is a relatively recent photo.

Has anybody been to a real-life BCG meeting and been surprised/amazed at how different from the image in your imagination somebody looked?

Yes, that's odd that, as I think sometimes I am posting to the person shown, if it's a personality. I know some people awhile back thought I was scary because of my creepy HGT avatar.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 20th March 2019, 4:00 PM

I used my own photo on here for years... Herc said I looked like the local butcher.

Did I ? I thought I said the dustman. :D

(And who was this girl? Can you PM me details?) Whistling nnocently

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th March 2019, 4:17 PM

(And who was this girl? Can you PM me details?)[/i] Whistling nnocently

Wait for that rash to go first. Adding friction burn to it...well...it's just asking for trouble. You know I'm right.

Yes, you cheeky forker - I do wonder.

If I were objecting to people's use of avatars rather than genuine recent photographs of themselves, you'd have a very good point.

But I'm not - so you don't.

Accordingly, I shall continue to wonder.

Well...mine is a self-portrait of sorts. However...you would need to imagine the horror of that picture...and then multiply it by the biggest number you can think of to truly get the idea.

To be honest, I would use a picture of myself...but, if past experience has taught me anything, it's that men then tend to think...hmmm, she looks like she'd be grateful for anything...and I get rather more attention than I might want...and not in a way I might like.

I think they're more likely to shy away from a woman they think is too good for them in the looks department. Just my opinion. However, for the record...big, ugly, single girls do NOT need a good seeing to every now and then in order to feel attractive...and, no, the generous offer of a one-off shag is NOT doing her any sort of favour, it's just being an arrogant dick.

To confirm, nobody on this forum has ever behaved like this towards me...please stay calm and seated.

I look exactly like my avatar, drawn with the aid of a mirror.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 20th March 2019, 3:09 PM

Quite a few BCG meets took place in earlier times (the period when you were away), but some meetings were disrupted by trolls who did stupid things like phoning the pub to cancel the reservation made by the meeting caller, so they stopped being notified on this forum.

The meetings have sort of fallen by the wayside as most of those who attended the drink-ups have drifted away from BCG and post mainly on Facebook (or nowhere as they are too busy writing).

That ex-BCG group do still have drink-ups from time to time, but I've not been to the most recent ones as I'm finding it difficult to move about these days and they tend to be at Pubs near to but on the South Side of the Thames. The sudden inexplicable death of Renegade Carpark put a bit of a gloom over such meetings and the last one I attended (just after James' death) was more of a Wake than a celebration.

Quote: billwill @ 20th March 2019, 7:44 PM

some meetings were disrupted by trolls who did stupid things like phoning the pub to cancel the reservation

I'd bet a pound to a penny that my name was firmly in the frame when it came to discussing who was responsible for those disruptive phone calls.

Bastards!

And my only crime was to join this forum and, without so much as "by your leave", immediately set about being significantly funnier than most of the people who'd been here for years and thought they owned the effing place.

Well, I say "my only crime" but, before that on another forum, I'd had the unmitigated gall to refuse to enter into a real-life affair with a married woman who was also a member there - and so she started slagging me off to just about anybody that would listen. And, human beings being what they are, plenty of people on this forum decided to listen.

Bastards!

Still, that's all in the past now. :D

Ooohhh who was that, spill the beans.

Quote: beaky @ 20th March 2019, 5:56 PM

I look exactly like my avatar, drawn with the aid of a mirror.

No pens in your house.

*laughs at own joke.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 20th March 2019, 8:04 PM

I'd bet a pound to a penny that my name was firmly in the frame when it came to discussing who was responsible for those disruptive phone calls.

Bastards!

And my only crime was to join this forum and, without so much as "by your leave", immediately set about being significantly funnier than most of the people who'd been here for years and thought they owned the effing place.

Well, I say "my only crime" but, before that on another forum, I'd had the unmitigated gall to refuse to enter into a real-life affair with a married woman who was also a member there - and so she started slagging me off to just about anybody that would listen. And, human beings being what they are, plenty of people on this forum decided to listen.

Bastards!

Lucky you don't hold grudges!

Quote: Rood Eye @ 20th March 2019, 8:04 PM

Bastards!

Bastards!

Who? Who? Tell! Tell! Was this by any chance the site you set up after The Last Laugh competition? I seem to remember you banned masses of us for disagreeing with you. I actually felt quite proud of being banned - it confirmed me as a true member of the crowd. Ah, those were the days!

Quote: Chappers @ 20th March 2019, 11:08 PM

Lucky you don't hold grudges!

Please be assured that all the aforementioned bastards are safe from revenge attacks, cyber or otherwise.

Quote: Briosaid @ 20th March 2019, 11:35 PM

Who? Who? Tell! Tell! Was this by any chance the site you set up after The Last Laugh competition? I seem to remember you banned masses of us for disagreeing with you. I actually felt quite proud of being banned - it confirmed me as a true member of the crowd. Ah, those were the days!

I think you probably know who it was.

I can't remember banning "masses" of people and I don't think it's likely - simply because we didn't have masses of members. I do however remember banning a few people who appeared to be perfectly reasonable types but who, probably due to poor judgement on their parts, were supporting people who were simply out to make trouble. As "scorched earth" policies go, it was quite gentle and well-contained.

My apologies to any innocents caught in the crossfire.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 20th March 2019, 11:56 PM

Please be assured that all the aforementioned bastards are safe from revenge attacks, cyber or otherwise.

I think you probably know who it was.

I can't remember banning "masses" of people and I don't think it's likely - simply because we didn't have masses of members. I do however remember banning a few people who appeared to be perfectly reasonable types but who, probably due to poor judgement on their parts, were supporting people who were simply out to make trouble. As "scorched earth" policies go, it was quite gentle and well-contained.

My apologies to any innocents caught in the crossfire.

You're forgiven. At least I can boast about being banned from a message board, :D

I'm starting to think I don't have enough popcorn in the cupboards to fully appreciate this forum.