Things that piss you off Page 1,752

'So' took over from starting a sentence with 'basically' - which was worse. nevermind 'So, basically'

What are they saying to you? Either 'I'm not going to bore you with all the details or I'm going to dumb this down for you.

I use 'so' a lot when I'm trying to explain something in writing. However, I use 'basically' all the time in conversation. It's LITERALLY (<---there's another one) my most used word. Gosh, I'm in for a beating, here, if we ever meet up for a chat. I start a lot of sentences with 'honestly' and 'seriously', too. I think I just need to fill every space, in front of, after and between words with other words to keep my brain rolling. So, basically, I'm probably the most annoying person ever to talk to...literally.

I think I do start some sentences on here with "So", but never over use it and cannot see a problem with it in moderation.

BUT the word I have to rein myself in with and will regularly have to edit out is "That". For example, without thinking I started this with "BUT the word that I have to.................." and had to chuckle to myself at the irony of it if I had left it in.
I've no idea where it came from and how long I have been doing it but now check anything I type as there are usually a couple of naughty "thats" in there somewhere.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th March 2019, 9:56 AM

I think I do start some sentences on here with "So", but never over use it and cannot see a problem with it in moderation.

BUT the word I have to rein myself in with and will regularly have to edit out is "That". For example, without thinking I started this with "BUT the word that I have to.................." and had to chuckle to myself at the irony of it if I had left it in.
I've no idea where it came from and how long I have been doing it but now check anything I type as there are usually a couple of naughty "thats" in there somewhere.

Yes! I find the use of 'that' in sentences such as your example too much. I have written for people before, who actually edit it back in and I cannot stand to read my work with, what seems to me to be, a lot of needless clutter. They obviously like how it sounds. I DO use 'that' in similar sentences, but only if helps the reader make more sense of what I'm saying. If I read my work back and it makes the sentence sound bulky, I take it out.

BUT (hehe) I do find myself pondering whether I'm under using 'that', because I'm aware of how quick I am to leave it out as I type. I often have to leave something for a while, then go back to it, just to confirm it reads sensibly with/without it. I think, the less you use it yourself, the more you're jolted when you read it in other people's work. I was taught English by a very old English professor and he was extremely traditional in his methods. 'That' was a word, which should not clutter our essays.

The other one I have to watch myself on ever since I read an article about it many moons ago where someone was almost apoplectic about the use of "get" and all its variants, and when you see it in a sentence you can see that (TeeHee, I like to slip one in now and then - oooh er missus) it is just laziness in not thinking of the proper word, For e.g...................

"He received his driving licence" is better than "He got his driving licence"...........well, I think it is.

I remember my English teacher forbade the use of "get" in essays.

Of còurse the really unacceptable use of "get" nowadays is when the person in front of you in the queue asks "can I get a latte" or "can I get a burger and large fries".

Er, no the member of staff will get it. You wait there.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th March 2019, 11:12 AM

The other one I have to watch myself on ever since I read an article about it many moons ago where someone was almost apoplectic about the use of "get" and all its variants, and when you see it in a sentence you can see that (TeeHee, I like to slip one in now and then - oooh er missus) it is just laziness in not thinking of the proper word, For e.g...................

"He received his driving licence" is better than "He got his driving licence"...........well, I think it is.

I prefer to say, "I don't have any," rather than, "I haven't got any." Although, when I'm feeling me Stepney roots, I'm more likely to announce, "I ain't got none." It varies, but, in the main, I would say, "I have four apples," instead of, "I've got four apples." I use either in conversation, but I tend to stick to the 'have' rule in writing if it serves. That said, it depends what I'm writing and how I want it to come across. If I'm totally honest, though, I ain't got no apples at all, but that's not relevant.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 18th March 2019, 11:20 AM

Of còurse the really unacceptable use of "get" nowadays is when the person in front of you in the queue asks "can I get a latte" or "can I get a burger and large fries".

THAT(:D) is the insidious creeping in of Americanisms. GRRRR!!! Angry

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 18th March 2019, 11:26 AM

I prefer to say, "I don't have any," rather than, "I haven't got any." Although, when I'm feeling me Stepney roots, I'm more likely to announce, "I ain't got none." It varies, but, in the main, I would say, "I have four apples," instead of, "I've got four apples." I use either in conversation, but I tend to stick to the 'have' rule in writing if it serves. That said, it depends what I'm writing and how I want it to come across. If I'm totally honest, though, I ain't got no apples at all, but that's not relevant.

YES! We have no bananas............................ :P

In Jurassic Park, the scientist explained that the missing DNA in the helix was made up with frogs dna.
I think all American girls and a rapidly growing number of British girls also got some of that frog dna.
It's made them all finish sentences with a croak.
Normal sentence normal sentence, ah the last word in this sentence, lower the register, slacken the throat, croak the word.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 18th March 2019, 5:08 PM

In Jurassic Park, the scientist explained that the missing DNA in the helix was made up with frogs dna.
I think all American girls and a rapidly growing number of British girls also got some of that frog dna.
It's made them all finish sentences with a croak.
Normal sentence normal sentence, ah the last word in this sentence, lower the register, slacken the throat, croak the word.

The "vocal fry."

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 18th March 2019, 5:08 PM

Quote: DaButt @ 18th March 2019, 5:32 PM

The "vocal fry."

But that's nothing new as it has been around for yonks, and here from 8 years ago is, as far as I'm concerned, the best example.....................*
*...........could also be that I fancy her. Lovey

The insidious creeping in on TV now of the disgusting "M***** F*****".

Recently Noel Fielding said it on the Big Fat Quiz of the Year 2018 and Jon Richardson on one of the 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown and I have a vague recollection of David Walliams saying it on some prog. Much jollity was had by Jimmy Carr and Co. on the panels, but I fail to see what is amusing in this obnoxious phrase.

Have Noel, Jon, Jimmy et al actually thought about what they are saying?

I first heard it back in the 1970s when I used to frequent the clubs on the USAF bases, and it jarred then. It's an awful saying that should stay in the gutter of the trailer parks and back streets America.

Many years ago the now late (?) "George Roper" posted it on this forum the form of a "funny photo" much to the amusement of some brainless twats and when I complained I was told by HmmHmm moderator that if I didn't like it I shouldn't be on the forum, and I thought "charming", which is a totally different answer you will get on the BritMovie site who will not even tolerate swearing, let alone obscene phrases such as this because they say theirs site is a family site and children may be reading the posts.

Posts of more than 6 lines. I really haven't got time to read them. I'm too busy looking at other web sites.

Hi, it's me again...you know...the one with the nit problem. <waves weakly - cries a little bit>

Again, I'm struggling to keep the little shits off my girl's head. I'm winning...I am...but, I'm having to treat her hair once a week, comb any mummy lice and/or eggs out every evening...and, apart from the money it's costing to buy the treatments, my back is killing me from leaning over her all the time...in the bath, or in front of me as she watches TV...I'm literally combing her every chance I get and it's really having an impact on her happiness...and mine. The comb that deals with the eggs REALLY drags her hair...bless her.

It doesn't help that, during the school's Mother's Day service at the local church, I thought I was lucky to be sitting in full view of her, while she sat with her class in their pew...so was able to blow a few kisses and make a couple of hand hearts (well, I mostly manage the shape of a weird potato with my fingers and push it toward people - they know what I mean). ANYway...I soon ended up spending most of the service staring at one of her best friends sitting next to her, as she constantly scratched at the back of her neck and behind her ears! Later on, I asked my daughter if she could see how much her friend was scratching and she said...no...she didn't notice at all, but her friend HAD shown her some lice bites she had on her neck and face. I mean...WHA THA FA!!

I have no idea what's happening this year, as I have never experienced a school nit infestation like this before...and that includes past experience of having three kids at the same time to keep nit free. Each previous year, yes, I've found a couple of lice and dealt with the problem...and I've appreciated that other mums in the schools have done the same. Also, my kids have never had a nit problem in the Winter. This has been going on since January! I asked another mum if her daughter was having problems and she told me she just sprays her hair with mouthwash when she gets a nit letter. Her daughter is scratching like mad every time I see her.

I read on the internet of thangs that lice are becoming more resistant to shop-bought remedies, but we're talking three months of nits now. What happens if some of the other mums just never bother to try anything...even combing? What...we just go into the hotter months with an infestation all ready to thrive? There seems no solution...I'm at a total loss...and it's really pissing me OFF!

This sounds horrific. I may have suggesfed before but how about the local education authority ? Your doctor? Environmental dept (local authority)? Local councillor (who might raise it with education dept.)? Even, if you're really, really desperate and all else has failed, your local newspaper as long as you stay anonymous? I suggest all this because the school obviously aren't really bothering their arses.
And now my head is itchy. :O