Fleabag Page 4

Make-up: the stuff on her face.

I wasn't saying she doesn't mate, just that it's a ridiculous thing to mention as if it's a core part of the programme. All women wear make up.

Quote: jsg @ 12th March 2019, 1:16 AM

All women wear make up.

That is, of course, untrue.

There are literally countless women who do not wear make-up and many of them are living in the modern-day first world.

However, getting back to Fleabag, the fact that she wears make-up shows that her looks have importance to her within the context of the program and your contention that her looks have nothing to do with anything is therefore wrong.

In an earlier post, I have given reasons why her looks are in fact of very considerable significance to her and that they are, therefore, an entirely valid and relevant talking point for viewers.

Another corker of an episode. Fiona Shaw was of course sublime, nice to see Fleabag forced to confront her sadness, and loneliness, if only for a few minutes, with that meta glance to camera, as if we are her only 'friends'. The sister's line was my favourite "what you did in the restaurant was unforgivable... thank you". And the creepy step son a suitably dark way to finish, the horrific undertone of his whispered comment. Still the best thing on television.

Seriously is anybody else here watching this, the best thing on telly at the moment? Kristen Scott Thomas stole the show (obviously) and Andrew Scott being scared of a fox is sublime. But what surprised me most is how meta Bridge is getting. Until now I didn't think the characters in world could see her stuff to camera, but now they can I wonder where she'll go with it. Maybe she'll have Fleabag see a psychiatrist?

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 19th March 2019, 9:20 AM

Seriously is anybody else here watching this, the best thing on telly at the moment?

No. On the 2 or 3 occasions I've tried, it's been either about periods or miscarriages, neither of which I find particularly amusing subjects for a so-called comedy.

Vague as well, we don't know how much/what he sees, it should be interesting to see how that develops.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 19th March 2019, 10:35 AM

On the 2 or 3 occasions I've tried, it's been either about periods or miscarriages, neither of which I find particularly amusing subjects for a so-called comedy.

Why not?

I'm the same, it's crass of me but I watch TV comedy to escape. I have no problem with people raising issues that effect half the planet's population, I think it's a good thing to dilute taboos. But at the end of a long day I like to be facile and chuckle along to things that are superfluous in their nature as it helps me unwind.

"Fleabag" gives us many remarkable insights into life as a woman.

I think it's true to say that the best women comedians are not only superbly entertaining but also highly educational.

The problem is that some things, once learned, cannot be unlearned.

I'm still haunted by a one-liner from Amy Schumer that, had I heard it at the age of fifteen, would have ensured that I remained celibate from that day to this.

It has been excellent, as usual. I do admit that I cringed when she dropped the award, but it paid off with the rest of the storyline.

Andrew Scott has been a great addition, and his scenes with Phoebe have been the highlight of this series.

I'm enjoying this series immensely. I didn't get Series 1 at all, but may actually go back and revisit it as soon as I get the chance.

Quote: Andicus @ 19th March 2019, 2:44 PM

It has been excellent, as usual. I do admit that I cringed when she dropped the award, but it paid off with the rest of the storyline.

Andrew Scott has been a great addition, and his scenes with Phoebe have been the highlight of this series.

The funniest thing for me was his puzzlement at her glances to camera, although some might argue it was too postmodern for its own good.

Phenomenal. I feel like this is the first time we've seen her psycholpgically stripped bare. Where do you think it's leading? I'm loving the priest noticing her asides, I take that to mean he is the only one truly paying her attention.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 25th March 2019, 1:52 PM

I'm loving the priest noticing her asides, I take that to mean he is the only one truly paying her attention.

That's a good point, and that thing in particular where she accidentally said what she was going to say to camera to him instead and vice versa was also great.

And near the end in confession where she talks about needing order in her life was a brilliant bit. The priest / religion as themes are subtle but wonderfully observed and fit very well into the story.

Quote: jsg @ 25th March 2019, 2:09 PM

That's a good point, and that thing in particular where she accidentally said what she was going to say to camera to him instead and vice versa was also great.

And near the end in confession where she talks about needing order in her life was a brilliant bit. The priest / religion as themes are subtle but wonderfully observed and fit very well into the story.

Absolutely. And props to her for pulling the rug yet again. When he says 'kneel' and opens the door my mind immediately went to 'oh, so she's going to suck him off' but then to build the music and have that crescendo as they kiss and fumble before getting rejected by the one person she actually confided in. There's more character development and drama in each 25 min installment of Fleabag than in whole series of other stuff.