Comic Relief 2019

Apparently, donations this year are well down on last year and I'm not surprised.

I'm all for famine relief and for the relief of any other type of hardship suffered by innocent people, but I also expect Comic Relief to have a healthy dose of comedy along with all that relief. You know, in order to provide a bit of relief from all the relief.

I mean, when Lenny Henry walked out on stage as the host, I bet Google nearly crashed as every millennial in Britain scrambled to find out who the hell he is.

And what was that "Four Weddings" nonsense about? What was the point of getting all those original cast members together? I just don't know. Oh, and instead of a new bride and new groom, they had a bride and bride and instead of a best man they had - guess what? Well, I think you get the point. They also had a married couple who were both men. How very left-wing and liberal and modern and oh so politically correct! The snag is they forgot to add the comedy.

And what about that "Bodyguard" spoof? God bless us and save us from "comedy" like that!

And then we had "Mamma Mia" with Jennifer Saunders. "Jennifer who?" the millennials cry.

It wasn't all a disaster, the "University Challenge" segment was good.

As for the rest of it, it wasn't so much a case of red noses - more of red faces on those who organised it and wrote the scripts!

Red faces you mean for their Corbin propaganda?

Quote: Chappers @ 17th March 2019, 8:27 PM

Red faces you mean for their Corbin propaganda?

Well, by the end of the night the total raised was the lowest in twelve years so it seems that Tories, as well as comedy fans, might have been voting with their (closed) wallets for a much funnier and more egalitarian Red Nose Day.

Seriously though folks - there are old people in Britain frightened to turn their heating on and Meghan spends £250,000 flying on private jets to New York and back in order to have a "baby shower" with her personal friends?

I don't mind the BBC putting out a bit of left-wing propaganda when that sort of thing is happening.

PS: When Meghan was told by a guest at the baby shower that many of Britain's senior citizens cannot afford gas, electricity or solid fuel to heat their homes, she is alleged to have replied: "Let them burn gold."

PPS: Meghan's lawyers please note that I said "alleged".

PPPS: Little bit of comic relief there, folks!

I enjoyed the Bodyguard bit actually, one of the few sketches I did enjoy. Four Weddings was pointless (it's not as iconic as Richard Curtis thinks it is, unlike the Love Actually skit he did a few years back. I've only seen Four Weddings twice, latest maybe four years ago, so could hardly remember the characters). Mamma Mia was fun but not a patch on the original spoof and the Only Fools musical.... just confirmed that I never want to see it. University Challenge was the best, lot of fun and made me think that Baddiel would actually be a good host for the programme proper.

I loathe Comic Relief, and didn't watch it, but knew it'd be crap.

Quote: beaky @ 17th March 2019, 11:40 PM

I loathe Comic Relief, and didn't watch it, but knew it'd be crap.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Seems a bit strange for people on a comedy website I know but it is all the self-congratulation that I hate.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 17th March 2019, 7:52 PM

Apparently, donations this year are well down on last year and I'm not surprised.

I'm all for famine relief and for the relief of any other type of hardship suffered by innocent people, but I also expect Comic Relief to have a healthy dose of comedy along with all that relief. You know, in order to provide a bit of relief from all the relief.

I mean, when Lenny Henry walked out on stage as the host, I bet Google nearly crashed as every millennial in Britain scrambled to find out who the hell he is.

And what was that "Four Weddings" nonsense about? What was the point of getting all those original cast members together? I just don't know. Oh, and instead of a new bride and new groom, they had a bride and bride and instead of a best man they had - guess what? Well, I think you get the point. They also had a married couple who were both men. How very left-wing and liberal and modern and oh so politically correct! The snag is they forgot to add the comedy.

And what about that "Bodyguard" spoof? God bless us and save us from "comedy" like that!

And then we had "Mamma Mia" with Jennifer Saunders. "Jennifer who?" the millennials cry.

It wasn't all a disaster, the "University Challenge" segment was good.

As for the rest of it, it wasn't so much a case of red noses - more of red faces on those who organised it and wrote the scripts!

Agree with all of your points made - What is the point in Lenny Henry these days? Or should I say 'these years'? He's nothing but an angry modern day liberal. I also detest Paddy Mcwhatshisface just as much. Sense of arrogance with him. Not a funny or likable bloke in my opinoin.

It is an age-old question, but every other year, Comic Relief raises some serious cash for Africa. Where the hell is this money spent? I feel like after decades of fund raising, and not to suggest Africa is 'sorted' now, but I see nothing in place to stabilise large parts of civilisation living areas over there. But it's one of those monsterously big charities which pays silly money to CEOs and board directors to run the charity. I personally prefer donations to much, much smaller charities.

Four Weddings - only Rowan was remotely funny in this. Especially being awkward at how to address 'man and wife' moments. But yeah, Curtis is an absolute cucky flakey toss piece. I do still really love 4waaf though. That remains a solid classic. Probably "too British" now for Cucky Curtis and co now.