HOW MUCH !!!!? Page 7

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 9th March 2019, 7:36 PM

It sounds like the question is do Sky have the right (is it in their T&Cs) to take money from an account under any circumstances without prior notice to the customer

If I understand the situation correctly, stakes and winnings related to any particular betting event are not transferred between the customer's bank account and Sky bet's bank account.

When setting up an account with Sky bet, a customer transfers money from his bank account to an account controlled by Sky: this money is the customer's betting fund from which bets are placed on individual events.

Because this betting fund is controlled by Sky bet, they have the right to add to it or take from it as they see fit.

Clearly, they're not going to steal from it (hopefully!) but any legitimate addition or subtraction is fine.

On any rational view, they are perfectly entitled to recover monies paid in error to such an account.

The good news is that at 3:44 PM this afternoon, Sky bet announced that they were paying out on both results.

It's clearly a goodwill gesture as they have no legal responsibility to pay out on any horse that fails to do what the customer bet it was going to do.

The course bookmakers were upset.
They had paid out cash to winning punters and then had to pay out again.
But, you never see a poor course bookie.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 9th March 2019, 8:20 PM

The course bookmakers were upset.
They had paid out cash to winning punters and then had to pay out again.
But, you never see a poor course bookie.

On-course bookies and betting shops are not required to pay out on any race until the jockeys have weighed in.

The snag is that, if they wait until the weigh-in before paying out, they're likely to have an absolute multitude of punters queueing up for payment - and that not only annoys punters who have to wait for ages to get paid, it also prevents other punters from placing bets because there's a huge crowd in front of them. Such punters, particularly on-course, are highly likely to go to a bookie with a smaller crowd to place their bets.

Under all the circumstances, it makes perfect sense for bookies to begin paying out as soon as the result is announced - as the official result is, in the vast majority of cases, not going to be different from the result first announced.

Needless to say, when the official result is different, on-course bookies and betting shops will lose money but that's the price they have to pay for keeping their businesses running smoothly the other 99+ % of the time.

I think timing and the power of social media helped with this one Ste as Cheltenham starts on Tuesday so I doubt they need tweets etc sending out a 'A whiff of Welch'
Lets be honest it only take a few people to get ripped off these days before it goes almost viral and the bookies know it and have to act. So I'm made up you won
I don't bet much I'll have a 20p ew Lucky 15 each day of Cheltenham though . I don't know form or anything? I have however always assumed that racing was fixed. The equivalent of Hartlepool winning the Champions League happens almost every week in broad daylight over 5 furlongs in a straight line on manicured grass, so it's hard to miss.
So my bet is simple I pick a horse beginning with C A S &H to spell cash downward and hope for the best. I got it up three years ago and won about 1200 quid creating high jinx at Teddy Towers, (At one point I may have had a cigar)

Now this system isn't that random as I look for the horses in the grey box that lists all the tipsters picks and then if I can't find the letter I need I look for it on the race sheets and pick one that is the closet to 11/2 as that's my lucky odds.
And while Its not scientific I do like to wear a white lab coat with several pens and a protractor in the top pocket and use a magnifying glass and a calculator while I'm doing it, as I find it unnerves the bookie and unnerving your opponent is the key to any caper.

I'm very glad to say that I've never got involved in gambling.

I bet you are

Quote: Chappers @ 10th March 2019, 9:39 PM

I'm very glad to say that I've never got involved in gambling.

I'm very glad I did (although I prefer to call it investing). I need the additional income now I've retired.

I'm about to attempt to install Microsoft Access 2007 on my laptop. I found a Microsoft Office DVD cheap on eBay for a bargain price of £6.99 (yes, yes, I know), which should contain all the other Office applications I would like to use again...like Publisher and Access. It's a version that was previously used on PCs/laptops that no longer have it installed, so the serial number SHOULD work for it as a new disk.

I don't need the latest versions of these programs, as I only need a few of their basic functions for my purposes, but they are still way more advanced than those I was using years ago.

I already have the usual Office programs, like Word and Excel, but these are a later version (2010). I'm hoping the 'new' disk doesn't do anything to the Office programs already installed. I'm assuming I can tick what I do and don't want installed.

What am I saying...I'm just hoping this disk won't completely kill my laptop.

One thing, though...there is a program called Microsoft Groove. I have never used that. Apparently, it allows access to documents and files within a group of people. Seriously...I have never heard of it. Just to say...I'm currently doing everything I can to stop a current version of One Note trying to do things for me. It even tries to take documents into its clutches, instead of letting me print them. To have the option to save to One Note in the drop-down print section is bizarre. NO!

Anyway, I hope this DVD is not a con...especially as the listing quite clearly states at the bottom, "Sale limited to 3 items per buyer due to scammers." What AM I doing.

If I never post again...you'll know the worst has happened. Or...more likely...you'll just be like...well that's a relief. :-)

We wouldn't say that lady Leg.
I for one enjoy your posts.
But putting programs in arse about face might cause problems.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 12th March 2019, 12:01 PM

I already have the usual Office programs, like Word and Excel, but these are a later version (2010). I'm hoping the 'new' disk doesn't do anything to the Office programs already installed. I'm assuming I can tick what I do and don't want installed.

I wouldn't count on a decade-old program to place nicely with newer software and operating systems.

Have you tried Libre Office? It's a free office suite that's used by millions of people and it's essentially 100% compatible with Office. If you're only using the basic parts of Office, it'll probably work for you.

https://www.libreoffice.org/

If I never post again...you'll know the worst has happened. Or...more likely...you'll just be like...well that's a relief. :-)

Sadly we have lost a lot of nice ladies on here from all around the world - I used to chat to quite a few in the early hours of the morning, but they all seem to have gone now.............................mind you asking them about what colour knickers they were wearing at 3 in the morning didn't help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thVTj__T8A4

Quote: DaButt @ 12th March 2019, 12:17 PM

I wouldn't count on a decade-old program to place nicely with newer software and operating systems.

Have you tried Libre Office? It's a free office suite that's used by millions of people and it's essentially 100% compatible with Office. If you're only using the basic parts of Office, it'll probably work for you.

https://www.libreoffice.org/

Well...it does say it's compatible with any brand of PC and any operating system and has unlimited installations. I'm feeling in a dangeously trusting mood today...a rare thing for me. (It's installing, as I type) I would have a swig of Baileys to keep my spirits up, but I have to pick my girl up at 3, so I can't be turning up even slightly wankered for that.

Ah...it's just finished...and I seem to have been able to deselect the applications I already have, so I keep my more modern versions.

Just clicked to open Access and it's all looking okay, so far. Funniest thing, though. The first thing Access 2007 wants to tell me is...and get this...'What's new in Access 2007'. Well...nothing...now.

Mind you...it looks to be A LOT different to how I remember it in 1998...so, in a way, I've upgraded...sort of...a bit.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th March 2019, 12:19 PM

Sadly we have lost a lot of nice ladies on here from all around the world - I used to chat to quite a few in the early hours of the morning, but they all seem to have gone now.............................mind you asking them about what colour knickers they were wearing at 3 in the morning didn't help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thVTj__T8A4

I don't wear knickers at 3am in the morning. I hope this helps.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 12th March 2019, 12:32 PM

I don't wear knickers at 3am in the morning. I hope this helps.

Gulp..............:$

I'm about to attempt to install Microsoft Access 2007 on my laptop. I found a Microsoft Office DVD cheap on eBay for a bargain price of £6.99.

Update: This is working brilliantly on my Windows 7 laptop. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-Office-2007-Word-Excel-PowerPoint-Outlook-Access-Publisher-etc/283401651379?epid=6003542421&hash=item41fc0e04b3:g:-UUAAOSwcB5ZKwwd Lots of sellers are selling these disks even cheaper than this. They look/feel like the original disks and you can deselect the programs you don't need, if you already have a more recent version. I'm guessing companies are revamping their systems and these can be offloaded to people, like me, who just need good solid applications without the hassle of buying extra licences. Great for kids' laptops, seeing as the most recent versions are SO expensive and often require regular subs.

I know there are similar downloadable versions of these types of software, but I'm one of those people who just like to physically hold a disk in my hand. I SAID DISK!!

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 13th March 2019, 9:56 AM

Update: This is working brilliantly on my Windows 7 laptop.

One thing to note: Microsoft ended support for Office 2007 in 2012, so security updates will not be forthcoming. It would be wise to run a robust antivirus/anti-malware solution, since any vulnerabilities discovered by the bad guys won't be fixed by Microsoft.