Home

Any thoughts?

Really good so far, good cast, well written.

My problem with it is that it's based on the premise that a wife would bring an adult male refugee into the family home against the will of her husband.

That means that the wife is a total c-word (in the genuinely nasty sense) and the husband is a total c-word (in the submissive and easily-put-upon sense).

That is an excellent recipe for serious drama.

Sadly, however, it's not a situation upon which a decent sitcom can be based.

It's the same premise as Paddington

Quote: Rood Eye @ 13th March 2019, 12:55 PM

My problem with it is that it's based on the premise that a wife would bring an adult male refugee into the family home against the will of her husband.

That means that the wife is a total c-word (in the genuinely nasty sense) and the husband is a total c-word (in the submissive and easily-put-upon sense).

That is an excellent recipe serious drama.

He is not her husband.

It is her house not his.

He is supposed to be a bit pathetic.

The man of the house being a bit pathetic has been the premise of just about every domestic sitcom ever.

Quote: jsg @ 14th March 2019, 8:40 PM

It's the same premise as Paddington

'He is not Paddington!' is a line from the show, though I agree he essentially is.

This is an excellent sitcom, and I say this as the sort of unthinking borderline racist who would have been provoked by the sort of smug hand-wringing Guardian liberalism that this could easily have become. The programme is warm, thought-provoking and genuinely funny. All the cast are excellent but Youssef Kerkour is a real find.

Quote: Tursiops @ 16th March 2019, 9:37 PM

He is not her husband.

They may not be legally married but they live together as man and wife and so he is, therefore, what is often referred to as her common-law husband.

It is her house not his.

Regardless of who owns the house, it is an outrage for one of them to bring an opposite-sex adult to live in the home against the wishes of the other.

He is supposed to be a bit pathetic.

A bit pathetic is fine but, in accepting a stowaway Syrian immigrant (who neither he nor the woman knows from Adam) into his home to sleep under the same roof as himself, his partner and her young boy, he is among the most pathetic individuals who have ever walked the earth. And let's not get into the question of what sort of mother would let such a stowaway immigrant move into her home.

The man of the house being a bit pathetic has been the premise of just about every domestic sitcom ever.

See my reply above.

A very strange thing in episode two: it turns out that Sami (the stowaway Syrian immigrant) isn't a Muslim. He's actually a Christian!

I don't know why the writers decided to make him a Christian. I would have understood immediately if Muslims were all bad people and they wanted the public to understand that Sami, contrary to expectations, had not come over here with the express purpose of blowing the f*ck out of some innocent English concert venue.

I would have thought there was a huge amount of anti-racist mileage in his being a Muslim. You know, with him being such a nice bloke and all?

Many years ago, the excellent comedy programme "Goodness Gracious Me!" did more good for race relations in Britain than just about anything else before or after it when millions upon millions of white viewers began to suspect that brown people might not really be all that different from white people. Their skin colour was different, of course, but they seemed to be almost identical under the skin. Who'd have thought it?

It seems the writers of "Home" have missed a massive - and blindingly obvious - opportunity here.

Are they completely stupid?

Are they worried about offending intolerant viewers?

Do they want to broadcast the message that Syrians (and similar types) are perfectly okay as long as they're Christian?

Or what?

That post office scene was beautiful
That bigot got exactly what he deserved

Quote: Rood Eye @ 13th March 1819, 12:55 PM

That is an excellent recipe serious drama.

Fixed the obvious error for you

It was very slow to start in the first two but it really got going tonight. Perhaps would've been good to have the set on All 4 in the first place or something so you could watch a few and get a feel for it.

I disagree - think it's been quite consistently good from the off!

Really pleasantly pleased and surprised by the series. Rufus has done a wonderful job.

It wasn't bad before, just slow. Its identity was clearer here, funny and very moving both in a broader sense and in a personal one

What station is it on? If it's Sky it's out of my range.

If only there was a website...

It's on Channel 4, Dave.

Quote: Aaron @ 20th March 2019, 6:16 PM

If only there was a website...

It's on Channel 4, Dave.

It doesn't actually say at the top here. Generally it does and I can't be arsed to go through all the trouble of going through six different pages.

It's just one click, then all the info you could need is in the header of the page. :)