Warren Page 4

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 5th March 2019, 6:48 AM

Beginning to dislike him intensely . . . he's just a nasty piece of work.

I find him quite likeable and I sympathise with his ongoing grumpiness.

The writing is a bit rough and ready in places but the inherent talent of the writers shines through.

I have a feeling a lot of viewers are going to find "Warren" very funny and hence very well worth watching.

I really enjoyed Episode 2 last night and felt it was a massive improvement on the first one. Whilst it's not the best sitcom ever, it's certainly not bad at all.

I will certainly be watching the rest now.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 4th March 2019, 10:25 PM

Episode two was a thoroughly enjoyable half-hour.

The only thing that lept out at me as "wrong" was the listing of the injuries (I won't say whose as it would be too much of a spoiler). I would have made no mention of any injuries, thereby suggesting that he was dead. If he'd been dead, it would have been very funny (comedy deaths have been accepted by comedy audiences since time immemorial) and the entire episode would have been even funnier than it was - but the listing of serious injuries is a very different thing.

For those who are not enjoying "Warren", I wonder if it's because Martin Clunes seems miscast?

The thought has occurred to me a number of times.

I partially agree with you; the first episode was desperate but the second showed promise and with a diffeent actor in the lead role may have been more beliveable.

That said, any sympathy I may have had for the sitcom vanished with the final so-called "gag" about running over the cat for real, Any sitcom that has to resort to gratuitous animal cruelty to get laughs disgusts me and so I won't be watching the rest of the series.

Quote: G180e @ 5th March 2019, 10:07 AM

I really enjoyed Episode 2 last night and felt it was a massive improvement on the first one. Whilst it's not the best sitcom ever, it's certainly not bad at all.

Agreed.

Quote: Basil Rathbon @ 5th March 2019, 2:09 PM

That said, any sympathy I may have had for the sitcom vanished with the final so-called "gag" about running over the cat for real.

Also agreed. Completely unnecessary and unwarranted. Great way to spoil an otherwise delicious episode, ending on such a downer.

Quote: Basil Rathbon @ 5th March 2019, 2:09 PM

Any sitcom that has to resort to gratuitous animal cruelty to get laughs disgusts me

I take your point but, in the interests of fairness, I have to say that accidentally hitting or running over an animal with a car while driving that car in an otherwise safe and lawful manner is not animal cruelty.

It's also true to say that there is no evidence that the cat was hurt when colliding with the car although I accept that the rather loud "clunk" on the soundtrack implies otherwise.

At the end of the day, however, I agree that the incident was potentially highly offensive to a great many viewers.

I didn't like it but I bet a lot of young viewers thought it was hilarious and, of course, the scriptwriters are young themselves.

Oh well, that's youngsters for you! Huh?

IT WASN'T A REAL CAT!

Quote: Chappers @ 5th March 2019, 6:57 PM

IT WASN'T A REAL CAT!

That's true, especially if you take the view that nothing is real.

Driving is easy with eyes closed
but it'll get you banned, you'll see.
It's getting hard to pass your test
but it all works out.
It doesn't matter much to me or Warren Thompson.

Yeah I'm done with this one now. One hours worth of material and all we know about Warren is he's a complete arse with no discernible reason for being so. He's an awful human being who deserves everything he gets. In fact that he's managed to be a driving instructor this long stretches credibility considering his astonishing lack of interpersonal skills. I tried, but you can't love em all!

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 5th March 2019, 7:19 PM

In fact that he's managed to be a driving instructor this long stretches credibility considering his astonishing lack of interpersonal skills.

A fair point if it were a serious drama but one might as well wonder how on earth Rigsby ever managed to keep a house full of paying tenants or how Basil Fawlty ever managed to have a hotel full of guests or how Alan Partridge ever managed to keep a job as a TV presenter.

I could go on but the point is that it's a sitcom.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 5th March 2019, 7:27 PM

A fair point if it were a serious drama but one might as well wonder how on earth Rigsby ever managed to keep a house full of paying tenants or how Basil Fawlty ever managed to have a hotel full of guests or how Alan Partridge ever managed to keep a job as a TV presenter.

I could go on but the point is that it's a sitcom.

And? Saying "it's a sitcom' isn't a valid defence of bad characterisation/writing.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 5th March 2019, 7:51 PM

And? Saying "it's a sitcom' isn't a valid defence of bad characterisation/writing.

Indeed it isn't, but it's a valid defence against the accusation that Warren would be unlikely to have a successful driving school business in real life.

To be fair, those other sitcoms are also theatrical, bigger-than-life audience shows whereas this is not: by its production it has the pretence of somewhat more reality and believability.

And also you have to feel sorry for him being married to that stupid tart.

Making light of the other poor driving instructor's - who Warren was maliciously harassing - horrendous injury at the end just wasn't funny and struck me as just cruel!

NOW it's picking up and was a great episode tonight, and at last has me laughing.