I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,016

Quote: Rood Eye @ 11th March 2019, 12:47 AM

The position is not open to white applicants, unless they can demonstrate that they are poor.

Do people of other races have to prove that they are poor? Although at £20,000, you'd soon be considered poor, right?

Quote: DaButt @ 11th March 2019, 12:56 AM

Do people of other races have to prove that they are poor? Although at £20,000, you'd soon be considered poor, right?

Black, Asian and people from minority ethnic groups don't have to be poor in order to apply.

£20,000 is decent money for a youngster in the UK.

The average pay for a receptionist or a care assistant is about £18,000.

I suppose the BBC would say that the trainee journalist could go on to earn very good money in later years, using the training he/she received at the BBC.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 11th March 2019, 12:47 AM

The position is not open to white applicants, unless they can demonstrate that they are poor.

Oh dear what "progress" we've made - I have such mixed emotions over that. Sad and Mad. Thank God I won't be around much longer to see more of it.

I think it gives someone a chance , lets be honest Oxbridge /Footlight people get theirs all the time with the BBC so whats wrong with convincing others that there's a chance? Its not like its the only job they have is it?

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 11th March 2019, 1:01 PM

I think it gives someone a chance , lets be honest Oxbridge /Footlight people get theirs all the time with the BBC so whats wrong with convincing others that there's a chance? Its not like its the only job they have is it?

OK if they say just missed out on this or that qualification (as I did at 11 plus Angry) but surely it must be done on merit primarily. I was going to say What if................, but that seems pointless as it is obvious what would happen if they advertised it as "black applicants need not apply". Whatever way you look at it, it is racist.

And PLEASE don't anyone give me that "positive discrimination" guff, as that is SO tiresome. Sleepy

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th March 2019, 3:30 PM

PLEASE don't anyone give me that "positive discrimination" guff

Okay, I won't.

Instead, I'll put in a good word for negative discrimination (and racism in particular).

It's not always a bad thing.

World heavyweight boxing champion, Jack Johnson, was refused a ticket for the Titanic because he was black.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 11th March 2019, 4:03 PM

Okay, I won't.

Instead, I'll put in a good word for negative discrimination (and racism in particular).
You naughty person you

It's not always a bad thing.
So give me an instance please - me lugs are pinned back

World heavyweight boxing champion, Jack Johnson, was refused a ticket for the Titanic because he was black.
Irrelevant - a totally different time in a totally different world, and my God I'll bet he was glad they did!

What if the merit clearly exists but the idea that they wouldn't stand a chance with the Beeb prevails?

What kind of world has it become when people are actually making jokes over the death of a new born baby. Not here but I've seen people making fun of the death of Shamima Begum's baby on news websites and saying how it would have become a terrorist. The mentality of some people is shocking.

I also think the way her case has been handled is wrong and could even be a breach of her human rights. I'm not defending her or her actions but a lot of other people have been allowed back to Britain and faced interrogation and monitoring so it seems she is being dealt with differently because of all the media attention. But no-one seems to be 100% certain that it's 100% legal.

Nobody seems to know what happened to her other children.
So I imagine altered Oscar Wilde/pygmalion quotations are rife.

I do not care one jot about an indoctrinated from birth person that would happily see me dead by whatever evil means and think they were doing some fictional deities work.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 11th March 2019, 7:06 PM

I do not care one jot about an indoctrinated from birth person that would happily see me dead by whatever evil means and think they were doing some fictional deities work.

Isn't that suggesting that every child raised in Syria is going to grow up to automatically become a terrorist? Even with fanatical parents there is no way of knowing how a childs life will turn out and that was my point. I also thought someone would have stepped in to try and pursuade the government to allow her home and immediately put the baby in to foster care and and have no further contact with his biological mother rather than knowingly leave it in an unsafe environment. It was a British citizen and I've just noticed Jeremy Hunt said it was too dangerous to send a rescue mission so it looks like it was a consideration but deemed too dangerous for regular army but not a priority for special forces. I can understand that as it's not something the SAS would be called up for but where were crisis charities like Amnesty International, Red Cross or Save The Children? Maybe the sensitive subject matter makes it bad for the image.

In the days before nuclear weapons or aeroplanes, Abraham Lincoln said "Shall we expect some transatlantic military giant to step the ocean and crush us at a blow? Never! All the armies of Europe, Asia, and Africa combined, with all the treasure of the earth in their military chest, with a Bonaparte for a commander, could not by force take a drink from the Ohio in a trial of a thousand years. At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer. If it ever reach us it must spring up amongst us; it cannot come from abroad."

Similarly, in the modern day and age, how is a military organisation with limited numbers, limited finances and no access to nuclear weapons going to take over the United Kingdom?

Oh, wait a minute! I've got Abraham Lincoln coming through on the Ouija board, and he's got Enoch Powell with him.

I wonder what they've got to say?

I think I'll apply. I can prove I'm poor.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 11th March 2019, 7:45 PM

Oh, wait a minute! I've got Abraham Lincoln coming through on the Ouija board, and he's got Enoch Powell with him.

I wonder what they've got to say?

Perhaps they can answer this: -

"It's not always a bad thing"

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th March 2019, 11:27 PM

Perhaps they can answer this: -

"It's not always a bad thing"

You will find an instance in the post from which you quote.