Men Only Page 3

Original artwork of Hynes here if you've got £200 to splash out :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Edward-Sylvester-Hynes-Original-Artwork-1940-s-Men-Only-Magazine/292990623881?hash=item44379a2089:g:Z9cAAOSw78xcfBqI

Do you know of him by the way?

There are two copies of Hynes' Cocktail Cavalcade currently for sale on Amazon: one at £30 and one at £70.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0716G5BZD/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=

Yes, I see what you did there - printed verbatim from this link that I posted this morning.

https://irishcomics.fandom.com/wiki/Edward_S._Hynes_(1897-1982)

Whistling nnocently

With his knowledge of cartoonists I was wondering whether beaky had actually heard of him.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th March 2019, 11:37 PM

Yes, I see what you did there - printed verbatim from this link that I posted this morning.

You are, in fact, correct.

I've removed the content: if anybody's interested, they can click your link.

You are a gent and maybe a scholar for all I know. ;)

No, I've never heard of him until now.

Now, that's a crap cartoon in my opinion - neither the joke nor the drawing are much cop.

Agree. Doesn't have one endearing feature. The drawing is all wrong, for e.g. the two drink glasses do not make sense and the joke is poor. But that's how I view it.

So, beaky you seemed to be very knowledgeable and a fan of the early 20th century cartoonist, but given what you have said so far, I get the impression you are not too impressed with the immediate post war cartoonists?

Do you think that was a bad period or bad magazine artists in this case? And if it is the period, when do you think it became good? The 60s?

Now that's more like it.

I was intrigued by the game 'Halma' I have never heard of it.
I found out it's a game of strategy invented in the late 19th century

Yes, have heard of it but never played - looks intriguing though. The thinking person's ludo?

Halma?

A world comprising four differently-coloured communities, with each community living peacefully as far as possible from every other community?

I've never heard of this game but - don't tell me - as soon as anybody makes a move towards integration, all hell breaks loose - right!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th March 2019, 10:48 AM

Agree. Doesn't have one endearing feature. The drawing is all wrong, for e.g. the two drink glasses do not make sense and the joke is poor. But that's how I view it.

So, beaky you seemed to be very knowledgeable and a fan of the early 20th century cartoonist, but given what you have said so far, I get the impression you are not too impressed with the immediate post war cartoonists?

Do you think that was a bad period or bad magazine artists in this case? And if it is the period, when do you think it became good? The 60s?

On the contrary, Herc. I love lots of the post war cartoonists, led by the incomparable Ronald Searle. The beautiful Anton cartoon is another case in point. All eras have their good and bad cartoonists, as you've shown with the examples you've posted.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 12th March 2019, 8:28 AM

Now that's more like it.

I was intrigued by the game 'Halma' I have never heard of it.
I found out it's a game of strategy invented in the late 19th century

My mum taught us all to play Halma, it was her absolute favourite, but ours was just the usual folded cardboard in a box...not a spectacular wooden one. Back then, when kids' TV only lasted until Zebedee sprang off somewhere for the evening, we played all those games, like Monopoly, Scrabble, Snakes and Ladders etc. Halma was a huge part of my childhood. If four people played, it was carnage once we all started approaching the middle of the board. Good memories, thanks...and I am very sure I still have it in a cupboard somewhere, along with the original Battling Tops and Haunted House (the one with the metal ball that could bounce down the stairs and knock you to the bottom again.