Fleabag Page 3

Very happy to see this back. The addition of Andrew Scott worked well.

What a loathsome character Martin is.

Just worked what "Fleabag" is.
It's "Miranda" written by Tom Stoppard.
I think it's great.

Quote: Lazzard @ 5th March 2019, 2:55 PM

Just worked what "Fleabag" is.
I think it's great.

Excellent definition!

Quote: Lazzard @ 5th March 2019, 2:55 PM

Yes, you could certainly say that.

I'd say "Fleabag" is "Miranda" written not from the funny bone but straight from the ****.

I'm sorry but I just can't get my head around her talking to the camera so I gave up after about 10 minutes.

I will try watching this as I've heard good things
But will try not to believe the hype as that will make it disappointing

Phoebe Waller-Bridge has way too much talent going on in one place, Fleabag is sublime.

Plus she's gorgeous.

Quote: beaky @ 9th March 2019, 1:46 PM

Plus she's gorgeous.

I agree, wholeheartedly.

Her looks have nothing to do with anything, keep the misogyny to yourself

As for tonight's show, I thought it was very good. I probably would've put Partridge on at 9 and this on at half post though.

It's nice to have a modern take on religion that isn't sledgehammer, Gervais-style, even if we only see the take through the programme's usual filter. The cutaways and the talking to camera / narration represent such short portions of each episode but add so much, they're used very effectively in my opinion. There's lots of cases for each of series that haven't done this well.

We only really ever see these situations through her lens, you don't tend to get two other people talking to each other for instance, the focus is laser-focused on her, giving it a personal touch. But unlike a lot of series that heavily centre one particular character, it's kept interesting. I love seeing the relationships between her and her friends and family, the outdoor scene(s?) in this episode for instance. You could easily imagine a more balanced version of the programme where the other characters get a more equal share of the screen time, but it's not necessary. It feels like we're seeing a fleshed out world through her filter.

Fleabag does a lot of things very well, it's immersive, and it's funny.

Quote: jsg @ 11th March 2019, 11:56 PM

Her looks have nothing to do with anything

Are you listening, Beaky and Andicus?

You two think Fleabag is gorgeous whereas, although I'd certainly describe her as an attractive woman, I wouldn't go as far as "gorgeous". That's verging on hyperbole.

Given that the sitcom "Fleabag" is based on the ups and downs of a single, thirty-something woman in modern-day London who goes to the trouble of wearing make-up, having her hair done and dressing smartly in order to conform with society's norms and demands and also, of course, to attract sexual partners, I'd say her looks are obviously very important to her for those reasons alone.

However, one of the many additional crosses Fleabag has to bear is her deep-rooted and self-damaging belief that her sister is significantly more attractive than she, herself, is.

It is, therefore, wrong to suggest that her looks have nothing to do with anything - because the blindingly obvious fact of the matter is that her looks have a significant amount to do with almost everything.

Her looks are an integral part of her psyche and, as a result, an integral part of the drama: it is therefore not unreasonable for viewers and critics to comment upon them.

In closing, I would add that Phoebe and Fleabag are, in my view, perfectly decent-looking women and I'm sure they will lose absolutely no sleep if they ever find out that they are, however, not among the handful of women on television today who I, personally, would describe as "gorgeous".

P. S. Gorgeous or not, I definitely would. :D

Quote: Rood Eye @ 12th March 2019, 12:42 AM

who goes to the trouble of wearing make-up