Searching Page 2

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 5th March 2019, 12:31 AM

I've just checked and you don't need to click on the search button. Just type in a search term, wait a few seconds for suggestions to appear and then click on them to show the results.

That's always worked for me - as long as I'm searching for the title of an official BCG information page.

However, if I'm searching for a word or phrase that I think might be included either in a thread heading or in an individual post, nothing of that nature ever appears in the drop-down menu.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 5th March 2019, 12:39 AM

Yes, that's always worked for me - as long as I'm searching for the title of an official BCG information page.

However, if I'm searching for a word or phrase that I think might be included either in a thread heading or in an individual post, nothing of that nature ever appears in the drop-down menu.

I don't think the search functionality is that powerful to be able to pull up results like that. It would take a lot of database related shenanigans which is expensive to maintain.

You can use the google search bar and include comedy.co.uk. It should list thread results with the keywords you specified.

I think I've solved the problem!

Every day, I click "overview" and "active threads" many times but only in the last few seconds have I ever noticed that on the same row as those two clickable words, there is a clickable word "search".

If I click "search", it takes me to the search engine I need. :D

Hurrah! I also just noticed I was very wrong about saying the database wasn't powerful enough because I hadn't noticed the drop down list for "Threads" "Posts" and "Threads and Posts", Doh!

Changing that to posts returns more results than can be displayed and it even says "sorry, too many results please refine your search" although I can't see a way to refine the search.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 5th March 2019, 1:04 AM

I think I've solved the problem!
Every day, I click "overview" and "active threads" many times but only in the last few seconds have I ever noticed that on the same row as those two clickable words, there is a clickable word "search".
If I click "search", it takes me to the search engine I need. :D

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 5th March 2019, 1:10 AM

Hurrah! I also just noticed I was very wrong about saying the database wasn't powerful enough because I hadn't noticed the drop down list for "Threads" "Posts" and "Threads and Posts", Doh!
Changing that to posts returns more results than can be displayed and it even says "sorry, too many results please refine your search" although I can't see a way to refine the search.

Saints preserve us............................Yes, it's all there my children if you care to look. Unimpressed

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 3rd March 2019, 10:07 AM

Yes it has been a pain and hopefully you have resolved it Aaron, and while we're on the subject - a minor inconvenience is the emoticons do not go where you want them to.............Grrrr.

Put your cursor where you want it to be and it either goes above or below the whole post and then you have to cut and paste it where you actually want it. Say, end or start or mid post.

Or is that just me. :(

That's a known quirk, and something we're hoping to be able to improve upon in future. Thanks for flagging it as something that is an active bother though.

If anyone wants to back and help us develop the site, please consider donation: https://www.comedy.co.uk/donate/

Quote: Rood Eye @ 4th March 2019, 11:27 PM

I've just typed in "Chappers" (without quotes) and clicked the magnifying glass - nothing happens.

I've just typed in "Tony Hancock" (without quotes). Numerous names appeared in a drop-down list while I was typing it in and when "Tony Hancock" appeared in the list, I clicked it and was taken to the official BCG information page.

If I type "Tony Hancock" (without quotes) in the box and click the magnifying glass - nothing happens.

It still seems impossible to locate thread titles or thread content.

Aha! I see what's happened. You're using the global site-search, rather than the forum-specific search. https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/search/

We hope we'll be able to unify these better in future and provide a much more intuitive, Google-like search experience, but it'd require an expensive software licence that we simply cannot afford at present. Again, any donations would help reach such goals...

As for the magnifying glass, that is intended to be an illustrative icon rather than a button and so isn't clickable. I'm aware it's not hugely clear and will be altering it a little later this year, when we'll be making some changes to the site header.

The "Active Threads" button does not bring up all the active threads.

Threads from certain sections of the site never appear when that button is clicked.

The "Opportunities" section, for example.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 8th March 2019, 1:58 PM

The "Active Threads" button does not bring up all the active threads.

Threads from certain sections of the site never appear when that button is clicked.

The "Opportunities" section, for example.

So as not to bother regular visitors, the writer/performer forums only display if one has the applicable box selected in one's account, currently labelled Make It. https://www.comedy.co.uk/account/edit/

Quote: Aaron @ 8th March 2019, 2:35 PM

So as not to bother regular visitors, the writer/performer forums only display if one has the applicable box selected in one's account, currently labelled Make It. https://www.comedy.co.uk/account/edit/

Top info!

Thanks.

The "Search" facility still needs some tweaking.

I tried to search for Al Murray's Great British Pub Quiz and it couldn't find it, but I accessed it in the end via another route, so checked again on why the Search didn't find it, and do you know why? Because I put a full stop at the end of it.! >_<

It's too fussy!

Never had a problem finding the forum search tab and using the options...but...diving off topic for a sec, I do have a problem with losing a longing post I'm in the middle of bashing out, after accidentally clicking on something else on the page, either by grabbing the mouse to stop it falling off my belly (yes I do) or waking up the touch pad, which then does whatever it wants, quite frankly.

I'm aware I can undo the sudden deletion of a randomly selected block of text by clicking - edit>undo - in the browser menu, but I'm talking about being taken to another page on the BCG site...and being unable to retrieve my text by using either the 'back' arrow or selecting the page I was on in history. The text is gone completely on returning to the page. Nothing works (that I know of).

Hence, I have taken to typing my posts into a Notepad window first, then cut/pasting it into the reply field when finished. Although, sometimes, I think I'm only going to post a short paragraph, so start typing into the BCG reply field, only to forget how shit I am at only doing short posts. Saying that, I'm actually typing into the reply field right now...shitting myself as I watch the scroll bar get shorter and shorter...no...fk it, I just copied/pasted it into a Notepad file...the stress was getting too...omg!

Anyway...it would be really helpful if a clever website personage could cause pages with reply fields to throw up a warning, asking something like, "Are you sure you want to leave this page and lose any changes you have made?" with an OK button, but also a CANCEL button...and advice that you should, "Click CANCEL to stay on this page." Something like that.

I can't be the only one this happens to. If I am...well...FML. :-/

That's a good idea and I've lost posts before because of my sausage fingers. I'm not sure if that pop up would be something implemented in to the website code or if it's browser controlled and is a feature of the browser you can turn on/off.

I use Notepad++ because you can have multiple text files open at the same time and it auto saves every character stroke so if you had a powercut you don't lose anything and you don't have to keep manually saving it. You can also change the background colour and I change it to yellow which is easier on my eyes than white.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 7th May 2019, 4:56 PM

That's a good idea and I've lost posts before because of my sausage fingers. I'm not sure if that pop up would be something implemented in to the website code or if it's browser controlled and is a feature of the browser you can turn on/off.

I use Notepad++ because you can have multiple text files open at the same time and it auto saves every character stroke so if you had a powercut you don't lose anything and you don't have to keep manually saving it. You can also change the background colour and I change it to yellow which is easier on my eyes than white.

Glad it's not just me then. I have normal Notepad, which lets me have more than one window, but not sure how I could get the ++ version. It sounds like something I need.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 7th May 2019, 5:42 PM

Glad it's not just me then. I have normal Notepad, which lets me have more than one window, but not sure how I could get the ++ version. It sounds like something I need.

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.6.6.html

Select one for 32bit or 64bit. It's a free and very small download and completely trustworthy website. Let me know if you have any problems configuring it.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 7th May 2019, 5:57 PM

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.6.6.html

Select one for 32bit or 64bit. It's a free and very small download and completely trustworthy website. Let me know if you have any problems configuring it.

Oh, I see...it has multiple tabs going on...not just the ability to open multiple instances of the normal Notepad for access via the taskbar. I have installed it and it looks a bit Wordpaddy. I'll have a little five minute go later. Thanks for the link. :-)