Cash for jokes? Page 2

This Joke site pays weekly cash prizes for jokes: http://www.ajokeaday.com.

They pay out for the top 10 jokes each week. 1st place is $50:

http://www.ajokeaday.com/prizes

Must be legal US Resident to be eligible to win cash prizes...

Must be willing to cut and paste according to that leaderboard.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 7th July 2016, 2:32 PM BST

Must be legal US Resident to be eligible to win cash prizes...

What about if we adapt the TTIP? Would that help?

Guys im.new to this so a bit of guidance please
Where would i send my jokes to
Thanks

You and the rest of us brother.

Anyway, different for me I've already been told where I can stick mine..

Any idea what I would do with a comedy sketch I've written? It's a visual joke, rather than a written one.

Film it.

It needs expensive props though. :-(

Write one with cheaper props!

Quote: Humpty Dumpty @ 8th March 2019, 10:30 AM

Any idea what I would do with a comedy sketch I've written?

I think 99% of comedians, when asked that question, would immediately come up with the same answer.

Lazzard is to be commended for taking the humanitarian option.

I would have thought that there is a way of sending written sketches into the BBC, or whoever. Then if they thought it was good enough, they would buy the props etc. and film it. I'm sure that's how it used to work in the 70's and 80's.

Quote: Humpty Dumpty @ 8th March 2019, 1:05 PM

I would have thought that there is a way of sending written sketches into the BBC, or whoever.

Yes, sketches may be emailed or sent through the post to the appropriate person/department at any TV production company that accepts unsolicited sketches.

Then if they thought it was good enough, they would buy the props etc. and film it. I'm sure that's how it used to work in the 70's and 80's.

That's certainly how it used to work in the 70s and 80s if your name was Ronnie Barker.

Quote: Humpty Dumpty @ 8th March 2019, 10:30 AM

It's a visual joke, rather than a written one.

I'm assuming you mean that it's a sketch without dialogue?

If so, it still has to be written in order that everybody involved in its production has a readily accessible reminder of what's supposed to be happening.

As a writer who has not yet established his indispensability to the world of comedy, you would be ill-advised to make life any more difficult for yourself than it need be. Lazzard has given you some excellent advice when he tells you to write a sketch with cheaper props.

Whether you're writing a 30-second sketch or a 2-hour Hollywood blockbuster, the more expensive it is to produce the less chance there is of anybody wanting to produce it.

It does have dialogue, yes. I could easily write it out and use drawings, if need be, of the visual parts.
So, id I did that, where/who would I send it to please?

I would have thought that there is a way of sending written sketches into the BBC, or whoever. Then if they thought it was good enough, they would buy the props etc. and film it. I'm sure that's how it used to work in the 70's and 80's.

What planet are you on?
A)You'd have to tailor it for a particular show and particular performers
B) You'd then have to send it to the producers of that particular show - who won't read it because...
C)...that show will already have professional writers offering them work
D) Have you seen how many sketch shows are currently on TV? (Clue: F**k all)
E) For how it worked in the 70's & 80's see points A,B & C.

Sorry to be so blunt, but you seem to have got the wrong end of the stick vis a viz sketch writing - best to find out these things sooner rather than later.