The Oscars Page 2

Quote: deckard @ March 7 2010, 11:46 PM GMT

If this was classic British tongue in cheek, then it is one of the best posts I have ever read.

It wasn't.

I found it quite funny that James Cameron lost the award for best director to his ex wife. Just cos I'm nice like that.

Can't believe that Deuce Bigelow won "Best director".

I always liked watching the first 10 minutes - the dresses on the red carpet and the opening of the ceremony, but after that I lost interest. Don't bother now.

Bigelow's quite hot and Milfy from a distance. Good director, too. The vampire thing she did was excellent. As was Strange Days. And Point Break's a classic.

Quote: Aaron @ March 8 2010, 2:35 AM GMT

It wasn't.

Nah, I didn't understand that either.

It was just a grumpy old man post !

Angry

Quote: chipolata @ March 8 2010, 10:27 AM GMT

Bigelow's quite hot and Milfy from a distance. Good director, too. The vampire thing she did was excellent. As was Strange Days. And Point Break's a classic.

Point Break is brilliant.
I'm glad she won best director. It's kind of nice that there's a well known woman who makes action films not chick flicks.

First the vote now an Oscar. You'll be wanting multiple orgasms and everything next. Harrumph Angry

Interesting to see a lot of criticism over Green Book winning the best picture Academy Award. It was only a few years ago, 2016 to be precise, that people were crying over the absence of black actors among nominees for four categories. So now the best picture award goes to a not-very-amazing film about an African-American pianist. Sadly, there was not a single actor from East Timor or Cambodia among the nominees at this year's Oscars. It's heartbreaking that this sort of disgusting racism that still flourishes in Hollywood.

It's entirely possible that the Oscars have never been an entirely honest affair: nepotism, bribery, mutual back-scratching and many other forms of corruption have probably always influenced the results.

This year's results, however, were either significantly more honest than usual or significantly more corrupt, depending on how you look at it.

There were outcries in 2015 and 2016 about the traditional shortage or absence of non-white winners and female winners of Hollywood's most prestigious trophies. This year, for some reason, white men didn't take home all the chips. So what's changed?

Is it the case that, in years gone by, the best people in each category have almost always been white men? Or is it the case that in years gone by, women and non-whites have been denied their just deserts by the industry's inherent sexism and racism?

It's impossible to say, simply because quality in art is entirely subjective.

One thing, however, is for sure: Hollywood has changed - and whether that change is for better or worse is a matter as subjective as the quality of its movies and people who make them.

Quote: Kenneth @ 26th February 2019, 5:10 AM

It's heartbreaking that this sort of disgusting racism that still flourishes in Hollywood.

Disgraceful. Also what dumbfounds me is all the fuss they made about "all of us being actors now" and then still have awards for best actress or whatever - f**king pathetic double speak.

I really have no interest in the Oscars or Baftas or any other awards. Although having seen the Favourite I'm pleased that Olivia has got the recognition she deserves from her career.

What about that splendid dinner jacket/gown? The clothes are the only interesting thing about the Oscars.

Just finished watching Series 3 of Monty Python and the last prog. "Grandstand" had Michael Palin doing a brilliant Frank Bough and an even more brilliant Eric Idle doing an excellent luvvie combo that looked suspiciously like Dicky Attenborough at the Baftas, when amongst other things David Niven couldn't make it and so sent his fridge complete with bow tie, whilst Eric/Dicky had to
finally resort to a water pump to created even more tears to go with his fawning.

Hilarious

Was hoping for a bit of good old drama at these Oscars... but nothing of note that I saw :/