Newsjack Series 20 - February 2019 Page 20

I think the word 'bloody' was broadcast though I could be wrong. I think the word 'bitch' was. I put 'bloody' in both my attempts at sketches this week. Probably should not have but it seemed to fit the rhythm and context. I guess if they do not want to use a swear word they can take it out or replace it, if they like the sketch.
Also think I have heard 'shit' broadcast. I don't think they will do anything stronger than these and I guess they won't litter the show with such words. I guess it is all about context and humour.

Quote: Danno @ 7th March 2019, 12:58 PM

@ Rood Eye I wouldn't worry about the whole one-liner thing, it's a bit of a misnomer.
Hardly any of the jokes are proper textbook one-liners and that's because they are 'breaking news', so have to be written in such a style i.e...the story followed by the punchline (as highlighted by TrashBat). The GWBW and Newsjackpedia are obviously slightly different and provide a platform for a different type of humour and therefore open things up a bit for different types of thinking.
If they really really really love your joke, the invention is all there but it's a bit wonky, they'll tweak it. I think that's fair to say.
Also, it's highly likely that the joke you think is your bestest bestest bestest ever...won't be the one they pick.
Fair comment (I'll put this to the house)?Geek

Will let you know if I ever get one on Danno!

I try and keep to one-two lines tops. But sometimes you hear ones which are definitely more.

I notice on the example sketch that each line of dialogue is numbered sequentially.

However, on the template, there are no line numbers.

Is it essential/desirable to number each line of dialogue?

Also (while I'm at it) if I have two sketches, do I write them both in the same Word doc or do I use two separate Word docs?

Thanks.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 7th March 2019, 4:15 PM

I notice on the example sketch that each line of dialogue is numbered sequentially.

However, on the template, there are no line numbers.

Is it essential/desirable to number each line of dialogue?

Also (while I'm at it) if I have two sketches, do I write them both in the same Word doc or do I use two separate Word docs?

Thanks.

I am no expert but you do not need to number. I would do two separate docs.

Separate docs.

Don't worry about numbers, they'll add this.

However, I find it's good practice to count the numbers in your head. You want to be below 20. The sketch I had broadcast was 17 by final edit (I think).

Thanks, chaps!

Quote: Danno @ 7th March 2019, 1:58 PM

depends on the context and tone. if it's rude/silly/clever then you never know. i've got to stop masquerading as an authority on newsjack...i'm far from it. my sketches are awful.

I am sure they are not awful Danno.

Newsjack have teased "Movies, Millennials, Chris Grayling and more!" in tonight's episode.

Guessing that doesn't narrow it down for many? I had one on Netflix changing endings but I'm not feeling overly confident.

Yeah, my only sketch was about a retirement home for white saviours.

Quote: Thosisd @ 7th March 2019, 5:04 PM

Newsjack have teased "Movies, Millennials, Chris Grayling and more!" in tonight's episode.

Guessing that doesn't narrow it down for many? I had one on Netflix changing endings but I'm not feeling overly confident.

Hopeful though.
Not for me. I did Blair and cannabis for some strange reason and wacky gifts.

That could be "and more"!

Good luck everyone. Man, I hate Thursdays.

Quote: Thosisd @ 7th March 2019, 5:16 PM

I hate Thursdays.

That's fine.

However, if Mondays start to annoy you, you might want to seek professional advice before anything terrible happens.

Ooh, I'm in!

Quote: Auditchris @ 7th March 2019, 6:01 PM

Ooh, I'm in!

Well done - is that second week running, or was that ExeChris ?

Cheers! No - I had something in week three.