Men Only

For those missing my Punch cartoon thread, here is a short lived one off on the cartoons I have extracted from a copy of "Men Only" that a friend lent me.

Clearly taste and comedy value have changed somewhat in 50 years, whereas artistic quality has deteriorated. (?)

These are all from the Christmas 1948 edition I thought would be of interest, with some especially enjoyable for the PC brigade.

The day may not be far off when sexism is remembered very fondly by both men and women who miss the days when every human being was either male or female. Nowadays, with an infinite number of genders to cope with, it's very difficult to remember which genders are crap at driving and which are good at it.

I get that women have worked extremely hard over the years to be accepted as equals, which in a lot of respects they really should...ie. intellectually, employment opportunities etc., but I still can't understand how it can be seen as equality, when men can still be objectified in adverts and on TV shows without backlash. Does nobody every ask themselves, "If this was the other way around, would we be hit with the sexism stick?"

I am a woman...and, although, I haven't been on the receiving end of a wolf-whistle or a slap on the arse for many years now, being older and less slappable (strokes beard), I do remember women behaving in a similar way towards men in the pubs and clubs. Yes, yes, there's a case for improving some men's attitudes towards women...but, whereas men cannot do ANYthing male to female anymore, it's all a bit fluffy around the edges where the female to male rules are concerned.

A lot of men still don't bat an eyelid at being frisked by a woman as she wanders by to the bogs. Women still do it because men don't tend to react negatively. If that guy then immediately followed her and did exactly the same back in a pub full of PCers? Hmmm...I don't think so.

Men and women are totally different creatures despite what anybody may say.

It's not just about the sex organs: it's about every aspect of their being.

I think women are great but I've never known one who could reverse into a parking space in one attempt.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 7th March 2019, 2:10 PM

Men and women are totally different creatures despite what anybody may say.

It's not just about the sex organs: it's about every aspect of their being.

I think women are great but I've never known one who could reverse into a parking space in one attempt.

I can't even drive. Had fifty lessons, two driving instructors (no, I didn't accidentally reverse over the first one), neither would put me in for a test...both said I talked too much! Sexist bastards!!

Looks at the lovely line in that cartoon! In the days when a man could be arrested for having wobbly trousers.

Hi beaky was hoping you would pick this up, otherwise I was going to PM you. :D

Very short run this compared to previous! So, what is your take on these post war cartoons/do you know any of them/quality - compared to Punch. No comparison in my eyes but you're the expert. :)

Well done, Herc. The more cartoons the better, in my opinion!
I know the style of the above policeman cartoon, but can't think of the name. Look at the beautiful detail of the buildings in the background! The first one, apart from the woman looking like Marlene Dietrich, doesn't hold much interest for me, being rather silly and sexist. Typical of the time, of course.

I don't mind jokes that take a rise out of a person's gender, race, religion, disability or sexual orientation - as long as the joke isn't intended to hold its target up to ridicule or contempt.

Basically, if the joke comes from a good place (as the saying goes), it's okay with me.

Punch is aimed at readers who are both intelligent and well-educated.

Men Only is aimed at readers who are men.

I liked the detailed building drawings.
They tell you it's late at night with only a few people still up.

I had lots of cartoons published in Men Only when I was starting out, so I can't complain!

Quote: beaky @ 8th March 2019, 6:42 PM

I had lots of cartoons published in Men Only when I was starting out, so I can't complain!

I imagine quite a few BCG members have contributed to the pages of Men Only, in one way or another.

Quote: beaky @ 8th March 2019, 6:42 PM

Oh wow! In the style you use now or something completely different? I don't think it's still being published is it?

Quote: Rood Eye @ 8th March 2019, 7:20 PM

I imagine quite a few BCG members have contributed to the pages of Men Only, in one way or another.

Dirty boy.