Searching

Wanted to post to a thread I started last year, but foolishly I didn't record its title and cannot remember what it was. Searched the obvious in my head but to no avail, so what I would like to know is......................is there any way of seeing ALL the posts you have made, i.e. not just the recent 10?

AND is there any way you can search for another BCG member by their moniker?

Leave Monica out of this!

Can you think of any key words or unusual phrases in your old post? When you do a search you can use the drop-down menu on the right to search for posts, not just threads - that's how I usually find stuff, like songs I posted.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th January 2017, 12:05 PM

Wanted to post to a thread I started last year, but foolishly I didn't record its title and cannot remember what it was. Searched the obvious in my head but to no avail, so what I would like to know is......................is there any way of seeing ALL the posts you have made, i.e. not just the recent 10?

Not at present, no. Something that'll be coming soon.

In the meantime, try searching for single words to find the thread rather than longer strings of text.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th January 2017, 12:05 PM

AND is there any way you can search for another BCG member by their moniker?

There used to be, but analysis showed no-one ever used it, so we removed it.

Quote: George Kaplan @ 30th January 2017, 12:22 PM

Leave Monica out of this!

Can you think of any key words or unusual phrases in your old post? When you do a search you can use the drop-down menu on the right to search for posts, not just threads - that's how I usually find stuff, like songs I posted.

Thanks George will give it a go.

Moniker sends her love.

Quote: Aaron @ 30th January 2017, 5:34 PM

Not at present, no. Something that'll be coming soon.

In the meantime, try searching for single words to find the thread rather than longer strings of text.

There used to be, but analysis showed no-one ever used it, so we removed it.

Good

Will do thanks

Pity

OH........MY........GOD! I suddenly remembered that Gordon B (that lovely yodeller from chocolate and cheese land) had posted a photo to the thread I was looking for of a lookalike Eddie Hitler and that is what I put in the search AND IT FOUND IT!

I DON'T BELIEVE IT! And there it is...................TOP of the search "Celeb Spotting"

Nice one Aaron and Co. , and thank you GB! :D And George. :)

Before posting a new thread, it would of course be handy to know whether or not a similar thread has already been started.

If memory serves, it used to be a simple matter to type something into the search box and see whether that word or phrase had ever been used either in a thread or as the title of a thread.

Nowadays, however, the search box often refuses to respond to anything I type in it. On other occasions, when it does respond, it supplies links only to pages of official site information rather than to threads.

Is it just me or has something changed or gone wrong?

Quote: Rood Eye @ 2nd March 2019, 4:49 PM

Before posting a new thread, it would of course be handy to know whether or not a similar thread has already been started.

If memory serves, it used to be a simple matter to type something into the search box and see whether that word or phrase had ever been used either in a thread or as the title of a thread.

Nowadays, however, the search box often refuses to respond to anything I type in it. On other occasions, when it does respond, it supplies links only to pages of official site information rather than to threads.

Is it just me or has something changed or gone wrong?

I've just tested this on Chrome and when I type in something in to the searchbar a list of suggestions appear in a drop down menu.

My search term is "Absolutely" without the quotes and it brings up a drop down list of suggestions five of which are members of the cast (Jack is not listed) but when I click on Gordon Kennedy there are no results. When I click on Morwenna Banks it shows two threads both from 2014. Interestingly when I click on "Absolutely (1989 TV Sketch Show)" it has no thread results but when I type in Absolutely and click the search button it lists 11 different Absolutely themed threads. I'm not sure what is generating the entries in the drop down list but it seems ignoring them and hitting the search button gets better results which could make it confusing for people who click on a suggested search term assuming that is the best way of searching the database.

Sorry about that, chaps! It was regretfully overlooked when other changes to the search functionality were made. Thanks for reporting your experience: it should now be fixed.

Quote: Aaron @ 2nd March 2019, 9:13 PM

Thanks for reporting your experience: it should now be fixed.

Alas, nothing has changed for me - except that I now realise that some of the things I type into the search box will produce a drop-down menu of words and phrases containing the letters I've typed.

However, most of the things I type in the search box produce no drop-down menu and, even when the drop-down menu appears, it contains only links to official BCG information pages. There are never any links to posts or to members.

Quote: Aaron @ 2nd March 2019, 9:13 PM

Sorry about that, chaps! It was regretfully overlooked when other changes to the search functionality were made. Thanks for reporting your experience: it should now be fixed.

Yes it has been a pain and hopefully you have resolved it Aaron, and while we're on the subject - a minor inconvenience is the emoticons do not go where you want them to.............Grrrr.

Put your cursor where you want it to be and it either goes above or below the whole post and then you have to cut and paste it where you actually want it. Say, end or start or mid post.

Or is that just me. :(

I've just learned to ignore the drop down and search what I've typed in.

Quote: Chappers @ 4th March 2019, 8:26 PM

I've just learned to ignore the drop down and search what I've typed in.

I've just typed in "Chappers" (without quotes) and clicked the magnifying glass - nothing happens.

I've just typed in "Tony Hancock" (without quotes). Numerous names appeared in a drop-down list while I was typing it in and when "Tony Hancock" appeared in the list, I clicked it and was taken to the official BCG information page.

If I type "Tony Hancock" (without quotes) in the box and click the magnifying glass - nothing happens.

It still seems impossible to locate thread titles or thread content.

The magnifying glass isn't clickable (at least it's not for me) on Chrome and is just an icon indicating the search area. The green button on the right is used to initiate the search and I've noticed now the results of searching from the drop down menu matches the results from bypassing the drop down menu. Try a different browser such as Chrome, Firefox and at a push IE.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 4th March 2019, 11:43 PM

The magnifying glass isn't clickable (at least it's not for me) on Chrome and is just an icon indicating the search area. The green button on the right is used to initiate the search and I've noticed now the results of searching from the drop down menu matches the results from bypassing the drop down menu. Try a different browser such as Chrome, Firefox and at a push IE.

For me, on Chrome and Firefox, the magnifying glass becomes bigger when I move the cursor onto it but clicking it has no effect.

For me, on Chrome and Firefox, there is no green button to the right of the magnifying glass or anywhere else - except the green button at the extreme left under the message box (the one we click to post a message).

Odd how you can't see the green search button on multiple browsers. It could be a resolution issue on your monitor that's changing the display. Try holding the CTRL button and using the mousewheel or +/- keys to change the size of the browser window to see if it comes in to view. It's definitely a local issue because it doesn't seem to be affecting everyone.

I've just checked and you don't need to click on the search button. Just type in a search term, wait a few seconds for suggestions to appear and then click on them to show the results.