This Time With Alan Partridge Page 4

Quote: Andicus @ 1st March 2019, 5:09 PM

I thought it was mostly funny. I particularly got a good laugh out of the hand washing bit.

Each to his own. Some twat reporter said on local TV about that: "Another bit of classic Partridge that will go down in TV history".......................ER,.... NO. >_<

Truly we are being spoiled, the Gibbons' are about to shoot another Partridge series, unrelated to This Time, as well as a Comic Relief sketch next Friday. https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5229/another_alan_partridge_show/

I'll only be truly delirious if it's a third series of I'm Alan Partridge...

Lucy Mangan, writing in the Guardian, gave the first episode a 5-star review and praised it as if she'd been paid a hell of a lot of money to do so and Steve Coogan were giving her one into the bargain.

If Ms Mangan's lawyers are reading this, I'd like to say that I'm sure she wasn't paid and he isn't giving her one. It's just that her review was so absolutely ridiculously fulsome in its praise that I couldn't imagine what else on earth could have motivated her.

It got a lot of 5 star reviews, and most people really liked it. If that weren't the case you'd have a point

Quote: jsg @ 3rd March 2019, 10:53 PM

It got a lot of 5 star reviews, and most people really liked it. If that weren't the case you'd have a point

Most people really liked it?

There are 7.5 billion people on earth.

Name me 3,750,000,001 of them who really liked it and you might have a point.

(Do you see what I did there?) :D

But seriously though, here's a link to Lucy Mangan's review: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/feb/25/this-time-with-alan-partridge-review-an-excruciating-white-knuckle-ride#comment-126283319

If you scroll down after the review, you'll find (currently) 1677 comments from Guardian readers. I haven't read them all but it seems clear that a great many of them were disappointed with the first episode of "This Time".

Quote: Rood Eye @ 3rd March 2019, 11:13 PM

Most people really liked it?

There are 7.5 billion people on earth.

Name me 3,750,000,001 of them who really liked it and you might have a point.

(Do you see what I did there?) :D

:D

Quote: Rood Eye @ 3rd March 2019, 11:13 PM

If you scroll down after the review, you'll find (currently) 1677 comments from Guardian readers. I haven't read them all but it seems clear that a great many of them were disappointed with the first episode of "This Time".

Only cranks comment on news articles.

If I was going to be suspicious of any review of the show, it would be this one: https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/8508172/alan-partridge-steve-coogan-vehicle-piers-morgan-beyond-parody/

It's one of the few (one of two, as far as I can tell) negative reviews, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but hardly any details about the programme itself are brought up. Plus, for some reason the reviewer is convinced that it's a parody of Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid, instead of the obvious One show pastiche it really is. I can only assume Good Morning Britain wanted a bit of cheap advertising.

Quote: jsg @ 4th March 2019, 9:24 AM

:D

Only cranks comment on news articles.

If I was going to be suspicious of any review of the show, it would be this one: https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/8508172/alan-partridge-steve-coogan-vehicle-piers-morgan-beyond-parody/

It's one of the few (one of two, as far as I can tell) negative reviews, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but hardly any details about the programme itself are brought up. Plus, for some reason the reviewer is convinced that it's a parody of Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid, instead of the obvious One show pastiche it really is. I can only assume Good Morning Britain wanted a bit of cheap advertising.

Brilliant review! Piers Morgan a "great bison-headed oaf" Strange thing about the Sun, some of its content is splendid, although it's still a dreadful rag.

Quote: beaky @ 4th March 2019, 11:13 AM

Brilliant review! Piers Morgan a "great bison-headed oaf"

I agree - a detestable man and I'm at a complete loss as to why he is on TV.

The best thing I ever saw with him do was when he had a go at Ian Hislop on HIGNFY and Ian shot him down in flames. All Piers Moron could do was to stutter out some childish insult. Effin' wanker.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 4th March 2019, 11:50 AM

I agree - a detestable man and I'm at a complete loss as to why he is on TV.

The best thing I ever saw with him do was when he had a go at Ian Hislop on HIGNFY and Ian shot him down in flames. All Piers Moron could do was to stutter out some childish insult. Effin' wanker.

Have you seen him with Dame Edna (and the Little Britain chaps)? https://youtu.be/lT3vCNispgg?t=1771 The Piers section starts: https://youtu.be/lT3vCNispgg?t=1356

Re This Time with Partridge, does it get stuck into PC culture? Or is it more about meandering cringe?

The latter, Kenneth.

I think I heard someone say that the first episode was just to establish it and the rest were the main show, but it feels like the first one was a normal show and this was a bit of necessary plot. Both really funny though

I've just watched Episode Two and it was very largely crap - and I mean seriously crap.

The above review is, in fact, even more damning than it at first appears because I've loved Alan Partridge for years and years.

The last five minutes, however, were absolutely great. Nothing to do with the character of Alan Partridge or anybody's performance and nothing to do with genius scriptwriting but it was clever, brave and topical scriptwriting.

If tomorrow's papers give this episode favourable reviews, I shall lose what little faith I have in professional TV reviewers.

I understand the character and what they're trying to do but really the laughs were few and far between.

Quote: Chappers @ 4th March 2019, 10:38 PM

I understand the character and what they're trying to do but really the laughs were few and far between.

Yes, most definitely few and very far!